Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums AUSTRALIA Rear window tinting causes light refraction issues

06-26-2020, 04:24 AM   #45
firetitanx
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i M Sport 2020(G20)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slideit View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by firetitanx View Post
Hi Slideit I am very happy to report that after getting the rear tint removed which they did very carefully so no damage at all to the rear window demister elements
The view and clarity are superb !!
And very little colour variation between side windows and rear windows so that's excellent
In my opinion the rear window does not needed to be tinted at all
I can see the speaker reflections even more now hahah but what is different is that there is no glare at all I was driving through 6 kms of tunnel so I am sooooo happy
So now just need to stick the rear dashcam back, tried but for some reason I could not find the original position aargh and the sticky stuff is not sticky so going to go back to my dashcam guy and leave it to his professional hands
Problem solved just don't tint your rear window 😄👍 or if you have and have this issue just get it removed
I can sleep happy tonight , order has been restored in the universe
So glad you're happy now!
I took mine out for a drive now that's it's dark outside. It definitely does the reflection thing, but maybe not as bad as your photo showed. In fact I couldn't take a good photo showing the effect.
I started wondering if my old car did the same thing, but I just didn't notice enough?
Quote:
Quote:
Hi Slideit I am very happy to report that after getting the rear tint removed which they did very carefully so no damage at all to the rear window demister elements
The view and clarity are superb !!
And very little colour variation between side windows and rear windows so that's excellent
In my opinion the rear window does not needed to be tinted at all
I can see the speaker reflections even more now hahah but what is different is that there is no glare at all I was driving through 6 kms of tunnel so I am sooooo happy
So now just need to stick the rear dashcam back, tried but for some reason I could not find the original position aargh and the sticky stuff is not sticky so going to go back to my dashcam guy and leave it to his professional hands
Problem solved just don't tint your rear window 😄👍 or if you have and have this issue just get it removed
I can sleep happy tonight , order has been restored in the universe
So glad you're happy now!
I took mine out for a drive now that's it's dark outside. It definitely does the reflection thing, but maybe not as bad as your photo showed. In fact I couldn't take a good photo showing the effect.
I started wondering if my old car did the same thing, but I just didn't notice enough?
Just had a night drive and parked in the parking lot ok I admit it does not look so stealth cool anymore , but I would rather have night visibility which may save my life than the looks
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-26-2020, 04:39 AM   #46
Slideit
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 330e

Quote:
Just had a night drive and parked in the parking lot ok I admit it does not look so stealth cool anymore , but I would rather have night visibility which may save my life than the looks
My guy got back to me say the tint people say it’s the defrost lines, and the tint might just make it a bit worse.
A google search seems to show it’s a common problem. Many types of cars and tints.
Not sure if I want to take it off or not. Not as bad as yours, may e I’ll get used to it, and most of my driving in during the day.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2020, 05:05 AM   #47
Slideit
First Lieutenant
Rep

This is an example of mine:
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-26-2020, 05:37 AM   #48
firetitanx
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
This is an example of mine:
Aaargh, thats the same as mine dude !!!

If you take it off, the clarity is astonishing, I am really happy I did.
You may want to give it some serious consideration, as the longer you leave it the more chance it may harden on those demister lines and then
if you decide to remove it , the demister lines may go with it.

Then I am assuming its a new rear windscreen ....aargh

The tinter told me he has had cases where its come off.

So my thinking was the sooner I do it while its fresh , the less chance of that occurring.

I don't really want to compromise my night driving experience , its such a lovely car.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2020, 06:18 AM   #49
firetitanx
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlo238 View Post
@firetitanx - I got mine done at Wickedtint and their ceramic tint turned out okay
Ah thanks vlo238 , I guess I may have to take your lead once more and go there
Now that my rear tint is off I will drive it a bit and see how I feel.
At the moment i am just happy to drive at night and be able to see clearly.
Rear tint does make the car look more mysterious and stealthy though , it is a nice look.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2020, 06:22 AM   #50
Slideit
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Aaargh, thats the same as mine dude !!!

If you take it off, the clarity is astonishing, I am really happy I did.
You may want to give it some serious consideration, as the longer you leave it the more chance it may harden on those demister lines and then
if you decide to remove it , the demister lines may go with it.

Then I am assuming its a new rear windscreen ....aargh

The tinter told me he has had cases where its come off.

So my thinking was the sooner I do it while its fresh , the less chance of that occurring.

I don't really want to compromise my night driving experience , its such a lovely car.
Are there any others here who have the same problem, or just us?
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2020, 07:00 AM   #51
Bris-M340i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i

Okay, I picked up my car today. I got the 3M 50% front 35% rear. First things first, as far as the dimming is concerned, I do see slight dimming but not enough to be a problem. Tonight I took the car for a drive to see if I have the same reflection issues. I must say I do have a slight problem but not enough to concern me or consider it dangerous. I’m not sure if it will improve given it has only just been applied but either way I’m okay with how it is. Seems like it not as bad as you guys have experienced.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2020, 07:11 AM   #52
Slideit
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bris-M340i View Post
Okay, I picked up my car today. I got the 3M 50% front 35% rear. First things first, as far as the dimming is concerned, I do see slight dimming but not enough to be a problem. Tonight I took the car for a drive to see if I have the same reflection issues. I must say I do have a slight problem but not enough to concern me or consider it dangerous. I’m not sure if it will improve given it has only just been applied but either way I’m okay with how it is. Seems like it not as bad as you guys have experienced.
From my reading everyone gets this lensing effect to some degree. Thickness of the wires, thickness of the film and angle of the window all have an impact. So between us it’s only the material of the film that is variable. Hopefully your will improve a little more with more drying and you have to worry about it!
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2020, 07:30 AM   #53
Bris-M340i
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
From my reading everyone gets this lensing effect to some degree. Thickness of the wires, thickness of the film and angle of the window all have an impact. So between us it’s only the material of the film that is variable. Hopefully your will improve a little more with more drying and you have to worry about it!
I think you are right
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2020, 07:15 PM   #54
vlo238
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i ,17 Impreza,16 Pulsar

