Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums AUSTRALIA Rear window tinting causes light refraction issues

06-29-2020, 08:11 AM   #67
firetitanx
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i M Sport 2020(G20)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slideit View Post
Here's how my 330e and our Outback compare, using a torch on a chair:
Mmmmh your seems worse Slideit...aargh

Another test you could do is park your wife's car behind yours and switch on the headlights for a true test as the cars headlights are much more powerful than a torch and then send that photo to your tinter
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2020, 08:14 AM   #68
Slideit
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 330e

Quote:
Originally Posted by firetitanx View Post
Mmmmh your seems worse Slideit...aargh

Another test you could do is park your wife's car behind yours and switch on the headlights for a true test as the cars headlights are much more powerful than a torch and then send that photo to your tinter
No thanks, she already thinks I'm crazy/obsessed/childish.
Appreciate 1
Don76169.00
      06-29-2020, 08:15 AM   #69
firetitanx
Lieutenant
Rep

Hahaha, you should tell her "My car is my LIFE !!!"...actually maybe that would land you sleeping in your car...so maybe not , its a bit cold out
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2020, 06:07 PM   #70
Slideit
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quick update.
Took a couple of days to get the guy in. He works for the tint film supplier.
He parked his Ute behind the 3 and saw effect for himself.
He checked the installation, said it was all ok.
Said the demister lines are some of the thickest around. Running finger along the lines on the glass.
He’s happy to remove it, replace it, or replace with a thinner tint (which equate to lower quality).
So I said I’d take a few weeks to consider my options.
I’d hate to be without tint (no cover at work car park, very hot car at the end of the day).

My hope is on something a reputable installer suggested, that a couple days of direct sun will help. My car has barely been out, mostly undercover at home.
Who knows...maybe should have bought a Kia.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2020, 07:37 PM   #71
Burrcold
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2024 M3 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Quick update.
Said the demister lines are some of the thickest around. Running finger along the lines on the glass.
He’s happy to remove it, replace it, or replace with a thinner tint (which equate to lower quality).
So I said I’d take a few weeks to consider my options.
I’d hate to be without tint (no cover at work car park, very hot car at the end of the day).

My hope is on something a reputable installer suggested, that a couple days of direct sun will help. My car has barely been out, mostly undercover at home.
Just an FYI, thinner film does not equate to lower quality. Some of the best films on the market are the thinnest.
      07-01-2020, 08:23 PM   #72
Slideit
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burrcold View Post
Just an FYI, thinner film does not equate to lower quality. Some of the best films on the market are the thinnest.
Thanks Burrcold , I know you must be right, after all there's people who don't have a problem with their installation.

I drop my salesperson a message and see what his experience is.
Appreciate 1
Burrcold5047.50
      07-01-2020, 11:15 PM   #73
firetitanx
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quick update.
He's happy to remove it, replace it, or replace with a thinner tint (which equate to lower quality).
So I said I'd take a few weeks to consider my options.
I'd hate to be without tint (no cover at work car park, very hot car at the end of the day).

Quote:
Quick update.
He's happy to remove it, replace it, or replace with a thinner tint (which equate to lower quality).
So I said I'd take a few weeks to consider my options.
I'd hate to be without tint (no cover at work car park, very hot car at the end of the day).

Aargh yes I thought it may have something to do with thicker lines , I must have a feel have not done that yet

Seriously it depends on how much it bugs you at night , if it doesn't then just leave it on

I'm happy with it off at the moment at a later stage I might try again but only if I sit in a car like mine at night with lights shining and see if it's ok before I go ahead
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2022, 04:40 PM   #74
emmalinek
Registered
Rep
Drives: bmw 5x

This problem is quite common; I have experienced it many times. Several times I almost had an accident because of it, as the light from the car behind prevented me from concentrating on the road. But users on the forum helped me find a solution. On their recommendation, I bought a sunblind here at https://snapshades.com.au/car-sun-pr...n-for-infants/ . This curtain blocks access to 85% of the light from the sun and headlights. Thanks to this, the light of the cars behind me now does not interfere with me.

Last edited by emmalinek; 08-23-2022 at 04:51 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2022, 03:35 AM   #75
Gaviatrix
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i M Sport

Garage List
Advice on window tint please

G'day all from sunny Perth. This is my first post on this Forum

I've just rejoined the BMW family after a very long hiatus, buying an immaculate 2019 330i M Sport with just 4,700 Km on the clock (I had a 1988 E30 320i and two E36s, a 1992 and a 1994, all bought new back in the day). My 'new' car came from Melbourne and doesn't have tint.

I'm proposing to use 3M Ceramic IR to be installed by Total Tint Solutions, Osborne Park. I've used them several times before and they have always done a great job. I was proposing to use the 35% VLT film all round. They have apparently done many G20 cars in the last few years and have never been made aware of instrument dimming or excessive rear night glare issues. Do any of you experienced forumites think this will be a problem?

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2023, 06:02 PM   #76
nm2003
2023 M340i LCI xDrive (on order)
Rep
Drives: 2023 M340i LCI

Apologies, I have also come late to this forum discussion.

What brand/type of tint should be applied in order to avoid issues discussed on this thread?
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2023, 08:38 PM   #77
Gaviatrix
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i M Sport

Garage List
Per my post below I had 3M Ceramic IR tint applied to my car last year. I can't say the refraction with the BMW is much different from my Jaguar's steeply sloping rear window, except that the BMW has more closely spaced heating elements which perhaps make it slightly more obvious. Personally I don't find it much of an issue - it's there, but it's not honestly a big deal in my opinion. Perhaps different tints would make it more of a problem but I can't give a view on that. The 35% VLT tint has not caused me any instrument dimming problems either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaviatrix View Post
G'day all from sunny Perth. This is my first post on this Forum

I've just rejoined the BMW family after a very long hiatus, buying an immaculate 2019 330i M Sport with just 4,700 Km on the clock (I had a 1988 E30 320i and two E36s, a 1992 and a 1994, all bought new back in the day). My 'new' car came from Melbourne and doesn't have tint.

I'm proposing to use 3M Ceramic IR to be installed by Total Tint Solutions, Osborne Park. I've used them several times before and they have always done a great job. I was proposing to use the 35% VLT film all round. They have apparently done many G20 cars in the last few years and have never been made aware of instrument dimming or excessive rear night glare issues. Do any of you experienced forumites think this will be a problem?

Thanks.
Appreciate 1
nm200329.50