Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums UK 330e Latest Software Version please? Car is in now!...

07-06-2020, 11:30 AM   #1
Yorkshire330e
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 330e

330e Latest Software Version please? Car is in now!...

Hi all,

I’ve had my car in and out of the Sandal Huddersfield dealership two or three times and they always seemed on the ball with sorting the latest iDrive software update when I’ve pushed them on it.

Fast forward to today, car is in for a drive train error message and to get rid of the annoying recall message so they can slap a warning sticker on my 3 pin charger plug that came with the car... I think I’m on version 2019.11.something, but can’t remember now. was sure I’d posted it in here previously when discussing on another thread but can’t now find it...

Anyway, having read the two or three other threads on this, does anyone know what the latest 330e iDrive software version should be? The OTA updates have never worked or come through for me and I’m sure having read other threads there must be another 2 or 3 more up to date versions than the one I have?

The garage this morning didn’t ‘get it’ when I told them I wanted the latest iDrive update, they thought I wanted a maps update (I only use Waze anyway as BMW traffic is inferior and at a cost too!)... they have now told me I’m on the latest software version but 1. I don’t believe them and 2. I’m not convinced they know what I mean!

Would be nice if someone in the know could tell me what version it should be on.

Also conscious some on the 2020.3 versions are saying they’ve had issues with features disappearing - has that now been resolved, i.e. should I side step a certain version and either just leave it or hold out for a newer 2019.11.something!?

Thanks in anticipation! Car is staying in overnight for the drive train fault, something to do with a faulty turbo from manufacture - would be nice to tell them with some level of confidence what I do and don’t want when I speak to them again tomorrow.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2020, 04:02 PM   #2
Funboy78
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ‘72’ BMW M340d G20 LCI

I have the 330i so will only make comment on part of this.

Tell them it’s the OTA update BMW are pushing out now, this July, to allow Android Auto along with loads of other features - can’t believe they are not aware of this.
Their initial response will be “we don’t support android auto” to which your response will be “exactly, that’s why it’s an OTA update as BMW are releasing this month”

It’s not out yet, I checked on my iPad and in the car earlier today, nothing online says when but just that it’s due this month.

The phone app is limited, I use my iPad which seems to show more, but my only update is maps which I can’t be bothered to do.

Which features are you worried about losing? I read some people believe they lost the exhaust sounds, but I’m on the latest version and in Sport it burbles nicely!

Last edited by Funboy78; 07-06-2020 at 04:28 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2020, 04:52 PM   #3
eddiehaug
Lieutenant
Norway
Rep
Drives: i4M50

Garage List
2023 BMW i4M50  [0.00]
The latest iDrive version available today for the 330e is the 03.2020.x. I have .40 but probably there's a newer minor version at this point in time.

I haven't had any issues with 03.2020 that an iDrive reset couldn't fix, all is working fine and very stable.

Regarding the maps, we're on 2020-2.

Previous BMWs: 330e Touring xDrive (G21, 2021), 330e (G20, 2019), 530e (G30, 2018).
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2020, 03:00 AM   #4
Yorkshire330e
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funboy78 View Post
I have the 330i so will only make comment on part of this.

Tell them it’s the OTA update BMW are pushing out now, this July, to allow Android Auto along with loads of other features - can’t believe they are not aware of this.
Their initial response will be “we don’t support android auto” to which your response will be “exactly, that’s why it’s an OTA update as BMW are releasing this month”

It’s not out yet, I checked on my iPad and in the car earlier today, nothing online says when but just that it’s due this month.

The phone app is limited, I use my iPad which seems to show more, but my only update is maps which I can’t be bothered to do.

Which features are you worried about losing? I read some people believe they lost the exhaust sounds, but I’m on the latest version and in Sport it burbles nicely!

Thanks! Scripted dialogue as well!

