Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums AUSTRALIA Rear window tinting causes light refraction issues

06-23-2020, 05:15 PM   #23
firetitanx
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i M Sport 2020(G20)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bris-M340i View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by firetitanx View Post
Black Armour, its ok on the side windows but apparently not good on the rear
That sux. Surely the installer should have enough experience to identify where it will or won’t work. They are the experts. The least they can do is try another film type for you or find a solution. That’s just not good enough and I would argue the point if I was you.

I’m getting 3M window tinting on Thursday. Any tips to avoid this issue?
Quote:
Quote:
That sux. Surely the installer should have enough experience to identify where it will or won't work. They are the experts. The least they can do is try another film type for you or find a solution. That's just not good enough and I would argue the point if I was you.

I'm getting 3M window tinting on Thursday. Any tips to avoid this issue?
Yup that's what I thought , my argument is if the tinter knew there was an issue why did they not tell BMW and then they would not offer it to their customers

The issue is not something insignificant , you notice it straight away at night , so I am not sure why this issue was not picked up before
Our model has been out for 1 and a half years already !! So they must have tinted lots of our cars before and surely somebody must of complained

When I spoke to the second tinter he said he uses Solarguard , he said that 3M was very good but something about it was difficult to get stock from them

I just want to drive the car now and be happy after waiting 4 and a half months and basically all my life to get this car I will just have the rear tint removed and drive it at least I know there won't be any issues
If I find it destroys the look later on down the line I might just remove all the tint from all the windows and redo it with solar guard or another brand and another tinter

Sorry no other tips I can give except , please ask the tinters when they tint to cover your seats and your speakers in the rear parcel shelf as there is a lot to water splashing around when they do it and you don't want that sitting On your beautiful leather

Ah and ask for a non reflective tint on the back if that's possible as apparently this glaring is caused by the reflective nature of the tint

And please test it at night and let the tinter know if there are glares then the type of tint needs to be changed

I will let you know what it looks like without the tint only next week though so that may be too late as maybe the rear is dark enough and you may not even need to tint the back

Ah also get a proper guarantee certificate from your tinter just in case there are any issues

Good luck and let me know if you go 3M and if it's good maybe I will do that next
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2020, 05:49 PM   #24
firetitanx
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
That sux. Surely the installer should have enough experience to identify where it will or won't work. They are the experts. The least they can do is try another film type for you or find a solution. That's just not good enough and I would argue the point if I was you.

Quote:
Quote:

Yup that's what I thought , my argument is if the tinter knew there was an issue why did they not tell BMW and then they would not offer it to their customers

The issue is not something insignificant , you notice it straight away at night , so I am not sure why this issue was not picked up before
Our model has been out for 1 and a half years already !! So they must have tinted lots of our cars before and surely somebody must of complained

When I spoke to the second tinter he said he uses Solarguard , he said that 3M was very good but something about it was difficult to get stock from them

I just want to drive the car now and be happy after waiting 4 and a half months and basically all my life to get this car I will just have the rear tint removed and drive it at least I know there won't be any issues
If I find it destroys the look later on down the line I might just remove all the tint from all the windows and redo it with solar guard or another brand and another tinter

Sorry no other tips I can give except , please ask the tinters when they tint to cover your seats and your speakers in the rear parcel shelf as there is a lot to water splashing around when they do it and you don't want that sitting On your beautiful leather

Ah and ask for a non reflective tint on the back if that's possible as apparently this glaring is caused by the reflective nature of the tint

And please test it at night and let the tinter know if there are glares then the type of tint needs to be changed

I will let you know what it looks like without the tint only next week though so that may be too late as maybe the rear is dark enough and you may not even need to tint the back

Ah also get a proper guarantee certificate from your tinter just in case there are any issues

Good luck and let me know if you go 3M and if it's good maybe I will do that next
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

So here's a picture this morning of the reflection of the speakers off the windscreen , so not sure if this is normal or to do with the tint
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-24-2020, 04:36 AM   #25
Bris-M340i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i

Do you guys recommend avoiding getting the tinting due to the dimming issues?
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2020, 04:41 AM   #26
Bris-M340i
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

Will let you know how I go. Good luck with yours too.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2020, 04:57 AM   #27
firetitanx
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I was like you very concerned 'looked at all the forum posts and even asked the dealer if they had such issues but they said they did not
Mine is 35% and I have had no issues it's been 9 days so far and have noticed no dimming issues at all
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2020, 05:15 AM   #28
Bris-M340i
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I was like you very concerned 'looked at all the forum posts and even asked the dealer if they had such issues but they said they did not
Mine is 35% and I have had no issues it's been 9 days so far and have noticed no dimming issues at all
Okay that’s one positive from your nightmare experience.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2020, 05:47 AM   #29
Slideit
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 330e

Quote:
Mine has dimming. Not terrible, but When I wind my window down the display gets brighter.

