Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Photos / Videos / Journals G22 4 Series spotted in the wild

07-13-2020, 02:04 PM   #287
M2Cmtl
Major
Rep
Drives: 21 Q7 & 22 4XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
Some sound like meltdowns. You could label some people passionate, but many are just complainers who are resistant to change.

Usually if you don't like a restaurant's food, you just stop eating there. If you don't like the way a manufacturer designs their shoes, you simply buy another brand. It should be the same with cars/bikes.
I agree but when you are passionate about cars you get invested into a brand... but yeah just buy something else! Or heck, just buy a used F80...
      07-13-2020, 02:24 PM   #288
Poiseuille
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 DCT Tanzanite/Amaro

Garage List
  [0.00]
  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giom View Post
Interesting how those of us that actually like this design are downright vilified and insulted over our taste.

Not cool, these days, to be a minority within the BMW group...
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      07-13-2020, 02:39 PM   #289
Audio Fan
Major
Rep
Drives: AY - M4

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by eman6306 View Post
Quote:
What kind of person gets a meltdown over a design feature...? Not a BMW driver!
...perhaps a passionate BMW driver might.

However, I wouldn't necessarily call what we're seeing meltdowns, probably more along the lines of voicing displeasure.
Some sound like meltdowns. You could label some people passionate, but many are just complainers who are resistant to change.

Usually if you don't like a restaurant's food, you just stop eating there. If you don't like the way a manufacturer designs their shoes, you simply buy another brand. It should be the same with cars/bikes.
Having a couple of small children, it definitely seems like meltdowns and tantrums in a Twitter-like way by some. I've went from surprised to entertained by the reactions. The thing that I keep thinking is that the basic (non-M) 3/4 series coupes have never been cars that wow the masses from a looks or performance perspective. They've always been very conservative, decent looking cars that performed decently - just BMW enough to avoid being boring, but not much more. When you go through the various threads on the 4, you'd think Porsche is changing the 911 to look like a Challenger.

There is so much competition out there these days, I'm guessing BMW is trying to differentiate itself and provide a more sexy car in a relatively low volume segment. They can't just evolve a bit and compete with MB, Alpha, and Audi products, which look darn good (and have big grills) in there base forms. This is the result of real, serious competition. If they don't shake things up, they get their lunch eaten. However, with all design, the more wow you try to bring, the more you risk alienating some while exciting others. BMW might miss the mark, hit a home run, or be average. We won't know for awhile, but we do know that this is the age for rage (for everything).
Appreciate 4
Sedan_Clan25055.00
Fhey454.50
eman45171724.50
Giom154.50
      07-13-2020, 02:43 PM   #290
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audio Fan View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

However, I wouldn't necessarily call what we're seeing meltdowns, probably more along the lines of voicing displeasure.

Having a couple of small children, it definitely seems like meltdowns and tantrums in a Twitter-like way by some. I've went from surprised to entertained by the reactions. The thing that I keep thinking is that the basic (non-M) 3/4 series coupes have never been cars that wow the masses from a looks or performance perspective. They've always been very conservative, decent looking cars that performed decently - just BMW enough to avoid being boring, but not much more. When you go through the various threads on the 4, you'd think Porsche is changing the 911 to look like a Challenger.

There is so much competition out there these days, I'm guessing BMW is trying to differentiate itself and provide a more sexy car in a relatively low volume segment. They can't just evolve a bit and compete with MB, Alpha, and Audi products, which look darn good (and have big grills) in there base forms. This is the result of real, serious competition. If they don't shake things up, they get there lunch eaten. However, with all design, the more wow you try to bring, the more you risk alienating some while exciting others. BMW might miss the mark, hit a home run, or be average. We won't know for awhile, but we do know that this is the age for rage (for everything).
Well said my friend.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2020, 05:23 PM   #291
eman4517
Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: '24 G83 M4C xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Yes, agreed in a perfect pre-social media world that would definitely happen.

But in today's climate, social media can be brutal. It can either help make or break any product's success (or if consistently bad, ruin an entire brand) and if consumers don't like something, trust me, you will know it, and companies know this and it helps them to improve.