I think people were saying various apps had disappeared like weather and something else, nothing I’d particularly be bothered about but on the same token don’t want an unstable version frustrating me and being a downgrade on the stability and functionality I have now.
Android Auto is a funny one for me - I use Apple Car Play and am pretty impressed with that, but my works phone is Android and would be nice to have the option. I’m with you on maps and too much effort - BMW maps and navigation is fine if my journey isn’t time critical, but in my 330e and my previous 220d, it’s proven itself unreliable for traffic on more than one occasion and having Waze synced via CarPlay is far far more reliable when I’ve tested both together a few times to be able to trust BMW maps/traffic.

Let’s see what today brings.

Cheers.
Appreciate 1
      07-07-2020, 03:01 AM   #5
Yorkshire330e
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaug View Post
The latest iDrive version available today for the 330e is the 03.2020.x. I have .40 but probably there's a newer minor version at this point in time.

I haven't had any issues with 03.2020 that an iDrive reset couldn't fix, all is working fine and very stable.

Regarding the maps, we're on 2020-2.
Thanks for that - going to call them now and get them on with this in view of these two comments - thanks both.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2020, 03:13 AM   #6
Yorkshire330e
Private First Class
Rep

Update!

Spoken to them and it seems the software update is the least of my concerns!!...

The turbo charger is faulty and needs replacing. Apparently a (external?) spring on it is faulty and needs a new part but they come as a full unit. None are available in the U.K. and is on back order from the Fatherland and will be 5-10 days!

Due to Covid they’re understandably not giving courtesy cars out at present so are arranging me a hire car from enterprise!!

I did get over re the software version and exactly what it was I wanted doing, but that seems rather a mute point now!

Wonder if they’ll get me something comparable from Enterprise or a bottom of the range!?

What fun! It’s a Lex lease car btw.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2020, 01:33 PM   #7
Bmwnewbie2
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 330e MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorkshire330e View Post
Update!

Spoken to them and it seems the software update is the least of my concerns!!...

The turbo charger is faulty and needs replacing. Apparently a (external?) spring on it is faulty and needs a new part but they come as a full unit. None are available in the U.K. and is on back order from the Fatherland and will be 5-10 days!

Due to Covid they’re understandably not giving courtesy cars out at present so are arranging me a hire car from enterprise!!

I did get over re the software version and exactly what it was I wanted doing, but that seems rather a mute point now!

Wonder if they’ll get me something comparable from Enterprise or a bottom of the range!?

What fun! It’s a Lex lease car btw.
Hope this resolves quickly. My Lex 330e is meant to arrive next week! Be glad to get it.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2020, 03:48 PM   #8
Yorkshire330e
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmwnewbie2 View Post
Hope this resolves quickly. My Lex 330e is meant to arrive next week! Be glad to get it.
You’ll love it I’m sure!
Just one of those things I think with a manufacturing issue on a part by the sounds of it with mine. Add the current situation into the mix and probably not helping with lead times/deliveries etc.
When mine was new in October I sat in it all night meddling with all the settings and menus and options! Enjoy.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2020, 01:13 AM   #9
Jim_330e
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2020 330e M Sport

Hope you get sorted soon. Mine is on 03/2020.30

Gone: '18 Golf GTI Performance DSG in Tungsten
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2020, 06:16 AM   #10
Yorkshire330e
Private First Class
Rep

Taken a 420d Gran Coupe hire car provided by BMW today while the turbo issue is sorted. Even though it’s also a 69 plate, it feels such a backward step in the displays, dash and finish inside. Feels like you’re in a much older car. Nice to try one out mind you but I’ll be glad to get my 330e back.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2020, 10:51 AM   #11
Jim_330e
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2020 330e M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorkshire330e View Post
Taken a 420d Gran Coupe hire car provided by BMW today while the turbo issue is sorted. Even though it’s also a 69 plate, it feels such a backward step in the displays, dash and finish inside. Feels like you’re in a much older car. Nice to try one out mind you but I’ll be glad to get my 330e back.
I can image that dash and interior does feel dated now as the interior of the G20 really is a great place to be and feels so new.

