Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Technical Topics iDrive, Nav, Phone, Audio, Video, Cameras, Electronics 2022 G21 330e subwoofer install

07-13-2023, 04:54 AM   #1
Mickelin
Rep
Drives: 330e

2022 G21 330e subwoofer install

Haven’t seen any of these, so hopefully I’ll get it right. I salvaged my JL Audio sub, amp and LC2i from my previous car and will attempt to install in my ”new” G21. Just realized there are two 12V batteries: one under the trunk and one on the right hand side. Guessing the best option is to connect to the right hand battery. I have the Harman Kardon sound system, so will tap into the booster harness for the signal. Not sure about the wires. There is a black/white, blue/gray, black/green and a yellow/purple. Anyone know which is which? (L+, L-, R+, R-) Would rather not have to dismount the seats to trace to the underseat woofers. I will use the ground point in the left side bay. Finally, I will need to find a suitable remote signal in the right hand side fuse box. Any tips on which one to use?
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      07-14-2023, 06:01 AM   #2
Mickelin
Rep

Watching a Bimmertech under seat sub replacement video I have confirmed that the black/white and blue/gray are the right side sub wires. How to determine polarity without access to the speaker?
Appreciate 1
      07-17-2023, 11:12 AM   #3
Mickelin
Rep

No replies despite 100 views. Guess I am on my own. Oh well, I’ll keep posting, maybe it will help someone else.

Removed the seats to verify the pairs. Driver side sub wires are now confirmed as black/green and purple/yellow, passenger side blue/gray and white/black.

Still unclear which is + and -, but at least they will be in phase. Guess I will have to try both ways and see which sounds best.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      07-17-2023, 01:44 PM   #4
Mickelin
Rep

Based on this diagram that I found, I’m guessing that the purple/yellow and the black/white are the + leads. 50% chance I am right…
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-18-2023, 10:19 PM   #5
Throatpunch
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 E93 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickelin View Post
Watching a Bimmertech under seat sub replacement video I have confirmed that the black/white and blue/gray are the right side sub wires. How to determine polarity without access to the speaker?
Multimeter and lowest voltage setting. Positive will yield + voltage and if u have it reverse it will be - negative values
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2023, 08:46 AM   #6
Mickelin
Rep

I have now Finished the install using a custom made harness, an Audio Control LC2i converter, a JL Audio JX250/1 amp and a JL Audio CP108LG sub. My assumptions about the wires above were correct. The bass improvement is fantastic. I now have solid and clear bass at all volume levels. I will now code in the B&W DSP profiles and see what the HK system is ultimately capable of.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2023, 12:29 PM   #7
Mickelin
Rep

Coded the Bowers & Wilkins profiles into my HK system. The Concert and Stage profiles together with my new sub and some eq tweaking sound fantastic!
Appreciate 1
      09-20-2023, 05:05 AM   #8
lolamorena
Rep
Drives: 2024 430i coupe

Quote:
Haven’t seen any of these, so hopefully I’ll get it right. I salvaged my JL Audio sub, amp and LC2i from my previous car and will attempt to install in my ”new” G21. Just realized there are two 12V batteries: one under the trunk and one on the right hand side. Guessing the best option is to connect to the right hand battery. I have the Harman Kardon sound system, so will tap into the booster harness for the signal. Not sure about the wires. There is a black/white, blue/gray, black/green and a yellow/purple. Anyone know which is which? (L+, L-, R+, R-) Would rather not have to dismount the seats to trace to the underseat woofers. I will use the ground point in the left side bay. Finally, I will need to find a suitable remote signal in the right hand side fuse box. Any tips on which one to use?
Hello. I am thinking about installing a kicker hideaway sub powered with the battery in the trunk. You said you powered yours with the battery on the right. Is that the one in the front of the car under the hood?
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2023, 03:00 PM   #9
Mickelin
Rep

No, there is no battery under the hood. There is one in the right side of the trunk, one under the trunk floor.
Appreciate 1
      09-27-2023, 03:57 PM   #10
lolamorena
Rep
Drives: 2024 430i coupe

Quote:
No, there is no battery under the hood. There is one in the right side of the trunk, one under the trunk floor.
Hey, would you happen to know what color wire is a 12v wire good to tap into on that harness that goes into the Amp?
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2023, 01:17 PM   #11
Mickelin
Rep

The amp should be connected straight to the battery!
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2024, 10:53 PM   #12
alpineg20
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW m340i xDrive (Alpine)

Garage List
Quote:
I have now Finished the install using a custom made harness, an Audio Control LC2i converter, a JL Audio JX250/1 amp and a JL Audio CP108LG sub. My assumptions about the wires above were correct. The bass improvement is fantastic. I now have solid and clear bass at all volume levels. I will now code in the B&W DSP profiles and see what the HK system is ultimately capable of.
Thanks for sharing the details on your install. I am getting ready to install a sub in my ride. Did you connect the + and - from both under-seat subs to the LC2i?
Appreciate 0