Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums AUSTRALIA Coding for G20

05-22-2020, 01:39 AM   #1
SteveAus
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: G20 M340iX

Garage List
Coding for G20

Has anyone conducted any coding on their G20?

Last time I did any coding was 5-6 years ago on my F30, using E-SYS and an ODBII ethernet cable. I'm expecting that technology will have changed a bit since then, so what are people using these days? Or is E-SYS still the norm?

One thing that really annoys me every time I get into the car is the bloody disclaimer message. I soooo want to get rid of this!
      05-22-2020, 03:33 AM   #2
Tam the Bam
Grumpy Old Git
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 330i RWD M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveAus View Post

Last time I did any coding was 5-6 years ago on my F30, using E-SYS and an ODBII ethernet cable. I'm expecting that technology will have changed a bit since then, so what are people using these days? Or is E-SYS still the norm?

One thing that really annoys me every time I get into the car is the bloody disclaimer message. I soooo want to get rid of this!

People are still using esys with good results. Also Bimmercode is adding more functionality.

I haven’t done any myself yet.......

Plenty of discussion here....

https://g20.bimmerpost.com/forums/fo...play.php?f=785

F10 520D M Sport
E60 520D SE
Volvo S60 type R
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2020, 04:15 PM   #3
SteveAus
Captain
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tam the Bam View Post
People are still using esys with good results. Also Bimmercode is adding more functionality.

Thanks for the link, Tam.
I’ve just spent a considerable time going through many of the threads.
It seems to me that BimmerCode is not working that well at the moment, so I will go back to E-SYS for what I want to change.
Just need to find out where I can get the upgraded software, etc.

Again, thanks for your help.
      05-22-2020, 06:05 PM   #4
SteveAus
Captain
Australia
Rep

Garage List
I looked at Bimmer-Tech Remote coding........
I was gobsmacked at the price.
I had sent a list of the things I would like to be coded, but all they could do was Video in Motion.......not a high priority for me.
But the price for coding this one item was........get ready for this......US$ 174.00
Are they kidding!!!!!!
      05-22-2020, 06:08 PM   #5
Slideit
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 330e

Quote:
I looked at Bimmer-Tech Remote coding........
I was gobsmacked at the price.
I had sent a list of the things I would like to be coded, but all they could do was Video in Motion.......not a high priority for me.
But the price for coding this one item was........get ready for this......US$ 174.00
Are they kidding!!!!!!
That is insane for one feature.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2020, 10:43 PM   #6
firetitanx
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i M Sport 2020(G20)

Quote:

Hi Steve, yes I have an X1 rental, that message KILLS me , like seriously , at least the message that pops up in my other car just disappears if you do nothing.
Another useless action you have to perform every time you start the car. I know it's for liability but just like stop/start they can delete it
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2020, 08:46 PM   #7
digitallust
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2019 G20 BMW 330i M-Sport

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tam the Bam View Post

Thanks for the link, Tam.
I’ve just spent a considerable time going through many of the threads.
It seems to me that BimmerCode is not working that well at the moment, so I will go back to E-SYS for what I want to change.
Just need to find out where I can get the upgraded software, etc.

Again, thanks for your help.
Hey Steve, I was doing esys coding back on my F30 about 8 years ago I think our paths probably crossed back then regarding coding F30s

I've bought the BimmerCode app last week and a uni scan obd2 connector and I can confirm it works perfectly.

I've already coded M start up screens on both centre and instrument cluster screens, auto start stop remember last position, video in motion, removed the start up disclaimer and the reverse camera disclaimer. And my favourite, M dash layout. It's pretty easy using the app. And takes like seconds to code that way.

There is an expert mode which lets you change individual code like we used to do with esys. I'll be playing around with that this week to turn on assisted driving view, which is also already confirmed to work with the BimmerCode app.
Retired - 2018 - Range Rover Velar SE D240
Retired - 2015 - Mercedes Benz C250d AMG Line W205
Appreciate 1
SteveAus259.50
      05-26-2020, 09:30 PM   #8
SteveAus
Captain
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitallust View Post
Hey Steve, I was doing esys coding back on my F30 about 8 years ago I think our paths probably crossed back then regarding coding F30s

I've bought the BimmerCode app last week and a uni scan obd2 connector and I can confirm it works perfectly.