The strategy of many premium brands to earn your hard-earned $ with a premium product and hook you, then adopt small incremental profit margin improvements (cost effective substitutions) over time to increase their profit margin.

They will do this "watering down" to the point that consumers start to notice a drop in perceived quality and when consumers do, trust me, you will hear it on the net.. Hence the importance to Like us on Google, Facebook, Yelp, Dealer rater, Open Table, give us 5 stars ,etc etc.

Deeper dive: complaints are also a culturally weighted; certain cultures and/or demographics have higher expectations and complain more and others are more tolerant and complain less.

So, although you may not complain if you had a sh*tty meal at your favorite restaurant, the guy next to you might have what you call a meltdown and complain about his experience on the net, then not go back to that establishment until the good reviews return. It's all relative and subjective I guess.

Plus whats going on in the world now doesn't help. People have shorter fuses and tolerance levels.

Gone but not forgotten:'22 G82 M4Comp xDrive, '21 F90 M5 Comp,'19 Porsche 911 C4S, 15 Audi RS5, etc..
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2020, 08:25 PM   #292
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:

Not resistant to change; just resistant to UGLY. Big difference.
Might drive like cloud 9, if it looks like that, I am not driving one.
Yes, LOOKS DOES MATTER BIG TIME to me. Actually, a lot!

As for the rest, I am already on the waiting list for the new RS6.
Appreciate 1
J-RO2093.50
      07-13-2020, 08:27 PM   #293
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teutonic View Post
Quote:

Not resistant to change; just resistant to UGLY. Big difference.
Might drive like cloud 9, if it looks like that, I am not driving one.
Yes, LOOKS DOES MATTER BIG TIME to me. Actually, a lot!

As for the rest, I am already on the waiting list for the new RS6.
The RS6 is nice.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2020, 08:45 PM   #294
Straitkash
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 428i GC

I felt like I got molested when I see those photos.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2020, 02:17 AM   #295
Tallest
Major General
Rep
Drives: 911

Garage List
2011 911  [10.00]
Quote:
Top seller?!? Interesting. I didn't see any X3's or X5's in this thread. The 4 Series is like #5 or #6 on the list.
In the US you are correct, but I was referring to BMW as global company, and talking in global context about design (because there is no USA specific 3 series design). Hence my comment is accurate, for global volumes 3-4 series is probably easily outselling X3 or X5 and if something changed in last couple of years, then still no way 3-4 series is at position five or six globally. Those stats are also boosted by the fact that there is no new 4 series for 7 years, and there is brand nex X3 and X5 that came out recently (to the dismay of previous gen owners in X5s case who have this nice depreciation to contend with).

Last edited by Tallest; 07-14-2020 at 02:26 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2020, 07:44 AM   #296
Giom
Private
Rep
Drives: renault fluance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Straitkash View Post
I felt like I got molested when I see those photos.
Your Honor, I rest my case.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2020, 09:09 AM   #297
lancerr
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 e92 m3

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

There is so much competition out there these days, I'm guessing BMW is trying to differentiate itself and provide a more sexy car in a relatively low volume segment. They can't just evolve a bit and compete with MB, Alpha, and Audi products, which look darn good (and have big grills) in there base forms. This is the result of real, serious competition. If they don't shake things up, they get their lunch eaten. However, with all design, the more wow you try to bring, the more you risk alienating some while exciting others. BMW might miss the mark, hit a home run, or be average. We won't know for awhile, but we do know that this is the age for rage (for everything).
You are on a bmw forum. Thats already a self selected group of enthusiasts and enthusiasts have options. thats what makes it fun. Enthusiasts will loudly complain as a means of venting frustration at seeing their brand being "diluted" but only a few will leave.

None of the comments have seemed like meltdowns. If you are reading it in that voice in your head, that says more about you.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2020, 10:27 AM   #298
eman4517
Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: '24 G83 M4C xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest View Post
Quote:
Top seller?!? Interesting. I didn't see any X3's or X5's in this thread. The 4 Series is like #5 or #6 on the list.
In the US you are correct, but I was referring to BMW as global company, and talking in global context about design (because there is no USA specific 3 series design). Hence my comment is accurate, for global volumes 3-4 series is probably easily outselling X3 or X5 and if something changed in last couple of years, then still no way 3-4 series is at position five or six globally. Those stats are also boosted by the fact that there is no new 4 series for 7 years, and there is brand nex X3 and X5 that came out recently (to the dismay of previous gen owners in X5s case who have this nice depreciation to contend with).
Especially if you factor in the excessive sales numbers "punching" or padding that BMW has been doing recently in the U.S. to falsely inflate their value.

