Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions Should I go from my F30 330e to a G20 330e?

06-04-2020, 08:14 PM   #1
PHEVLady
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 330e

Should I go from my F30 330e to a G20 330e?

This is my first post, so I hope I have found the correct sub-forum.

The lease is ending on my BMW 330e 2017. This was the first time I leased a car; I plan to purchase the next one.

My local dealer has a 330e 2021 arriving soon to the showroom -- it was a custom order, but the client switched to a 530e. The extra options selected are the premium package, 19" wheels, and the Harmon Kardon sound system. I hope to be able to get a test drive next week.

I have the option of taking a lease-buyout (discounted $6000 from the residual) on the 2017 model, but it would be expensive to extend the maintenance.

I test drove a new 2019 Volvo PHEV S60 T8 today, so that's another option.

I'm open to suggestions on whether to make the switch to the newer 330e.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2020, 12:04 AM   #2
ovesund
Private First Class
Sweden
Rep
Drives: i4 e40, i3 60Ah, G20 330e

Go for it!
I have a 330e 2020 and I really don't miss my old 320d 2017 at all.

There's nothing wrong with the old generation but the new one feels just more thought through when it comes to infotainment and interior design.
There are some things I liked better about the old one but I'm not complaining.
The new 330e also has a slightly larger battery, which I guess might come in handy with the bigger wheels.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2020, 03:08 PM   #3
joselrl
Private
Portugal
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 330e 2019

I test drove the s60 T8 and the 330e, the S60 didn't feel as refined as the 330e in regards of the transmissions and the engine start/stop while driving. And even tho it has ~100+ hp than the 330e it doesn't feel that much faster because of it. The driving feel of the BMW is better in every way, and gets better MPG while cruising in the highway from my test

Also I absolutely despise Volvo infotainment system, being touch screen only is a road hazard to use while driving (even AC controls are touch), and even the touch system is not as good as BMW

But for each their own, test it and see what you like
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2020, 05:50 PM   #4
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

Quote:
Originally Posted by joselrl View Post
I test drove the s60 T8 and the 330e, the S60 didn't feel as refined as the 330e in regards of the transmissions and the engine start/stop while driving. And even tho it has ~100+ hp than the 330e it doesn't feel that much faster because of it. The driving feel of the BMW is better in every way, and gets better MPG while cruising in the highway from my test

Also I absolutely despise Volvo infotainment system, being touch screen only is a road hazard to use while driving (even AC controls are touch), and even the touch system is not as good as BMW

But for each their own, test it and see what you like
Very interresting. I cross shopped the Volve XC60 T8 with 400 HP against the BMW 530e. I found that even with way less horsepower, the BMW felt faster. Needless to say, I bought the BMW.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2020, 10:14 PM   #5
PHEVLady
United_States
Rep

(OP here). I finally test drove the new G20 330e (MY 2021) today. I like the improvements over the MY 2017. Besides the larger EV battery, the ride seems smoother. The interior / dashboard is more attractive; I think the exterior lines are improved; I especially like the touch-screen display, the relocation of the start/stop button, and having unlock buttons on the inside door handles. I miss the compass on the mirror.

Most of the models coming into my area are the basic car with the convenience package (standard in USA) and Sensatec seats, and maybe a couple upgraded options.

The MY2017 that I'm leasing has lots of bells and whistles, so I'm trying to decide which options I really want and which I don't need, as I'm unlikely to get all those goodies with the limited inventory for the new models. I currently have the LED fog lights and ambient lighting (these were included as standard), driving assistance package (now standard), parking assistance package (add-on that I like but not seeing on new cars arriving), and heated front seats (add-on, which I've never used). I have wireless charging,which I rarely use because I forget that my phone is there and leave it in the car.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2020, 02:02 AM   #6
zamboni
I want to drive a Zamboni
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13 E93 M3 18 F80 M3 16 K71

Garage List
16 K71 F800GT  [10.00]
2018 F80 M3  [10.00]
2013 BMW E93 M3  [10.00]
Since you are planning to purchase the car why not order one with the options you wanted? You are in SoCal and there are plenty of dealers to work with.

