Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Technical Topics Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior & interior) Replica MPerformance rear diffuser gloss black w/color matched white center

06-09-2020, 07:55 PM   #23
chenry
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by VipinLJ View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by chenry View Post
exhaust finishers/tips (whatever they are called) are now in being powder coated gloss black - I'll have them back in a day or two and will post updated photos for anyone that is interested.
Should look even better with the tips in black
i agree - i originally thought leaving them in their natural state would outline and/or define them more against the gloss black diffuser - and look nice. But now that i see that arrangement in person it's clear to me that i'll like the gloss better.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2020, 08:32 PM   #24
PersonaNonGrata
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

Quote:
exhaust finishers/tips (whatever they are called) are now in being powder coated gloss black - I'll have them back in a day or two and will post updated photos for anyone that is interested.
You don’t mess around! If it were me, that diffuser project would’ve sat in my garage for 8 months at least and you’re already on Step 2 of the rear bumper project. It’s going to look awesome!
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2020, 10:21 PM   #25
miked1999
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 M340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Trendsetter! Honestly, I wasn't sure how it would turn out, but wow... I'm a little surprised by how much I like it.

Out of curiosity, how much is the shop charging to powder coat the tips?
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2020, 12:51 AM   #26
Linde
Rep
Drives: 330i Msport Touring

Quote:
Here is their listing on eBay - perhaps they ship outside of the US? Hope this helps

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fits-19-20-...72.m2749.l2649
Thanks for the ebay listing. Unfortunately the shipping cost is out of this world:
Shipping:$2,000.00

Now I'm looking at the AC Schnitzer version instead.
Now back to the topic
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2020, 11:22 AM   #27
chenry
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PersonaNonGrata View Post
You don’t mess around! If it were me, that diffuser project would’ve sat in my garage for 8 months at least and you’re already on Step 2 of the rear bumper project. It’s going to look awesome!
Thank you!
Ha well it looks like you are in SoCal too. So you know how easy it is to get automotive stuff done around here. And for me after more cars than I care to admit since I got my license 32 years ago - I have a good list of go-to shops in my local area for just about anything I need (this is both a blessing and a curse)
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2020, 11:26 AM   #28
chenry
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by miked1999 View Post
Trendsetter! Honestly, I wasn't sure how it would turn out, but wow... I'm a little surprised by how much I like it.

Out of curiosity, how much is the shop charging to powder coat the tips?
Yeah you and me both (in terms of liking it more than I thought I would) :-)

$80 for both tips powder coated gloss black (I'll post pics before and after I install them). Not the best price but a good price from a local shop I know and trust. And I get them back in 1-2 days which helps minimize the shame my M340 is presently feeling with its' rear end exposed without tips - so it's worth it to me
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2020, 02:10 PM   #29
Rocket455
Grumpysaurus Rex
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M550i

Garage List
1972 Firechicken  [0.00]
1969 Toronado  [0.00]
1970 Camaro  [0.00]
Quote:
here are the pics. Don't love it 100% but also don't hate it - going to live with it for a while (knowing gloss black is only a day away) and see where I settle.

I do like that it is something different - and I am tired of looking at all gloss black rear diffusers on my cars- so maybe this will work for me in time. Think I need to do the tips in black (gloss black emblem is on its' way from IND).

That said - for reference here you go :-)
I love the look! I think it's subtle things like this that can really set you apart from the crowd.
      06-11-2020, 06:05 PM   #30
chenry
Colonel
United_States
Rep

black exhaust finishers/tips added. As usual the lighting is poor and my photo skills are very much lacking - but hope this helps for reference.