I've already coded M start up screens on both centre and instrument cluster screens, auto start stop remember last position, video in motion, removed the start up disclaimer and the reverse camera disclaimer. And my favourite, M dash layout. It's pretty easy using the app. And takes like seconds to code that way.

There is an expert mode which lets you change individual code like we used to do with esys. I'll be playing around with that this week to turn on assisted driving view, which is also already confirmed to work with the BimmerCode app.
Thanks Tam,
This is very interesting.
I haven’t pushed the button on E-Sys coding yet, and I know it can be a bit of a hassle juggling a 17” laptop in the car. So, I’m still interested in the BimmerCode app, but I had read there were some issues with it when trying to code a G20. However, now that I have read that it works fine for you, I’m considering going down this route.

Can you tell me where you get the necessary software and hardware to run BimmerCode? And an idea of the cost of these items?
With E-Sys, the token needed to run Launcher Pro is time limited. Is this the case with BimmerCode, or is it perpetual?
      05-26-2020, 10:58 PM   #9
digitallust
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Thanks Tam,
This is very interesting.
I haven't pushed the button on E-Sys coding yet, and I know it can be a bit of a hassle juggling a 17" laptop in the car. So, I'm still interested in the BimmerCode app, but I had read there were some issues with it when trying to code a G20. However, now that I have read that it works fine for you, I'm considering going down this route.

Can you tell me where you get the necessary software and hardware to run BimmerCode? And an idea of the cost of these items?
With E-Sys, the token needed to run Launcher Pro is time limited. Is this the case with BimmerCode, or is it perpetual?
Yeah I was the same, I'm an Apple fan boy these days so wasn't keen on buying another windows laptop.

This is so much simpler and stable and haven't heard of any issues with BimmerCode

I downloaded the app from the App Store it's free to play around with , you can go into demo mode and have a look and look up what can be coded in the G series .

To code properly you need to buy the app $50 and it's a one of charge and they regularly update it to add more coding

They list the preferred adapters you need as cheaper ones limit what you can code, I bought a uni scan one for about $95 and it was express posted in two days.

There isn't a lot that can coded but all the important stuff can be and the added bonus is it's updated regularly

BimmerCode is very straight forward and user friendly, personally I think it's worth the investment.
Cheers, Matt
Appreciate 1
SteveAus259.50
      05-27-2020, 12:44 AM   #10
SteveAus
Captain
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Cheers Matt for the rapid response.
In light of regular updates, BimmerCode looks like a simpler solution to E-Sys.
It’s worth it to me to give it a go.
Many thanks again for the heads up. Much appreciated.
Steve.
      05-27-2020, 09:33 AM   #11
digitallust
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
It's worth it to me to give it a go.
Steve.
Just a little evening coding

I've got an April 2019 build, pre July where they introduced assisted driving view. Now I have it I'm stoked
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Slideit49.00
      05-27-2020, 04:45 PM   #12
SteveAus
Captain
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Good one!
My build is 2020 and I already have the assisted driving display, and I love it!
It’s a great display, and I like the way you can see and adjust your Cruising distance from the vehicle in front.

I saw in a US thread that you can go one step further with this, by coding assisted lane change.......indicate to change lanes, and the car will check if it’s safe to do so, and then do it. Spooky....
      05-28-2020, 01:12 AM   #13
BlackShadowKiwi
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 G01 LCI M40i

Quote:

I've got an April 2019 build, pre July where they introduced assisted driving view. Now I have it I'm stoked
Did you use BimmerCode or esys? Mine is March 2019 build, and would love this.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2020, 01:29 AM   #14
digitallust
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackShadowKiwi View Post
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

Years ago I used Esys, but didn't want to go down that track again, requires a lot of messing around. I've done all my coding with BimmerCode app on iOS $49 and uniscan obd2 $90 piece of cake, literally takes a few minutes to code.