2000 E46,2006 E90,09 E82,13 E93 328i,14 F30 335i,18 F80 M3
My next vehicle would be a Zamboni
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2020, 08:30 AM   #7
Flamingi
First Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: M550d F11, 225xe U06

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PHEVLady View Post
I miss the compass on the mirror.
Didn't know this is a thing with BMWs, must be US-spec, since I never saw it on the German BMWs. I always wondered why do you need it? What does it actually offer? Why don't you just use the navigation? Always thought it's for like offroading in the Australian outback hundreds of miles away from the next road/city. Genuinely curious.

Quote:
Most of the models coming into my area are the basic car with the convenience package (standard in USA) and Sensatec seats, and maybe a couple upgraded options.
Must have options imo are
  • Driving Assistant Professional (request a test drive before you discard it as an option, it's a great improvement compared to the previous version)
  • If you are willing to do some coding get the Laser Lights with the Executive Package, they look cooler and if you get them coded to EU-spec they have the full funcitoning anti-dazzle high beams. If you don't want to get them coded, don't bother with the Lasers (except you like the looks of course)
  • Ambient Lighting just because it looks cool (again, huge upgrade compared to the F30 much brighter, more lights in general and colors to choose from)
  • Sensatec dashboard, the stitching and better haptic feeling is worth it (and it's only $350 in the US!)
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2020, 08:47 AM   #8
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamboni View Post
Since you are planning to purchase the car why not order one with the options you wanted? You are in SoCal and there are plenty of dealers to work with.
+1. That is what I did. A couple of my must haves: Headup display (HUD) and Adaptive cruise control. I find that even in city traffic, the ACC can reduce stress.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2020, 08:49 AM   #9
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamboni View Post
+1. That is what I did. A couple of my must haves: Headup display (HUD) and Adaptive cruise control. I find that even in city traffic, the ACC can reduce stress.

I am not aware of the seat choices on the new 3 series but this forum, and the other one, are rife with folks complaining about one or the other. So also try to sit in cars with different BMW seats and figure out what works for you.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2020, 09:45 PM   #10
PHEVLady
United_States
Rep

I test drove another new 330e today. This one had the premium package with HUD; I found the HUD distracting -- but I see that many on the forum like it. Most of the incoming inventory has the Convenience package with heated front seats, plus 2-4 options. I've not seen any with the Executive package.

The other options I'm seeing are:
- 19" double-spoke wheels
- ambient lighting
- HK sound system
- wireless charging with WiFi Hotspot
- power tailgate
- parking assistance package

I don't see any seat style options, other than Sensatec vs leather.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2020, 02:10 PM   #11
PHEVLady
United_States
Rep

We've narrowed our new 330e to a few choices. We are deciding between cars that differ by the following options:
(1) includes HUD, heated steering wheel, and HK sound
(2) includes parking assistance package, wireless charging / WiFi, and HK sound
(3) includes parking assistance package and ambient lighting
(4) includes HUD, heated steering wheel, and ambient lighting

We are leaning toward option (2)
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2020, 03:01 PM   #12
FrostNixon
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: vw golf

Quote:
We've narrowed our new 330e to a few choices. We are deciding between cars that differ by the following options:

2 sounds the best indeed, but must say the US options are very strange to me.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2020, 04:18 PM   #13
mcjohnsonsg
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M340 xdrive

Quote:

I'm a big fan of HUD, so would go with one of those. I use HUD more than the screen in the dash.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2020, 04:33 PM   #14
eddiehaug
Lieutenant
Norway
Rep
Drives: i4M50

Garage List
2023 BMW i4M50  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcjohnsonsg View Post
Quote:

I'm a big fan of HUD, so would go with one of those. I use HUD more than the screen in the dash.
Same here, the HUD is simply awesome, I wouldn't have another car without it. It's as much a security feature as it is nice for convenience. It allows you to always keep your eyes on the road and when used with the Nav is just great for getting around in new areas.

My car's got all the options and I'm still to think there's something I wouldn't use or need. The only thing I've never used are the gear shifting paddles, but that's just because the gearbox in the car is so freaking amazing.

So, HUD totally a must-have, and then get all the other options you can. The 330e has no mimicky options, everything is actually useful.

Previous BMWs: 330e Touring xDrive (G21, 2021), 330e (G20, 2019), 530e (G30, 2018).
Appreciate 1