Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions BMW Today - THE 4: Live Q&A with Exterior Designer Christopher Weil

07-13-2020, 07:02 PM   #67
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopJimmy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoenG View Post
Quote:
He shoulda said..."I'm the guy who's going to get the blame and fired over that stupid grill."

The only positive point I heard was that this is for the 4 to differentiate...so hopefully the new M3 won't get the new Water Buffalo Nose.
First statement will soon proof to hold truth! The second not. It's not because BMW says Sakhir orange is a unique color to M, or BMW will never produce FWD, or M will never be AT, or diesel will never wear M, that there is a grain of truth in it.
Yeah, the dream is over. This seems to be the new M3...with the big nose too.
That photo is nearly a year old dude. There are far more recent photos.

Here you go since you're forum browsing skills are rudimentary at best.

Spied: G8X M3 and M4 Drop Some Camo, Giving First Uncovered Look at M3 Grille https://g20.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1736877
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2020, 07:06 PM   #68
TopJimmy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoenG View Post
Quote:
He shoulda said..."I'm the guy who's going to get the blame and fired over that stupid grill."

The only positive point I heard was that this is for the 4 to differentiate...so hopefully the new M3 won't get the new Water Buffalo Nose.
First statement will soon proof to hold truth! The second not. It's not because BMW says Sakhir orange is a unique color to M, or BMW will never produce FWD, or M will never be AT, or diesel will never wear M, that there is a grain of truth in it.
Yeah, the dream is over. This seems to be the new M3...with the big nose too.
That photo is nearly a year old dude. There are far more recent photos.
And they all suck IMO.
I didn't want to hurt my eyes and keep looking.
      07-13-2020, 07:47 PM   #69
Audio Fan
Major
Rep
Drives: AY - M4

I'm with the designer, I think the car needs to be seen in person. I also think the video for the thread shows how much more character this car will have over prior 3/4 series coupes. The more I see, the more I think I will like it. If the base car is this rowdy, the M3/4 may be awesome. Have faith guys. The designer said multiple times that you need to see the car in person. The forum and media folks that have seen the car in person, at worst, have said he grills were big, but would likely grow on them. I haven't heard any of the people who've seen the car say it's the abomination that the naysayers are naysaying.
Appreciate 4
Sedan_Clan25022.00
solstice5456.50
MPSdriver192.00
JustChris17485.50
      07-13-2020, 10:46 PM   #70
Darth One
drunk poster
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS | E46 M3

I didn't bother watching the video...just eagerly started scrolling through the thread to read all the hatred
Appreciate 1
      07-14-2020, 12:07 AM   #71
emre
First Lieutenant
Turkey
Rep
Drives: G30 540i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by solstice View Post
Is the G22 on display at the Welt and is the Welt open? It would be great to have a bimmerpost member or two from Munich heading over there and let us know what they think after seeing it IRL.
Not the G22 but I saw the concept IRL in Frankfurt and it looked a lot better than photos or videos.

I still thought it would have been a much nicer car with a different grille though.

G30 540i xDrive M Sport MPPSK / BM3
Appreciate 1
solstice5456.50
      07-14-2020, 02:06 AM   #72
Tallest
Major General
Rep
Drives: 911

Garage List
2011 911  [10.00]
reading about this 4 series is equivalent of hate watching some stupid tv show. I always thought I have an alright taste and could distinguish well between just people hating change and people who genuinely hate the exact design. And it is easy to confuse the two. Not here. I have not found anyone who likes it. Even car journalists who are PAID to like cars dont like it.

Of course it means they by now so so so hate it, that once it comes in metal theyll do review and say stuff "in person, its actually not that bad". Yeah, nice endorsement for a mass market product in a competitive market. I think BMW cant afford to make crap like this for too long. They need a guy from up above step in and tell designer to redo the front. Rest of car looks great. But front counts for 80% of the design, sorry to say. So my final judgement is to see it in person.

I gotta say also my good old F30 has aged beautifully, just as well as E90s have aged (with few tiny mods). G20 has a strange face, and so does this car. Feels like I was on board with chiseled sharp looking car, not the bloated ones now. I know BMW is a slave to crap regulations but some car companies seem to navigate things way better. LIke Mercedes or Audi.

BMW always seem to have a too small frame with wheels versus the body that goes onto it. The wheels look undersized. The overhangs too long. I look at Porsche and their car design is on fire, down to these massive Cayennes, never mind the sleek Targas or Taycans or what have you.
      07-14-2020, 02:06 AM   #73
V-Eight
Captain
Rep
Drives: MY22 M3 G80 Comp.Xdrive

We have to see it into reality.