Gone: '18 Golf GTI Performance DSG in Tungsten
Appreciate 1
      07-14-2020, 10:16 AM   #12
Yorkshire330e
Private First Class
Rep

So finally got my 330e back today 1 week later.
They’ve fixed the turbo problem.
They’ve put a sticker on my 3 pin plug home charger and apparently the annoying app warning about it will go away in the next couple of days... two problems out of three sorted then.

Now the software update or complete lack of. I still don’t think the garage know what I’m asking for, which is really annoying as they’ve done it for me two or three times before but seems am dealing with different people.
I think he’s been trying to force over the air updates to the car, which have never worked ever on mine. When it’s been in previously and they’ve updated it, they’ve done something manually by finding the update on their system and updating it.
They’re telling me my current version the 11.2019.xx is the current one, only I know it isn’t and I’ve told them I know it isn’t...

So they’ve tried to do over the air updates and they were referred to connected drive, who wouldn’t deal with BMW Sandal Huddersfield due to DPA and will only deal with me the owner!!...

So I’ve contacted connected drive and they want a screen shot/photo of the software version I’m on emailing through to them...

Please give me strength!!...

Have read others having exactly the same frustrations across the country, but have previously been able to just get my local dealer to sort it... now they don’t seem either able to or to understand how to any more and now I’m having the same shocking experience others have had; BMW don’t understand their own products and software and the supposed experts have less idea about it than the users!

Well if nothing else typing all this out has been slightly therapeutic!

If anyone can offer any insight or experience from here I’m all ears (eyes!)

Last edited by Yorkshire330e; 07-14-2020 at 12:32 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2020, 02:13 AM   #13
Keith_C
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i M Sport Plus

Mine is currently updating OTA to 11/2019.70.

Hopefully that will sort the useless Connected Drive app out as 3D view or lock/unlock have never worked or mine. Still not the latest version though, unless they need it on before they can upgrade further!
M240i - Thundernight Metallic - Cognac Interior - M Technology Pack - Technology Plus Pack - Comfort Pack - HK - Driving Assistant - M Adaptive Suspension - 19" 893 M Double-spoke Bicolour Alloy Wheels - Aluminium Rhombicle Interior Trim
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2020, 04:13 AM   #14
Yorkshire330e
Private First Class
Rep

So, a morning of activity suddenly at this end!

I also have the 2019.11.70 update coming remotely that Keith mentions above!
I didn’t see that plot twist coming.

All my moans above about it never working in 9 months owning the car then bingo!

Also, I had a call from the Master Technician at my local dealership, I’d got his email address previously and cc’d him on on my email to Connected Drive. He was able to explain the situation clearly to me!...

The OTA/remote updates do work and have always worked. What happens is BMW push the remote updates out on a delay compared to the ‘wired/cabled’ updates. Therefore, if you go to a dealership who give you an update, it’ll likely be a more up to date version than anyone who’s only had OTA updates.
By pure coincidence, he’s also had the email from BMW today saying OTA update 2019.11.70 is being pushed out today. This has just downloaded on a short drive to take my Son to nursery and is now updating in the car outside... hold the front page!!.... just had another notification from Connected Drive flash up on my phone “Your BMW has been successfully upgraded”...

So in summary, I’m now on the latest OTA update version, there are newer versions available but these are only available via a wired/plug in connection and update at a dealership - still not sure why I was told there wasn’t a newer version yesterday, sounds like a lack of understanding by the service team I spoke to. At least the Master Tech guy got in touch to pour sense and clarity onto it all!

Now I actually understand how it works or it’s supposed to work, I’m not that fussed about being a couple of versions behind (e.g. I’m still not on 2020.3.xx). Also the fact I’ve had the first ‘catch up’ OTA update now gives me confidence it does actually work and when there’s an OTA version available, it’ll come through.

Unless someone tells me 2020.3.xx gives me shoe shining, teeth flossing and trouser pressing, I won’t be so bothered about nattering the dealer to plug me in and update me so much now, happy to leave it to it!

