Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums AUSTRALIA BMW G20 Dashcam and Battery Installation.

06-10-2020, 02:37 AM   #23
firetitanx
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i M Sport 2020(G20)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlo238 View Post
Thanks SteveAus and firetitanx - I will get on it too thanks for the advice
No worries vlo238

I have a quick question for yourself of Steve, when you bought the Blackvue DR900S-2Ch it comes with a 6 metre cable to connect front to rear camera would that be correct?, was that enough length to get from front to back or did you need to order a 10m one ?
Thanks, I am going to pull the trigger and order one, I can't wait for the new one to come out, yours is tried and tested for a few years so looks good !!
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2020, 11:39 AM   #24
vlo238
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i ,17 Impreza,16 Pulsar

Quote:
Originally Posted by firetitanx View Post
Quote:
No worries vlo238

I have a quick question for yourself of Steve, when you bought the Blackvue DR900S-2Ch it comes with a 6 metre cable to connect front to rear camera would that be correct?, was that enough length to get from front to back or did you need to order a 10m one ?
Thanks, I am going to pull the trigger and order one, I can't wait for the new one to come out, yours is tried and tested for a few years so looks good !!
Sorry firetitanx - I wouldn't know as it was installed professionally by MC car Security in NSW. But think the standard was enough as there was no mentioned of longer cable needed
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2020, 05:03 PM   #25
SteveAus
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: G20 M340iX

Garage List
Quote:
No worries vlo238

The cable that comes with dashcam is more than adequate to run from the front dashcam to the rear. You do not need to buy an additional cable. In fact everything in the Blackvue kit and the Neo Cellink kit is sufficient to do the installation......you only require a crimping tool or electrical pliers to crimp the power connector at the fuse box.
The trim plugs can be removed with your fingers if you have long enough nails (or you can use a screwdriver) to pull the Centre pin.
      06-11-2020, 07:30 AM   #26
firetitanx
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
No worries vlo238

Sorry firetitanx - I wouldn't know as it was installed professionally by MC car Security in NSW. But think the standard was enough as there was no mentioned of longer cable needed
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
No worries vlo238

Ah thanks for that 😄👍 so you are happy with your installation ?
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2020, 07:33 AM   #27
firetitanx
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveAus View Post
Quote:
No worries vlo238

The cable that comes with dashcam is more than adequate to run from the front dashcam to the rear. You do not need to buy an additional cable. In fact everything in the Blackvue kit and the Neo Cellink kit is sufficient to do the installation......you only require a crimping tool or electrical pliers to crimp the power connector at the fuse box.
The trim plugs can be removed with your fingers if you have long enough nails (or you can use a screwdriver) to pull the Centre pin.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
No worries vlo238

Quote:
Quote:
No worries vlo238

Ah thanks Steve good to know 😄

Just ordered the whole kaboodle with front and rear polarising filters not sure if I need the rear one
I also got the anti theft thingy
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2020, 07:42 PM   #28
firetitanx
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Hi vlo238 just booked my car in with MC Car Security (Jamie)
Hope they are good $330
Did you get Neo Cellnet parking battery installed as well?
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2020, 02:15 AM   #29
vlo238
Private
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Hope they are good $330
Hi firetitanx - I got the whole package blackvue 2 channel with b124x and installed. I delivered to him straight away when I collected the car say Vincent referred you he will look after you. And he does all my Audio/dash cam needs
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2020, 02:50 AM   #30
firetitanx
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Hope they are good $330
Hi firetitanx - I got the whole package blackvue 2 channel with b124x and installed. I delivered to him straight away when I collected the car say Vincent referred you he will look after you. And he does all my Audio/dash cam needs
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Hope they are good $330
Ah thanks very much I will do that
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2020, 06:48 PM   #31
Slideit
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 330e

Hey, sorry if this is a dumb question.
Are you guys using the remote view function of your cameras? If so, is the "WiFi" in the car usable or do we need an external hotspot to do that?

I just ordered a U1000 from the Autobarn sale.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2020, 07:28 PM   #32
firetitanx
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slideit View Post
Hey, sorry if this is a dumb question.
Are you guys using the remote view function of your cameras? If so, is the "WiFi" in the car usable or do we need an external hotspot to do that?