In a couple weeks I'll get some better photos up of the entire car for anyone that is interested but in the meantime....
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
VipinLJ1936.50
OM3RTA391.00
      06-12-2020, 02:15 AM   #31
PunkSinatra
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Alpina D5S

I love it. It's looking very good on the white car. My m340 is dravit, so I'll be looking for the CF version.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2020, 03:30 AM   #32
VipinLJ
Petrolhead
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘20 330i,‘16 X3,‘18 SQ5,‘17 A7

Yup. It looks lovely. Something I would’ve done if I had an M340i
2017 Audi A7 Prestige
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2020, 01:43 AM   #33
PersonaNonGrata
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

It looks awesome! Clean and mean! Some daylight pics would be great!

Now for me to spend more of your money: black ///M340i badge from IND has to be next. You're welcome!
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2020, 02:25 AM   #34
VipinLJ
Petrolhead
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘20 330i,‘16 X3,‘18 SQ5,‘17 A7

Quote:

Now for me to spend more of your money: black ///M340i badge from IND has to be next. You're welcome!
Lol I agree.

Black M340i badges or no badge and it would be the perfect storm trooper!
2017 Audi A7 Prestige
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2020, 02:38 PM   #35
chenry
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:

too funny already spent ha - gloss black badges were ordered about 1.5 weeks ago and will be here on Monday

so you're going to have to try harder to spend my money lol

ps- yes i agree on some daylight pics - going to have a complete set up in about a week (going to have my Son and a friend go take some shots with something other than a phone)
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2020, 12:11 AM   #36
PersonaNonGrata
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
too funny already spent ha - gloss black badges were ordered about 1.5 weeks ago and will be here on Monday

so you're going to have to try harder to spend my money lol

ps- yes i agree on some daylight pics - going to have a complete set up in about a week (going to have my Son and a friend go take some shots with something other than a phone)
LOL! You're thinking ahead. Those black badges will complete the rear end but on spending more of your money, CHALLENGE ACCEPTED!

These are some of the nicest OEM wheels BMW has produced and FORGED! These will complete the look of your white/black M340i!

Style 795M forged wheels with tires

A pricey item but as long as we're spending your money, it's not a problem! But seriously, those are beautiful wheels. I hope VMR makes a well priced knock off.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2020, 12:04 PM   #37
chenry
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
LOL! You're thinking ahead. Those black badges will complete the rear end but on spending more of your money, CHALLENGE ACCEPTED!

These are some of the nicest OEM wheels BMW has produced and FORGED! These will complete the look of your white/black M340i!
Sorry to OP for the thread jack (oh wait that's me)

While the 795 wheel is indeed a looker I am not a fan of the specifications in terms of width and offset for a 20" wheel (for me - it's too narrow and the offset is too low). But to each their own - and that's what makes things fun and interesting.

Thanks for the suggestion though!

Money next week will be going to my favorite place to spend money....Mission Performance as I bump my stage 1 to a stage 2 and have them install a CG-Precision catted downpipe
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2020, 02:07 PM   #38
PersonaNonGrata
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Sorry to OP for the thread jack (oh wait that's me)

While the 795 wheel is indeed a looker I am not a fan of the specifications in terms of width and offset for a 20" wheel (for me - it's too narrow and the offset is too low). But to each their own - and that's what makes things fun and interesting.

Thanks for the suggestion though!

Money next week will be going to my favorite place to spend money....Mission Performance as I bump my stage 1 to a stage 2 and have them install a CG-Precision catted downpipe
There is a post here you probably saw where the OP has an Oxide II M340i with 795M wheels but he runs spacers so I get what you mean. I haven't seen them on a car in person but I too prefer a flush look for wheels. I had good luck with VMR applications in the past and if I were looking for a reasonably priced aesthetic change of wheels, I'd consider them.