It will definitely work on your March 19
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2020, 05:42 PM   #15
NoSUV4Me
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G20 330i M Sport

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

Years ago I used Esys, but didn't want to go down that track again, requires a lot of messing around. I've done all my coding with BimmerCode app on iOS $49 and uniscan obd2 $90 piece of cake, literally takes a few minutes to code.

Is this the one?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-28-2020, 06:46 PM   #16
Osheatwo
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 Comp Xdrive

Garage List
2021 BMW X5 M50i  [10.00]
2023 BMW 330E  [10.00]
Quote:
Quote:
It's worth it to me to give it a go.
Steve.

Can you share what options you coded in Bimmercode to get it working? Thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2020, 09:03 PM   #17
SteveAus
Captain
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSUV4Me View Post
Is this the one?
Yes. This is the one. It costs $49.99 from the App Store for the full version. It’s free for the demo version to play around with. The App is updated regularly.
No time limit on BimmerCode, whereas an E-Sys Token normally has a 2-1/2 year time limit.

There is a range in prices for the OBDII connector, but the one I ordered cost $95 as opposed to another that I was looking at which was $299!!!
The one I bought is the same as TamtheBam (Matt) and Digitallust have, UniScan OBDII. I’m hoping it will be delivered to me on Monday. Then I can get rid of those bloody disclaimer messages. Oh yeah!
      05-29-2020, 02:52 AM   #18
BlackShadowKiwi
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep

Quote:

Can you please share what coding we need to do? Much appreciated
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2020, 12:05 AM   #19
BlackShadowKiwi
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep

For all, I found this, tried and it failed for me.

Originally Posted by zachart View Post
- go into Expert Mode in KOMBI ECU
- search for each parameter (there is a search box)
- change
- Code
CB_FZG_UMGEBUNG_FAS: aktiv (01)
CB_PRESELECT_NAVI_ANSICHT_FZG_UMGEBUNG: aktiv (01)
PIA_FZG_UMGEBUNG_FAS: aktiv (01)
SICHT_ABSICHT_ENABLE: aktiv (01)

This is the guide I followed - I didn't have a PIA_FZG parameter so I only changed the three things and it still works for me.

I do have the PIA_ so not sure it including that caused it to crash.

I had o do a restore and all good, so a little suspect about trying again.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2020, 03:15 AM   #20
BlackShadowKiwi
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep

Quote:

- change
- Code

So I bit the bullet and did again without changing PIA_ and worked fine
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2020, 03:49 AM   #21
digitallust
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

- change
- Code

So I bit the bullet and did again without changing PIA_ and worked fine
Those instructions worked perfectly for me first time,
Although I didn't have the PIA string in my coding so I didn't change it
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2020, 06:44 PM   #22
westozy
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 330i

My thanks to the posters here for starting and sharing the ground works on coding.

Dipped my toes in the water and bought the UniCarScan 2000 plus the BimmerCode app.

Have set up most of the car using idrive 7 but my 2 major peeve’s are the ASS (cannot be good for the battery, starter motor and engine wear) and the Air Re circulation (why is it not on all the time and switch off when I want to? Toyota do the same with my Landcruiser, I don’t want to smell the exhaust of the vehicles in front!).

Genius at West Coast BMW must have felt for me after I banged on about wanting the latest software installed on delivery so we got the car without the legal disclaimers. A small win for us. Unlike the Cruiser, the 330 doesn’t have door chimes. Another win!!

My wife (it’s her car) wanted the chimes for the seatbelts to stay on. A small loss for me. Unfortunately when I was coding, my fat finger must have de-activated the passenger seat chime!! She, (nor I) didn’t like it when the mirrors change angles when reversing, so took that off as well. Might put it back on later but at a lesser angle.

The BimerCode is a work in progress so doesn’t have all the features as shown from the U-tube vids from past years but has upgrades sent when they are added. As said, there are a lot of features on idrive now that BimmerCode used to do.

My congrats to those of you who are competent enough to go into expert mode and hope to see your results posted here in the future.
Appreciate 0