Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions Mirrors don't auto-fold anymore

06-08-2020, 05:47 PM   #45
IanJ
Just waiting...
Wales
Rep
Drives: F80 Comp Nardo Grey

I had the same (non-mechanical) problem where it stopped auto folding, turning the option off then back on meant it worked for the next drive and then it stopped.

I tried the reset which again did it for one trip, just enough to fool me to thinking it was fixed so I then went for removing the connected profile from there and re-signed back in and that resolved it and it does what it did again - bit of PITA having to reset all the preferences but there we go.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2020, 11:05 AM   #46
Bimmer_73NL
Rep
Drives: F30 320i, G21 330i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanJ View Post
I had the same (non-mechanical) problem where it stopped auto folding, turning the option off then back on meant it worked for the next drive and then it stopped.

I tried the reset which again did it for one trip, just enough to fool me to thinking it was fixed so I then went for removing the connected profile from there and re-signed back in and that resolved it and it does what it did again - bit of PITA having to reset all the preferences but there we go.
What iDrive software version are you on?

When I brought our G21 to the dealer to fix this issue they put it on the latest software (03.2020.40). All our saved settings were preserved; f.i. the shortcuts, climat settings, driver assist settings, etc.
Only saved radio stations I don't know as we didn't yet save any yet.

Might save you at least from losing your presets / settings.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2020, 07:22 AM   #47
IanJ
Just waiting...
Wales
Rep
Drives: F80 Comp Nardo Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer_73NL View Post
What iDrive software version are you on?

When I brought our G21 to the dealer to fix this issue they put it on the latest software (03.2020.40). All our saved settings were preserved; f.i. the shortcuts, climat settings, driver assist settings, etc.
Only saved radio stations I don't know as we didn't yet save any yet.

Might save you at least from losing your presets / settings.
I've not checked to be honest - I just got the mirrors working and left it, I have noticed that since then it's asking for Connected drive details and when I've dug further it's asking for the profile to be removed/re-added.

I'll have a go some point this week.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2020, 09:16 AM   #48
markonline007
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 330i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by giorgoXXI View Post
Do a factory reset, that fixed it for me and haven't had the issue since then. This was on 11/2019 software.
Giorgo, what do you lose when you do a factory reset? I had the exact same issue as you. I went into Valet mode to check it out and when I came out the mirrors stopped folding when locked even though the box is checked. I should also mention that when I came out of Valet mode, about half of my settings were lost (interior color, driver assist, speed limit) but not everything. I knew there was a software glitch at that point due to the Valet mode and then noticed the mirrors too.

If I do the factory reset I assume I will have to setup my customized settings again? Anything else I should be aware of?
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2020, 11:10 AM   #49
blepper
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 318

Quote:
Originally Posted by markonline007 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by giorgoXXI View Post
Do a factory reset, that fixed it for me and haven't had the issue since then. This was on 11/2019 software.
Giorgo, what do you lose when you do a factory reset? I had the exact same issue as you. I went into Valet mode to check it out and when I came out the mirrors stopped folding when locked even though the box is checked. I should also mention that when I came out of Valet mode, about half of my settings were lost (interior color, driver assist, speed limit) but not everything. I knew there was a software glitch at that point due to the Valet mode and then noticed the mirrors too.

If I do the factory reset I assume I will have to setup my customized settings again? Anything else I should be aware of?
Question I see that the right mirror is going more to insite than on the on the driver site is that normal?
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2020, 11:27 AM   #50
Tam the Bam
Grumpy Old Git
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 330i RWD M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by blepper View Post
Question I see that the right mirror is going more to insite than on the on the driver site is that normal?
See this thread

https://g20.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...hlight=Folding

F10 520D M Sport
E60 520D SE
Volvo S60 type R
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2021, 08:59 AM   #51
helmet91
Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 330i X-Drive M-Sport

Garage List
My passenger side mirror stopped working completely today. Fortunately the mirror is open so I can still drive. No appointments available until next week. Argh.

Here's my errors:
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-04-2021, 02:51 AM   #52
helmet91
Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep

Garage List
So, everything started working again... Here's hoping they just replace whatever module it is that's throwing the codes.

I'll report back.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2021, 01:15 PM   #53
helmet91
Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep

Garage List
Rewinding a bit… they replaced the passenger side module and everything is fine now.

Well, until today because now the driver side has died.

Awesome.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2023, 10:35 AM   #54
jayembee5
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M340I MSPORT

My 4 year-old M340i just had its MOT (UK statutory annual vehicle check) a few days ago and, on return, the passenger door mirror would not fold and open properly with the remote key, nor will it adjust up/down/in/out with the interior button. Driver's mirror is ok. I called the dealer who said it was probably due to the "electrics" being affected by their courtesy car-wash and it would "dry out ok" in a day or two. Seems odd that the car has gone through countless car-washes and hand power-washes before with no problems. Now day 5 and mirror still not working. The car is going in again this week for it to be checked. Question is, if the "electrics" are defective is it reasonable for me to say, "the mirror was fine pre-MOT and before your courtesy wash so you should fix the problem without charge"?
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2023, 12:26 PM   #55
lnlyssg
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 320i

Yes, definitely worth pursuing, even if it does dry out OK you'll likely find that it goes wrong again in the future. There's examples of this happening in this thread - https://g20.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...1663025&page=6. I also recommend turning down the free car wash next time
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2023, 07:10 AM   #56
CTrain
Registered
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340ixd

My 2020 M340i xd is just out of warranty. The drivers side mirror will now not fold or adjust and the mirror has turned yellow. This all started with an intermittent folding problem a few weeks ago. BMW advise it's not covered under warranty but would be happy to take a look. I'm of the opinion that any inspection will have an inevitable outcome of no manufacturing fault and result in a significant bill for a replacement mirror unit. So, today, I have investigated myself. When I've taken the mirror cap off to have a look the mirror control unit is clearly sparking internal to the encapsulation. If you take the control unit from its mounting it sparks inside on the side that faces the mirror just up from where the red and blue cables enter. if this isn't a manufacturing fault in the sealed mirror control unit I don't know what is. I've sent the video to BMW UK and will wait for a response.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-31-2023, 10:51 AM   #57
zoso4534
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 330i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTrain View Post
My 2020 M340i xd is just out of warranty. The drivers side mirror will now not fold or adjust and the mirror has turned yellow. This all started with an intermittent folding problem a few weeks ago. BMW advise it's not covered under warranty but would be happy to take a look. I'm of the opinion that any inspection will have an inevitable outcome of no manufacturing fault and result in a significant bill for a replacement mirror unit. So, today, I have investigated myself. When I've taken the mirror cap off to have a look the mirror control unit is clearly sparking internal to the encapsulation. If you take the control unit from its mounting it sparks inside on the side that faces the mirror just up from where the red and blue cables enter. if this isn't a manufacturing fault in the sealed mirror control unit I don't know what is. I've sent the video to BMW UK and will wait for a response.
Go to an independent shop. Depending on the cost, I wouldn’t bother fixing it and move the mirrors manually when needed.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2023, 11:07 AM   #58
lnlyssg
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 320i

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTrain View Post
When I had mine fixed the video I received had the technician literally saying "this is a common issue on this model." As my repair costs were covered by the place I bought it from I let them take care of it but had I been paying for it myself I definitely would have been citing this thread and the other linked ones and arguing my case.
Appreciate 0