Maybe I would have asked for a lighter tint if I’d known. But I’d be guessing at what that value would be. I’m 35%.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2020, 07:17 AM   #30
Bris-M340i
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slideit View Post
Mine has dimming. Not terrible, but When I wind my window down the display gets brighter.

Maybe I would have asked for a lighter tint if I’d known. But I’d be guessing at what that value would be. I’m 35%.
Thanks for the heads up. What brand of tint did you go with?
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2020, 07:38 AM   #31
SteveAus
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: G20 M340iX

Garage List
I have 20% film on my rear window and have none of the problems outlined in this thread.
This is a very dark tint, and I have never seen multiple glares through the mirror.
I took my car to the dealer early this morning in almost 90% dark conditions and paid particular attention to what I saw in the mirror.........absolutely no glare, no multiple reflections.

I have used Elite in Adelaide for many years and their products and services have been exemplary. I have never, ever, had a problem.
It disappoints me that you guys in different locations around Australia have had these problems. I would have thought that with a bigger population, you guys would have had access to better services and products than we have in Adelaide, a large country town (as viewed by by most of the populous in the eastern states).
      06-24-2020, 07:44 AM   #32
SteveAus
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: G20 M340iX

Garage List
BTW. I have had four cars treated by Elite, and they have never disappointed.
Any of you guys in Adelaide who need to have paint protection and tinting done on your cars, these guys are superb!

Disclaimer: I am not paid by Elite to promote this company. The guys there are just excellent, and perform a superb job because they just LOVE cars.
      06-24-2020, 04:25 PM   #33
Slideit
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
My quote says “Hanita Ceramic Non-Reflective Window Tint. HP Pro Omega”
I couldn’t find an exact match when I did a search.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2020, 05:03 PM   #34
firetitanx
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
My quote says “Hanita Ceramic Non-Reflective Window Tint. HP Pro Omega”
I couldn’t find an exact match when I did a search.
Quote:
Quote:
My quote says "Hanita Ceramic Non-Reflective Window Tint. HP Pro Omega"
I couldn't find an exact match when I did a search.
Ah good it says non reflective Slideit😄👍
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2020, 05:10 PM   #35
firetitanx
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveAus View Post
I have 20% film on my rear window and have none of the problems outlined in this thread.
This is a very dark tint, and I have never seen multiple glares through the mirror.
I took my car to the dealer early this morning in almost 90% dark conditions and paid particular attention to what I saw in the mirror.........absolutely no glare, no multiple reflections.

I have used Elite in Adelaide for many years and their products and services have been exemplary. I have never, ever, had a problem.
It disappoints me that you guys in different locations around Australia have had these problems. I would have thought that with a bigger population, you guys would have had access to better services and products than we have in Adelaide, a large country town (as viewed by by most of the populous in the eastern states).
Quote:
Quote:
My quote says "Hanita Ceramic Non-Reflective Window Tint. HP Pro Omega"
I couldn't find an exact match when I did a search.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveAus View Post

That's great Steve 😄 yes not sure what happened all I can think of is maybe somebody switched the rear demister heater on by mistake straight after it got tinted and the heat maybe stuffed it up causing the glaring issues I have .
So maybe I am just plain unlucky!!

Anyway hope it looks ok without the tint
What I am peed off at is that the tinter said it's a known problem with our type of car ie heavy reflections

If they knew why don't they tell BMW so customers can make their own choice

I will be speaking to the dealer principal when I go to have the tint removed to voice my concerns , I don't think I can be the only one to have had this problem with my type of car
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2020, 06:05 PM   #36
NoSUV4Me
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G20 330i M Sport

I have MAXX35 (jcare) via dealer. Prior to this, Dark Knight (motorOne). Both seem fine and no nuisance refractn
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2020, 11:54 PM   #37
Bris-M340i
Private First Class
Rep

I've gone with the 3M carbon - 35% at the back and 50% at the front just to play it safe in the dimming issue. I pick up the car tomorrow and will let you know how I go.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2020, 03:23 AM   #38
Slideit
First Lieutenant
Rep

Ok, so I may have the same issue with reflection. I used a floodlight in the front-yard to test.I see a reflection on demister lines above and below the light. It doesn't show in this photo I took. But might be easier to photograph when it's a car's headlight.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-25-2020, 03:40 AM   #39
firetitanx
Lieutenant
Rep

Hi Slideit

Aaargh !!!