There is no doubt in my mind you are doing modding right with your car. It's looking great and MP will make it go great(er)! We're lucky to live near enough to MP to drive over to them. Alas, I leased so I'm not looking to do any major mods.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2020, 09:09 PM   #39
JDUNITNOW
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335I, 750li, X5 G80

Are you thinking of going with the replica wheels? can't wait to see based on previous cars you owned and your sons car.
04 BMW X5
11 BMW 335i convertible (sold, sellers market
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2020, 12:57 PM   #40
chenry
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyndi335I View Post
Are you thinking of going with the replica wheels? can't wait to see based on previous cars you owned and your sons car.
Thanks! :-)

No not just yet - for now I'm sticking with the 791's in that I am enjoying the silver with the gloss black accents in the wheels (I feel the gloss black offers some continuity with the gloss black on the car). That said I did just install 13/15MM spacers and lowered the car on Dinan springs/bumpstops.

I'm pretty happy with the outcome - my Son is out with a friend shooting some pics of the car so I'll have those to share for anyone that is interested in a couple days.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2020, 04:33 PM   #41
chris_portimaog20
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 Bmw 330xi

Quote:
Couple thoughts from the install
  • fit is darn near perfect - super impressed - I recommend
  • install is about 10 mins - took me longer because I wasn't quite sure what I needed to remove - so removed more screws than necessary
  • took some pics that I'll share
  • you only need to remove four 10mm bolts and then the rest are clips that simply pop out when you pull on the diffuser
  • I removed the exhaust finishers because I thought it was necessary - you don't but now I know they are only secured by two simple 10mm bolts (so that's good to know)
  • pro tip - the center section comes with an extra long tab (see pics) I couldn't figure out why it wouldn't fit - but then it dawned on me the extended tabs are for a 330 and for an M340 you need to cut the tab at the trim line (see pic). Of course there were no install instructions that mentioned this :-)
Opinion at the end of the day is that this is a great part! What you decide to do with the center section is up to you but fit and finish is awesome (at least on the one I received)
this seems fairly simple considering the body shop gave me a quote of 500 $ because they insisted they had to remove the entire rear bumper.
how did you go about disconnecting all the tabs safely after removing the four screws.

ps. I took a look behind my stock diffuser and I saw some wiring in the middle did you have to disconnect any wires?

any help greatly appreciated
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2020, 04:38 PM   #42
OM3RTA
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330i M Sport, Audi A3 2.0 TDI

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_portimaog20 View Post
this seems fairly simple considering the body shop gave me a quote of 500 $ because they insisted they had to remove the entire rear bumper.
how did you go about disconnecting all the tabs safely after removing the four screws.

ps. I took a look behind my stock diffuser and I saw some wiring in the middle did you have to disconnect any wires?

any help greatly appreciated
No the entire rear bumper does not need to come off so those guys have no idea what they are talking about.

The tabs will pop right out as soon as you have one released. In my case I found it easier to release the screws farthest in the corner then pull out the tabs from there.

You will not need to touch the wiring at all.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2020, 05:23 PM   #43
chris_portimaog20
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 Bmw 330xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by OM3RTA View Post
No the entire rear bumper does not need to come off so those guys have no idea what they are talking about.

The tabs will pop right out as soon as you have one released. In my case I found it easier to release the screws farthest in the corner then pull out the tabs from there.

You will not need to touch the wiring at all.
funny thing is that it is the bodyshop certified with BMW in my area.
thanks for the advice I'll give it another go.
I thought the wiring was for my kick sensor for the trunk and that it was attached to the diffuser
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2020, 07:52 PM   #44
JDUNITNOW
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335I, 750li, X5 G80

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyndi335I View Post
Thanks! :-)

No not just yet - for now I'm sticking with the 791's in that I am enjoying the silver with the gloss black accents in the wheels (I feel the gloss black offers some continuity with the gloss black on the car). That said I did just install 13/15MM spacers and lowered the car on Dinan springs/bumpstops.

I'm pretty happy with the outcome - my Son is out with a friend shooting some pics of the car so I'll have those to share for anyone that is interested in a couple days.
can't wait to see once you finish. its always great to get ideas from other forum members.
04 BMW X5
11 BMW 335i convertible (sold, sellers market
Appreciate 0