Edit) They did that with my '18 X1. It was new but found I lost 9 months warranty because it was reported sold and delivered. It only had 35 miles on it. I made them certify it to give me a warranty extension.

I could be wrong but I think they're still under SEC investigation for this, so numbers aren't that reliable..

Gone but not forgotten:'22 G82 M4Comp xDrive, '21 F90 M5 Comp,'19 Porsche 911 C4S, 15 Audi RS5, etc..
Appreciate 1
stein_325i25083.00
      07-14-2020, 10:44 AM   #299
Audio Fan
Major
Rep
Drives: AY - M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancerr View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

You are on a bmw forum. Thats already a self selected group of enthusiasts and enthusiasts have options. thats what makes it fun. Enthusiasts will loudly complain as a means of venting frustration at seeing their brand being "diluted" but only a few will leave.

None of the comments have seemed like meltdowns. If you are reading it in that voice in your head, that says more about you.
Or, you might not have been reading all the threads as much as I have.
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan25055.00
      07-14-2020, 12:04 PM   #300
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by lancerr View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Or, you might not have been reading all the threads as much as I have.
It's exactly that.
Appreciate 2
solstice5456.50
Giom154.50
      07-14-2020, 01:36 PM   #301
solstice
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 6MT

Quote:
It's exactly that.
That and if you are melting down yourself it’s harder to spot
Appreciate 2
Sedan_Clan25055.00
Giom154.50
      07-15-2020, 03:27 AM   #302
TodmordenLad
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Audi A4 Avant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusader View Post
A face only a mother could love.
From a distance.... whilst wearing sunglasses
      07-15-2020, 08:26 AM   #303
RinconHeat
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Many businesses pay top dollar for the kind of feedback we give BMW on the daily (not that they are acting on it it seems). No one likes to hear disagreement on matters of aesthetics as it is personal and emotional. The emotionality IS the point. We should expect feelings to be expressed- if there wasn't an intuitive, non-rational component to cars we would all be driving Prius(s).
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2020, 11:27 AM   #304
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RinconHeat View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Many businesses pay top dollar for the kind of feedback we give BMW on the daily (not that they are acting on it it seems). No one likes to hear disagreement on matters of aesthetics as it is personal and emotional. The emotionality IS the point. We should expect feelings to be expressed- if there wasn't an intuitive, non-rational component to cars we would all be driving Prius(s).
It's the constant, relentless nature of it that resembles a meltdown.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2020, 05:10 PM   #305
t5pilot
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M4 CP & S1000 XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by antzcrashing View Post
The blue is a good look for this car
A heavy collision would be a better look. The colour is nice. The car, quite frankly, is awful.
I reckon we'll see a very early LCI, motivated primarily by lack of sales, in what is probably the company's biggest market share presently.
      07-15-2020, 05:24 PM   #306
antzcrashing
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 440i GC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by t5pilot View Post
Quote:
A heavy collision would be a better look. The colour is nice. The car, quite frankly, is awful.
I reckon we'll see a very early LCI, motivated primarily by lack of sales, in what is probably the company's biggest market share presently.
Isnt the 3 series much higher market share than the 4? Anyone know the numbers?
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2020, 05:28 PM   #307
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by t5pilot View Post
Quote:
Isnt the 3 series much higher market share than the 4? Anyone know the numbers?
It is. It outsells the coupe.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2020, 05:46 PM   #308
VetteGuy
Captain
Rep
Drives: Arctic Race Blue M440iX

The 3er far outsells the 4er here in the U.S., and dramatically so during the COVID beaten 2nd quarter of 2020. About 3:1 in the 2nd quarter of 2019 and 4:1 in the same quarter this year. The new G22 will stand on its own and decisions about LCI will most likely he made on comparisons of its sales against sales of the previous models, or is impact against Audi and MB coupes.
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan25055.00