Now it’s finished am off to investigate the folding mirrors, as they didn’t fold-in while it was updating! Assume they’ll work again now it’s finished!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-15-2020, 04:44 AM   #15
blaz
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 520d,F30 330e,G20 M340i

Good that Huddersfield getting a point is included in the 2019 upgrade!
      07-15-2020, 04:59 AM   #16
Yorkshire330e
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaz View Post
Good that Huddersfield getting a point is included in the 2019 upgrade!
I’m working on making it 3 points but let’s walk before we can run! I’d struggle to put any highlights together for our last 4 games I think, never mind last nights! Safe to say I won’t be following up on that second notification.

UPDATE - The folding mirrors work as normal once the update had finished and it only took about 15 mins to install on the car once it had fully downloaded, which took about 40 mins.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2020, 01:37 PM   #17
tricky6
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G20 330e M Sport+

My 330e is running 11.2019.34. OTA update doesn't show anything but popped into the dealer on driving past today and there is an update available. Yeah, I knew that!?

When enquiring on Android Auto I got "eh?, don't know anything about that". This even included going to the Service Manager.

How can BMW be so poor at informing their own dealer network on what they're up to and availability.

Anyone got Android Auto now with an upgrade or a view on when it might actually be available?

I've got a personal iPhone but and Android work phone and have found Android Auto far superior, especially with voice. The iPhone only works with Apple apps so useless for things like Audible.
Appreciate 1
      07-17-2020, 02:26 PM   #18
Amos91
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G20 320d

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricky6 View Post
My 330e is running 11.2019.34. OTA update doesn't show anything but popped into the dealer on driving past today and there is an update available. Yeah, I knew that!?

When enquiring on Android Auto I got "eh?, don't know anything about that". This even included going to the Service Manager.

How can BMW be so poor at informing their own dealer network on what they're up to and availability.

Anyone got Android Auto now with an upgrade or a view on when it might actually be available?

I've got a personal iPhone but and Android work phone and have found Android Auto far superior, especially with voice. The iPhone only works with Apple apps so useless for things like Audible.
I've seen someone in the UK running Android auto after a dealership visit so it's available...
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2020, 03:32 PM   #19
KhanG
Rep
Drives: G20 330e

It's definitely available, I have a 2019 October build 330e, I had a 11/2019.29 OTA update the day I picked the car up last year and then nothing, there's been a recall on the charging cables so took the car in today and they upgraded to 07/2020. The dealers are definitely updating (Nottingham Sytner)
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2020, 04:48 AM   #20
Triggsuk
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 320D MSport+

Morning, I read somewhere and can't find it again, that they are having issue with the Android Auto update OTA, so they are only doing it at a dealer, not sure this is everywhere or just at that particular dealership.

My car is due for a service in a couple of months so will be holding off until then, and asking for it. They don't release the update all at once so hopefully by then it will be available.

Nice to see an OTA update in action, I can get map updates but never had the software updates work so far.
      07-18-2020, 02:04 PM   #21
tricky6
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G20 330e M Sport+

Quote:
Originally Posted by KhanG View Post
It's definitely available, I have a 2019 October build 330e, I had a 11/2019.29 OTA update the day I picked the car up last year and then nothing, there's been a recall on the charging cables so took the car in today and they upgraded to 07/2020. The dealers are definitely updating (Nottingham Sytner)
So do you have Android Auto now, anything else good? As of this morning mine is currently in the middle of upgrading to 11/2019.70 via OTA, first time it has ever done this. Got it booked into my local dealer in a weeks time for the latest version.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2020, 05:54 PM   #22
Funboy78
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ‘72’ BMW M340d G20 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricky6 View Post
So do you have Android Auto now, anything else good? As of this morning mine is currently in the middle of upgrading to 11/2019.70 via OTA, first time it has ever done this. Got it booked into my local dealer in a weeks time for the latest version.
This is the version I’m on...... no Android Auto. You need the 2020 update.
Appreciate 0