I just ordered a U1000 from the Autobarn sale.
To do remote view with a dashcam you need an external hotspot, I don’t think you can use the BMW one as the SIM card is only for BMW’s own communication and emergency services I think

Getting my dashcam installed as I write
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2020, 02:01 AM   #33
firetitanx
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Mate GREAT RECOMMENDATION !!! (MC Security)

Mike and Jamie were so GOOD!!

My Blackvue was installed very professionally , they covered the seats for protection, and all the cables were neatly hidden away

Great guy's , very friendly and extremely knowledgable.

Would recommend them to all. 5 stars for them !!

Thanks for that vlo238.

Car is done now, no new gadgets now , just washing and DRIVING !!
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2020, 04:42 AM   #34
Slideit
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 330e

Quote:

My Blackvue was installed very professionally , they covered the seats for protection, and all the cables were neatly hidden away

Thanks for that vlo238.

I need these guys in Melbourne!
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2020, 05:59 AM   #35
vlo238
Private
Australia
Rep

Quote:

Thanks for that vlo238.

firetitanx - i am super glad you LOVED them. they are really professional and been in the industry for a long time. they are my preferred Audio/visiual team. very professional and respectful to cars. they always use the seat protectors to protect any damage and the installations are very clean and nearly tucked away.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2020, 10:14 AM   #36
firetitanx
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
firetitanx - i am super glad you LOVED them. they are really professional and been in the industry for a long time. they are my preferred Audio/visiual team. very professional and respectful to cars. they always use the seat protectors to protect any damage and the installations are very clean and nearly tucked away.
Yes i LOVE anybody that makes my car better

Going to put my wireless hotspot in my car now and then activate Blackvue cloud services subscription , then I will get automatic push sms's on any event woohoo and remote live view
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2020, 10:26 AM   #37
vlo238
Private
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Going to put my wireless hotspot in my car now and then activate Blackvue cloud services subscription , then I will get automatic push sms's on any event woohoo and remote live view
Wow that's a big upgrade. Yes I am balancing do I really need the live view, as hotspot can be really expensive as I don't know how much data is needed etc. let me know if you know any good deals or who you end up with
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2020, 05:25 PM   #38
firetitanx
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Wow that's a big upgrade. Yes I am balancing do I really need the live view, as hotspot can be really expensive as I don't know how much data is needed etc. let me know if you know any good deals or who you end up with
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Ah yes, lucky I bought a hotspot s while back , but have hardly used it.
I think I got 10GB a month when I bought the hotspot its a Netgear Nighthawk 4GX hotspot its very good, the new one is already out now, version 2 , I got it from Telstra .
I am not sure of how much data it will use , but if I just arm it for events, it should be ok.
Although I am seeing in real life , and event is when you come into the car and open the door or leave the car maybe thats the impact sensors being set to sensitive ? Not sure still playing around with the settings.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2020, 07:33 PM   #39
firetitanx
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I spent my time over Easter in isolation from the world, just like everyone else. Although I have a Drive Recorder installed in the car I felt the need to have dashcams to record any unfortunate events while parked. In addition, the dashcams also give you cool video while driving and also records events on the road that would otherwise not be recorded by the Drive Recorder - like the time a Merc driver decided to brake test me in a 40 kph zone (complete with middle finger) - WTF?

So I put the time to good use and installed the following in my car:

1. BlackVue DR900S dual channel dashcams.
2. Cellink Neo6 battery to run the dashcams while parked.

As I have not installed a Power Magic Pro, I have not conducted the research on how it should be installed. I'm sure someone else will be able to help with this.

In the meantime, here is a video on the installation and a PDF file of photos and a few tips to assist you, should you wish to install something similar in your own cars.

Hi Steve, just a quick update, when I got mine installed I printed out your pdf and said please install it like you did

So interesting these are the changes they suggested.

1. If you place the Neo in the right storage binnacle , you lose the space, so they installed mine , I think where the car battery resides I think top left corner.
Not sure if there is any need to access the battery regularly as bluetooth is always on and you can access it via the app to check status
So basically set and forget, is my thinking correct ?

2. For the front dashcam they mounted it to the left of the rear view mirror , so from the drivers position you cannot see it at all.

