Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Technical Topics iDrive, Nav, Phone, Audio, Video, Cameras, Electronics Wireless Charge Pad

01-07-2024, 04:42 PM   #1
m440i804
Rep
Drives: m440i

Hi,

This is the charge pad that came in my 2022 m440. It shows that it has nfc, and wireless charging according to symbol on from, however it won’t charge phones. It does however recognize my phone as the electronic key. Do you all think with chip shortage being in place when this board was built it could be missing the charging components?

I see several pads available used with the same mdl number with later production dates, do you think they will work? Or what is the newest part number for the tray?

Thanks
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-07-2024, 05:48 PM   #2
AM340iMiami
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i

I in no way know the answer to your question. But I have the charging pad and it blows. Barely charges my phone and makes it super hot. I’d be fine without mine.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2024, 07:25 PM   #3
Delighted_Jester
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i

Do you mean it does not charge your phone? If thats the case there may be another problem. All wireless charging pads should charge regardless of being equipped. The only difference is non 6DW cars have no antenna cable running to the charger. On your car, does the plug have 6 wires, the same # as on that charging pad?
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2024, 07:35 PM   #4
m440i804
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delighted_Jester View Post
Do you mean it does not charge your phone? If thats the case there may be another problem. All wireless charging pads should charge regardless of 6DW (or exec package in LCI). The only difference is non 6DW cars have no antenna cable running to the charger.

If you mean it doesnt have a reminder on the bottom of the cluster, you can code it in via Bimmercode. Be forwarned that coding in the reminder without having it fully retrofitted will throw an error code in ista in relation to the lack of an antenna cable.
It does not charge my phone or a few other phones when placed on the pad. The led never comes on. In doing some research it seems like wireless charging was deleted from some cars during chip shortage. Was just wondering of the possibility of my charge pad having nfc components active, but something missing in the charge circuit. I’m not looking to have the reminder coded in, just the charging.

But you do bring uo another question I have. Can Bimmercode be used on a car with a locked DME?
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2024, 08:43 PM   #5
Delighted_Jester
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i

Yes Bimmercode should work on a car with a locked DME. I believe that just concerns engine tuning (DME locked or not) I will say, Bimmercode is very limited imo.

I guess youre right about BMW stopping any possibility of retrofitting the charging pad, its a shame. On my 2020 G20 it plugged right in and worked. Perhaps you can look into aftermarket options.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2024, 09:14 PM   #6
m440i804
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delighted_Jester View Post
Yes Bimmercode should work on a car with a locked DME. I believe that just concerns engine tuning (DME locked or not) I will say, Bimmercode is very limited imo.

I guess youre right about BMW stopping any possibility of retrofitting the charging pad, its a shame. On my 2020 G20 it plugged right in and worked. Perhaps you can look into aftermarket options.
No, I’m not saying they stopped allowing the charge pad to be retrofitted. The one that I pictured is the original non working(charging) one that came in my 2022. I’m trying to find a part number of a newer working oem charge pad that will work in my car. As I said the charge pad pictured works great for the nfc portion of things, just won’t charge.

Do you know the latest part number for the charge pad?
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2024, 10:43 PM   #7
orinjohnson
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 2022 330i xDrive

Garage List
  [0.00]
I had exactly this issue on my 2022 330i - pad looked like it should do both but only had NFC and didn’t charge due to chip shortage. I just retrofitted with what I think is the latest part number, bought from Paddle Shifterz. It arrived super quickly, was an easy replace, and with coding also has the forgotten phone reminder present.

This is the one I got: https://paddleshifterz.com/product/o...y-84105a3e813/

Part number: 84105A62826 (the url has an older part number in it, FYI).
Appreciate 2
      01-11-2024, 08:23 AM   #8
Zeros
Private
Rep
Drives: 2023 330e & 2013 528i

Quote:
Originally Posted by AM340iMiami View Post
I in no way know the answer to your question. But I have the charging pad and it blows. Barely charges my phone and makes it super hot. I’d be fine without mine.
I have to agree here. Whenever I use the wireless charging pad it makes my Galaxy s23 Ultra super hot. When I take it off the charger, I have to wait a minute for it to cool down before the screen on my phone will even respond. Its so useless.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2024, 12:24 AM   #9
Mag_Ice_DL
Rep
Drives: 530 xDrive; 330e xDrive

I have the same issue: there is a charging + NFC pad installed in my G20 but it works only as NFC reader. But then I noticed that connection to Carplay with Waze active all the way drains so little amount of juice off my iPhone and my other car (G31) makes iPhone pretty hot in summer while charging, I just stopped worry about that.