Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions Active Cruise Control doesn't detect stationary vehicles

07-12-2020, 05:14 PM   #23
sd_dracula
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 G20 330e

Mine detects them all the time since I always use the Assisted Driving in non-motorway scenarios, not sure if it's down to one of the options but I pretty much ticked everything except laser lights which are 100% useless in the city.
What the OP describes is exactly how the F30 ACC used to work, it didn't work for on stationary vehicles, they had to be moving a little to "track them"
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2020, 07:56 AM   #24
Lfk
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 3 Series G20

Quote:
Originally Posted by sd_dracula View Post
Mine detects them all the time since I always use the Assisted Driving in non-motorway scenarios, not sure if it's down to one of the options but I pretty much ticked everything except laser lights which are 100% useless in the city.
What the OP describes is exactly how the F30 ACC used to work, it didn't work for on stationary vehicles, they had to be moving a little to "track them"
Is it a G20? There's no extra option that improves ACC.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2020, 08:43 AM   #25
Chrisr22
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i Touring

My G21 with Driving Assistant Professional 100% detects stationary cars at lights. Although it does brake later than I would like, it always stops.
I use ACC around town and I’ve never had any issues.

With regards to spec, I have every option except Towbar.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2020, 09:35 AM   #26
srbs73
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW i4 M50

Same here, I just tested my G21 and it detected a van stopped at the traffic lights from about 75m and then came to a stop. The van was also visible in the driver assistance animation.

I guess there is a limitation on how far ahead the car can see and therefore react in time. The faster you're going the less likely it will handle it gracefully.

It seems to behave in the same way as my Q7 which is fine. I was worried it was like my 2011 X5 that literally couldn't see a stopped vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2020, 12:03 PM   #27
RSnic
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340Xi (G20)

Garage List
2020 BMW M340  [0.00]
My 2020 G20 with the Driving Assistance Professional package (ZDY) & Extended Traffic Jam for Limited Access Highway (5AR) does pick up stopped cars in front & stops -- though sometimes a little hard. The 5AR option ONLY kicks in on highways & when in traffic under 40 mph; I can take my hands off the wheel & I don't get the yellow lights on steering wheel or the ghost hands

2020 M340Xi| ZDA| ZDY| ZPP| ZPX| 1CR| 1PL| 688| 6NW| 2VFH|
Retired: 2014 328i
BMW CCA
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2020, 01:35 PM   #28
hamera
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320i M Sport (G20)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lfk View Post
Please let us know. Especially because the newer are models are supposed to detect red lights as well (not sure if that's out yet), which is not very useful if you're going to crash into the cars waiting for the aforementioned red light!
Tested it today by approaching stationary cars at different speeds. It's a dual carriageway with 50mph speed limit. I'm not advising anyone to rely solely on this system. It is just to show that it's perfectly capable of detecting stationary vehicles.

at 45mph

at 45mph

at 50mph

at 50mph

Last edited by hamera; 07-14-2020 at 02:55 AM..
Appreciate 3
Poochie9104.50
Flamingi531.00
Lfk11.00
      07-13-2020, 04:57 PM   #29
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamera View Post
Quote:
Please let us know. Especially because the newer are models are supposed to detect red lights as well (not sure if that's out yet), which is not very useful if you're going to crash into the cars waiting for the aforementioned red light!
Tested it today by approaching stationary cars at different speeds. It's a dual carriageway with 50mph speed limit. I'm not advising anyone to rely solely on this system. It was just to show that it's perfectly capable of detecting stationary vehicles.

That settles that but just keep in mind, It might be a region-specific feature.

The US, being such a litigious country, is sometimes more conservative in what they allow and so BMW err on the side of caution in their available options that might expose liability or how it's worded.

Maybe there's a very slim possibility that it might not detect a stationary object, so the warning prevails, in that off chance. My archaic 2016 M2 Driving Assistance feature can sometimes detect stationary cars but it's not guarantee.

Since the G20 uses both radar and a camera, I assume it would be more precise and accurate, than just the older KAFAS camera system.

However, I like what I see so far; automotive wise, the future is looking pretty bright..
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2020, 05:56 PM   #30
Lfk
Private
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Tested it today by approaching stationary cars at different speeds. It's a dual carriageway with 50mph speed limit. I'm not advising anyone to rely solely on this system. It was just to show that it's perfectly capable of detecting stationary vehicles.

at 45mph

at 45mph

at 50mph

at 50mph
I wonder if they've improved it since my model. Mine doesn't show other cars either, just whether there's a car in front.

The lane keeping mechanism also only works on freeways. On other roads it keeps stopping to work (yellow lights etc, loses track of the lane). This is a camera dependent function too I presume
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2020, 06:22 PM   #31
phillyd2
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i XDrive

Good thing it doesn't detect driving on the wrong side of the road.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2020, 03:12 AM   #32
hamera
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320i M Sport (G20)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
Maybe there's a very slim possibility that it might not detect a stationary object, so the warning prevails, in that off chance. My archaic 2016 M2 Driving Assistance feature can sometimes detect stationary cars but it's not guarantee.
Absolutely. There is always a possibility of it not detecting something or not detecting it soon enough. I would never rely on this system 100%. There will always be small print saying that system got some limitations and certain scenarios may affect it's functionality.

I've only tried to prove that it definitely can detect stationary vehicles at higher speeds, not only in traffic jams. I'm not saying it will detect it 100% of the times in all road situations/scenarios.
Appreciate 1
Poochie9104.50
      07-14-2020, 04:37 AM   #33
Lfk
Private
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
Absolutely. There is always a possibility of it not detecting something or not detecting it soon enough. I would never rely on this system 100%. There will always be small print saying that system got some limitations and certain scenarios may affect it's functionality.

I've only tried to prove that it definitely can detect stationary vehicles at higher speeds, not only in traffic jams. I'm not saying it will detect it 100% of the times in all road situations/scenarios.
Makes sense. I guess assuming there's nothing wrong with mine specifically, they've improved it a bit from 2019 model to 2020 model. In my case I'd say 9/10 times it detects the stationary vehicle, but not before you start feeling nervous. And then there's that 1/10 where it takes so long the front collision thing kicks in. Naturally it's only sensible to act as if it doesn't detect stationary objects at all rather than wait and see if you get killed one time lol
Appreciate 1
hamera441.50