Quote:
Quote:
@firetitanx - I got mine done at Wickedtint and their ceramic tint turned out okay
Ah thanks vlo238 , I guess I may have to take your lead once more and go there
Now that my rear tint is off I will drive it a bit and see how I feel.
At the moment i am just happy to drive at night and be able to see clearly.
Rear tint does make the car look more mysterious and stealthy though , it is a nice look.
Haha firetitanx , I will see but honestly I haven't really noticed it when driving at night, so I guess mine is fine but when I drive tonight I will report back
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2020, 01:36 AM   #55
firetitanx
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Haha firetitanx , I will see but honestly I haven't really noticed it when driving at night, so I guess mine is fine but when I drive tonight I will report back
Ah no worries vlo238, just came back from your buds MC Security, stellar service from Jamie , they repositioned the cable for my rear dashcam and re-attached it, so 100% all good to go !!
Yes would be good to hear if you have any issues, then if not later I can take a leap of faith and get back on the tinting bandwagon
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2020, 03:33 AM   #56
vlo238
Private
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Ah no worries vlo238, just came back from your buds MC Security, stellar service from Jamie , they repositioned the cable for my rear dashcam and re-attached it, so 100% all good to go !!
Yes would be good to hear if you have any issues, then if not later I can take a leap of faith and get back on the tinting bandwagon
@firetitanx I notice a little of the the glare but honestly it was not too much of a concern until you guys brought to my attention haha this is the photo from the back seat
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-27-2020, 04:51 AM   #57
firetitanx
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
@firetitanx I notice a little of the the glare but honestly it was not too much of a concern until you guys brought to my attention haha this is the photo from the back seat
Wow ok you are lucky then, what about when a car is behind you at night with headlights shining , what do you see , do the headlights stay in a circular shape or does it glare vertically like the shape of a ladder without the sides.

Does it look like Slideit's photo?
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2020, 05:54 AM   #58
Bris-M340i
Private First Class
Rep

I checked our Subaru Outback tonight which also had a window tint recently. It also has slight issue with refraction but I had never noticed. It’s not quite as bad as the BMW and it’s a different brand of tint altogether. I think all cars will suffer to varying degrees. One thing that I noticed that makes the BMW worse is the fact the demister lines are much thicker and there are more of them.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2020, 06:14 AM   #59
Slideit
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I checked our Subaru Outback tonight which also had a window tint recently. It also has slight issue with refraction but I had never noticed. It’s not quite as bad as the BMW and it’s a different brand of tint altogether. I think all cars will suffer to varying degrees. One thing that I noticed that makes the BMW worse is the fact the demister lines are much thicker and there are more of them.
We have an Outback too, with tint from the dealer. I was planning to go out and check it out, but time got away from me, and now it’s too cold. Maybe morrow night I’ll try to report back.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2020, 06:41 AM   #60
firetitanx
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I checked our Subaru Outback tonight which also had a window tint recently. It also has slight issue with refraction but I had never noticed. It's not quite as bad as the BMW and it's a different brand of tint altogether. I think all cars will suffer to varying degrees. One thing that I noticed that makes the BMW worse is the fact the demister lines are much thicker and there are more of them.
Yup lots of closely spaced demister lines on the Beemer which makes it worse
Interesting findings
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2020, 04:52 PM   #61
vlo238
Private
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Wow ok you are lucky then, what about when a car is behind you at night with headlights shining , what do you see , do the headlights stay in a circular shape or does it glare vertically like the shape of a ladder without the sides.

@firetitanx - it does a little bit not too concerning until you guy brought to my attention and I had it for over a month and a bit now.. note my tint maybe a darker than slideit so less glare I guess
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2020, 06:46 PM   #62
firetitanx
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

@firetitanx - it does a little bit not too concerning until you guy brought to my attention and I had it for over a month and a bit now.. note my tint maybe a darker than slideit so less glare I guess
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Hahah.. yes it's funny when somebody brings to your attention something you never noticed it becomes noticeable ...aargh
Ok no worries thanks for checking so your rear tint is 35%?
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2020, 02:11 AM   #63
Slideit
First Lieutenant
Rep

Tomorrow the installer will come over and "do some tests" on the tint. He says he wants to determine if the problem is with the car or the tint. Think demister lines could be the issue.
So with a bit of luck I'll have some useful info to share soon.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2020, 03:20 AM   #64
firetitanx
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Tomorrow the installer will come over and "do some tests" on the tint. He says he wants to determine if the problem is with the car or the tint. Think demister lines could be the issue.
Mate as they say "May the FORCE be with you
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2020, 04:09 AM   #65
Bris-M340i
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Look forward to hearing the outcome.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2020, 08:09 AM   #66
Slideit
First Lieutenant
Rep

Here's how my 330e and our Outback compare, using a torch on a chair:
Attached Images

Appreciate 0