3. For the rear dashcam they mounted it so that the lens lines up with the roof antennae so pretty much in the centre

Here are some pix

Don't mind the white square reflection of the garage light in the front cam image.

Cheers
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-21-2020, 04:33 AM   #40
firetitanx
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Hey vlo238

Just tested the Blackvue connected to my Netgear Nighthawk hotspot !!
It works perfectly

So if I feel paranoid, I just switch on the hostspot and then the Blackvue connects to it, I goto the CLOUD option on the Blackvue app and Live View icon and voila I have a real time view of front or back from my Iphone.
Ok I forgot to tell you I subscribed to the Blackvue Cloud service $20 a month
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2020, 04:57 AM   #41
vlo238
Private
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Hey vlo238

Just tested the Blackvue connected to my Netgear Nighthawk hotspot !!
It works perfectly

So if I feel paranoid, I just switch on the hostspot and then the Blackvue connects to it, I goto the CLOUD option on the Blackvue app and Live View icon and voila I have a real time view of front or back from my Iphone.
Ok I forgot to tell you I subscribed to the Blackvue Cloud service $20 a month
Congrats firetitanx - yes I'm on the smart plan with blackvue as I have multiple cameras that's good it was an easy setup. Now for me to get this over the line is looking for a cheap monthly hotspot out there which wouldn't break the bank haha.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2020, 05:39 AM   #42
firetitanx
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Congrats firetitanx - yes I'm on the smart plan with blackvue as I have multiple cameras that's good it was an easy setup. Now for me to get this over the line is looking for a cheap monthly hotspot out there which wouldn't break the bank haha.
Cool

And the good thing is we can use our Parking batteries to charge our hotspot in a bind

One thing though, I suppose you also get the voice "Impact was detected" when you come back to your car because it regards opening and closing your door as an impact
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2020, 06:14 AM   #43
vlo238
Private
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Cool

And the good thing is we can use our Parking batteries to charge our hotspot in a bind

One thing though, I suppose you also get the voice "Impact was detected" when you come back to your car because it regards opening and closing your door as an impact
Hi firetitanx - yes that due to the impact sensitivity, I'm okay with that as I know that from experience of old cameras, I like it that way as once it detects that it emergency records so in the event this happens (touch-wood) I know the recording is safe and that would be the first footage I review
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2020, 07:13 AM   #44
SteveAus
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: G20 M340iX

Garage List
Quote:
Hi Steve, just a quick update, when I got mine installed I printed out your pdf and said please install it like you did

So interesting these are the changes they suggested.

1. If you place the Neo in the right storage binnacle , you lose the space, so they installed mine , I think where the car battery resides I think top left corner.
Not sure if there is any need to access the battery regularly as bluetooth is always on and you can access it via the app to check status
So basically set and forget, is my thinking correct ?

2. For the front dashcam they mounted it to the left of the rear view mirror , so from the drivers position you cannot see it at all.

3. For the rear dashcam they mounted it so that the lens lines up with the roof antennae so pretty much in the centre

Here are some pix

Don't mind the white square reflection of the garage light in the front cam image.

Cheers
Hi Firetitanx,

Yes, I had considered locating the Neo battery next to the Car battery under the boot floor, but I wanted easy access to the on/off switch on the Neo (just in case I need it - yes, a bit anal on my part).....hence its location in the first aid kit bin. Due to the adjustable net located there, I still have space for the crap I normally have in the car.....dog leads, treats, poo bags, a walking jacket for me, etc, etc.

I had considered putting the front camera where yours is located, but I thought it might have been a bit “in the face” for the passenger.
Tell me, do you still have easy access to the SD card?

For the rear camera, I located mine where I did as it is almost invisible both from outside of the car and through the rear vision mirror. The lens is reasonably close to Centre line (but not actually in the Centre). I noticed that the location of your rear camera is very low on the rear screen, however, I’m sure you will still get full view of the road behind.

I see you went for the Cloud option with your Blackvue. I’ll be interested if you use it much now and in the future. I figured that, with BMW Connect, I could see what was around the car if I wanted.....although I realize it would not give me an alarm that something had happened.

Anyway, enjoy the cameras. You can download some great footage after you’ve been for a spirited drive along some twisty country roads. Plus you can start your own collection of Wallies Behaving Badly on our roads!