Sorry to hear mate, so the thing is , it depends on how bad it bugs you and how much of a night driving risk it is.

I know on a dark highway its really bad.
Getting rid of mine tomorrow.

I can't believe in this day and age with the tech we have now , this problem could exist
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2020, 04:21 AM   #40
Slideit
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Hi Slideit

Aaargh !!!

Sorry to hear mate, so the thing is , it depends on how bad it bugs you and how much of a night driving risk it is.

I know on a dark highway its really bad.
Getting rid of mine tomorrow.

I can't believe in this day and age with the tech we have now , this problem could exist
It’s a bit crazy, I agree. I guess I should do a proper night drive and see how I feel.
I’ll get in touch with my guy and see if he has any ideas.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2020, 04:23 PM   #41
vlo238
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i ,17 Impreza,16 Pulsar

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSUV4Me View Post
Quote:
So the dealer emailed the tinting place.

And they said apparently 3 series specifically reflect more light due to the angle of the rear window!!
They said its not a film type or brand issue.

So I went to another tinting place and he checked there was no issue with the installation , but he said the tint was highly reflective and thats why Im getting the glare.
He showed me other cars with other brands of tints and the reflection was pretty much zero, even though they were different cars.

So Im just going to have it removed, I cant have it compromise safety.
If I get the rear tinted by somebody else the colours of tint may not match up and that will be terrible.
So unless I remove all tinting from all windows and then go somewhere else and redo it all and pay for it again, seems I have very little choice.

Anyway I hope it looks ok ..aaargh

So BUYER BEWARE !!!!, make sure you check your rear windscreen at night for the terrible "Ladder Rung Glare"
Interesting... what sort of tint was applied?
@firetitanx - I got mine done at Wickedtint and their ceramic tint turned out okay
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2020, 06:23 PM   #42
Slideit
First Lieutenant
Rep

I just ran my finger on the inside of the rear glass, and I can feel the "bumps" of the demister wires. There is a small gap between the tint and the glass, running along each wire. I'm wondering if this is the cause of our problems, some of the film being lifted?

If so, the question is why some do and some don't have this problem?
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2020, 02:11 AM   #43
firetitanx
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I just ran my finger on the inside of the rear glass, and I can feel the "bumps" of the demister wires. There is a small gap between the tint and the glass, running along each wire. I'm wondering if this is the cause of our problems, some of the film being lifted?

Quote:

Hi Slideit I am very happy to report that after getting the rear tint removed which they did very carefully so no damage at all to the rear window demister elements
The view and clarity are superb !!
And very little colour variation between side windows and rear windows so that's excellent
In my opinion the rear window does not needed to be tinted at all
I can see the speaker reflections even more now hahah but what is different is that there is no glare at all I was driving through 6 kms of tunnel so I am sooooo happy
So now just need to stick the rear dashcam back, tried but for some reason I could not find the original position aargh and the sticky stuff is not sticky so going to go back to my dashcam guy and leave it to his professional hands
Problem solved just don't tint your rear window 😄👍 or if you have and have this issue just get it removed
I can sleep happy tonight , order has been restored in the universe
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-26-2020, 03:36 AM   #44
Slideit
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Hi Slideit I am very happy to report that after getting the rear tint removed which they did very carefully so no damage at all to the rear window demister elements
The view and clarity are superb !!
And very little colour variation between side windows and rear windows so that's excellent
In my opinion the rear window does not needed to be tinted at all
I can see the speaker reflections even more now hahah but what is different is that there is no glare at all I was driving through 6 kms of tunnel so I am sooooo happy
So now just need to stick the rear dashcam back, tried but for some reason I could not find the original position aargh and the sticky stuff is not sticky so going to go back to my dashcam guy and leave it to his professional hands
Problem solved just don't tint your rear window 😄👍 or if you have and have this issue just get it removed
I can sleep happy tonight , order has been restored in the universe
So glad you’re happy now!
I took mine out for a drive now that’s it’s dark outside. It definitely does the reflection thing, but maybe not as bad as your photo showed. In fact I couldn’t take a good photo showing the effect.
I started wondering if my old car did the same thing, but I just didn’t notice enough?
Appreciate 0