Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions Is the executive package worth getting for laser headlights?

06-12-2020, 02:30 PM   #23
Benjamin_Nicholas
BEAST? ... How dare you.
Rep
Drives: BMW, Porsche

I don't see why this is such an issue.

Get the lights in the US. Get the car coded. It's easy.

You can also do it yourself with the right gear.
2023 BMW X5M
2020 BMW M340i (retired)
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2020, 08:06 PM   #24
Flamingi
First Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: M550d F11, 225xe U06

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by upsidedownfunnel View Post
The package is $2100 in America. Everything else that comes with it is useless. gesture control? Does anyone actually use that or feel that it's better than steering wheel controls? Auto high beams might be worth it, but they are ripping you off if that's all you're getting for that much money. Don't get me started on self parking. I've had it on multiple cars, it's a pointless purely software feature that no one who knows how to park uses ever.
No it is not $2100, it is $1200 more than the LEDs. Premium Pack is $4700 and Executive is $5900... Maybe I made a mistake? But I'm pretty sure the difference is $1200. I think it is save to say you definitely want to get at least the LEDs with cornering light. Also, you might not like the additional features, but you can't just not acknowledge them at all, they are there so it is not $1200 for only the lasers.

Quote:
Also, the laserlight low beams are exactly the same as the adaptive LEDs. Laserlights do not come into play in America unless you use high beams. If you actually look at the IIHS ratings, the low beam ratings and projection charts are identical. The only difference is that high beam is slightly weaker on the adaptive LED cars.
Seems like you are right. I have only looked at the illustration and there the lasers have better low beams. I don't know why they made it look better in the picture if the numbers are the same... But it seems like the LEDs do create some glare.

Quote:
A $50k-$60k luxury car with a $2100 option package that requires an additional paid coding session as soon as you buy it? As an enthusiasts and DIYer, I have no problem coding it. But many people are still paying to have this done and many who want to do it still are not able to get it done or aren't very impressed by the results.
So what, getting it coded for like 50 bucks (or doing it yourself by following a step by step guide in 10 mins) sure doesn't hurt anyone with a new BMW. And if it does, maybe shouldn't have bought the car in the first place...
Fact is, the European anti dazzle lights are one of the best on the market (Multibeam has more individually dimmable LEDs, but not sure if that is noticeable. Audi introduced their projecter lights, you could literally watch a movie with them. Other than those the other systems use not enough zones or don't have algorithms with a good object detection). Assuming the coding will allow you to use the same functions as in Europe, anyone not satisfied just has too high expectations. At night I pretty much have highbeems on all the time and only exactly where other cars are, there is no high beam. It works and I don't see how they could even improve this (except for brighter lights). Keep in mind the new system is different to the anti dazzle introduced in the F06 (iirc): there you have the high beams only left to the most left car and right to the most right car. If there are two cars in front of you, you won't have high beams between them (or behind/above of them). With the new system there is just a rectangle of no highbeams exactly where the other cars are.
Appreciate 1
Poochie9103.00
      06-12-2020, 10:35 PM   #25
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

[/QUOTE]

Assuming the coding will allow you to use the same functions as in Europe, anyone not satisfied just has too high expectations[/QUOTE]

Agreed.

The way some people describe their interpretation of the technology is that they assume because it cost a certain figure, laser high-beams should remain steady burning, for a continuous period of time, regardless of its need.

That's misguided, as the computer program controls the beam output, based on data from the KAFAS camera and there is no way to manually overwrite this, not even in the European market.

Laser light would of never gotten federal approval, both US and internationally, if it had the ability to be manually overwritten the beam output. The US governing bodies only allowed approval of this technology because BMW was able to demonstrate that its operation would be handled by the computer and there are certain failsafes built into the system, which was the compromise in getting it green-lit, stateside. After all, we're all still living in a society, that share the roads with other motorist.

The hardware and software are identical between the US and ROW. The only difference is the Glare Free Anti-Dazzle feature is decoded because North American archaic laws is interpreted as the beam output is allowed to move around, in a continuum, just merely on or off.

I have European Xenon headlights, with GFHB coded in my vehicle and it operates identically to that of laser headlights, with ECE GFHB, illustrated in the video above.

You guys are possible attempting to glare other drivers by wanting to run the high-beams, at will, when the camera system is quicker than a human in making the appropriate beam determination.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2020, 03:29 PM   #26
Aero7000
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M340i DravitGrau / Cognac

So on US car I have:
S5AZ BMW Laserlicht
S5AL Active Protection
S5AP Decoding Anti-Glare High-Beam Assistant

So what is Decoding AntiGlare is? Does it mean that I pay to disable a feature?
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2020, 03:49 PM   #27
FrostNixon
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: vw golf

My personal opinion on the laserlight is that, no offense, people whi get the m340i buy, since they want to spend their money on something. No one ever had am issue with regular lights, even on old cars, so what more than prestige or looks? I don't care about 750m vision.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2020, 03:57 PM   #28
cisternachyli
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: Acura TLX

Why haven't US regulations been updated yet?
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2020, 04:35 PM   #29
Flamingi
First Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: M550d F11, 225xe U06

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aero7000 View Post
So on US car I have:
S5AZ BMW Laserlicht
S5AL Active Protection
S5AP Decoding Anti-Glare High-Beam Assistant

So what is Decoding AntiGlare is? Does it mean that I pay to disable a feature?
Basically, yes. The US lasers don't have the EU have anti dazzle feature.

This was the implementation since like 7 years ago. I thought with the laser lights they have changed the technology similar to the one of Mercedes' Multibeam, but I don't find any information, so maybe I'm remembering that wrong...
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2020, 07:50 PM   #30
Dog Face Pony Soldier
2006 TIME Person Of The Year
United_States
Rep
Drives: M Sport 335i

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
For the record it is misleading to state that laser headlights "aren't any brighter" than LED, because laser lamps illuminate better. While both may technically measure out at the same output level, lasers produce a broader spectrum of light that is closer to sunlight. Amplitude (brightness) is only part of the story; bandwidth is a major factor too.