To be honest, the new grille doesn't convince me, but it's not "ugly", it's different from what we are used to see on a BMW. Give time to time.

A part this, I've always bought cars for their tech specs, and secondly for their style. That's why I bought the M140i instead buying an RS3 or an A45.

The new M3 will be unique in it's class; a class in which the only credible alternative is the Giulia Q. So, I think I would go over the "strange front" having back a great driver's car.

Real cars are dying out.....remember this fact, do not judge it until you've seen it for real.

If you look at the official photos of the M140i, they all don't give any idea of the peace of keen you see into reality. So, just wait few weeks to se the G22 at your showroom, then we will judge.

To me, at the beginning I said "what a mess, what an awful design". Now after few weeks, I changed into a "I don't like now, but it's not as ugly as I sad before", i repat, it's different to what we're used to, that's for sure. But it doesn't means that it's ugly for real.
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan25022.00
      07-14-2020, 07:17 AM   #74
VetteGuy
Captain
Rep
Drives: Arctic Race Blue M440iX

You hit the nail on the head... It's not ugly (certainly no uglier than Audi, Lexus, Guilia, or even some other current BMWs), its just different than what we are used to seeing on a BMW.
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan25022.00
      07-14-2020, 08:14 AM   #75
Frosty
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M240i - 2021 - 6MT -

...I'm completely bewildered how these two cars grills can be compared in any way relative to the cars they are on.. height to width ratio seems such a stretch to shoehorn comparison, no?
Prelude (5MT) (1995)
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2020, 08:14 AM   #76
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

Taste is very personal. For those who like the new grills, buy the cars; for those (like me) who don't like the new grills, buy something else (as I will unless BMW changes direction). But it is time to stop praising and complaining.
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan25022.00
      07-14-2020, 08:17 AM   #77
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-Eight View Post
We have to see it into reality.

To be honest, the new grille doesn't convince me, but it's not "ugly", it's different from what we are used to see on a BMW. Give time to time.

A part this, I've always bought cars for their tech specs, and secondly for their style. That's why I bought the M140i instead buying an RS3 or an A45.

The new M3 will be unique in it's class; a class in which the only credible alternative is the Giulia Q. So, I think I would go over the "strange front" having back a great driver's car.

Real cars are dying out.....remember this fact, do not judge it until you've seen it for real.

If you look at the official photos of the M140i, they all don't give any idea of the peace of keen you see into reality. So, just wait few weeks to se the G22 at your showroom, then we will judge.

To me, at the beginning I said "what a mess, what an awful design". Now after few weeks, I changed into a "I don't like now, but it's not as ugly as I sad before", i repat, it's different to what we're used to, that's for sure. But it doesn't means that it's ugly for real.
What about the Mercedes C class 63 AMG? That is a pretty credible alterntaive.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2020, 11:50 AM   #78
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frosty View Post
...I'm completely bewildered how these two cars grills can be compared in any way relative to the cars they are on.. height to width ratio seems such a stretch to shoehorn comparison, no?
You have identified my major problem. it is the height to width ratio. Until the new Edsel, bugs bunny grills BMWs looked wide and mean; these fat vertical grills destroy that view.

But, again, that is for me. I am sure there will be others who will like and buy them.
Appreciate 1
Frosty779.00
      07-14-2020, 09:35 PM   #79
apirumann
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2011 E93 335i, 99 E46 323i

Are these people who are defending this design going to get a special discount at the checkout or something?
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2020, 10:04 PM   #80
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by apirumann View Post
Are these people who are defending this design going to get a special discount at the checkout or something?
I think one man's ugly is another man's attractive. There are a lot of ugly wives out there, but their husband's consider them attractive. Beauty is in the eye.....
Appreciate 1
KoenG1428.50
      07-15-2020, 03:36 AM   #81
en1gma
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G03 X3

There's also something about the hips that are bugging me... not sure exactly what, but even in this video they make the rear wheels look small (to my eyes).
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2020, 04:51 AM   #82
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by en1gma View Post
There's also something about the hips that are bugging me... not sure exactly what, but even in this video they make the rear wheels look small (to my eyes).
The wheels being black doesn't help.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2020, 05:56 AM   #83
02M3ForMe
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

I think the front is fine. It’ll sell.

I’m far more concerned about what happened to the signature kink. Combined with the lowered side character line, there are no real differentiators between this and an Infiniti coupe.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2020, 05:57 AM   #84
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02M3ForMe View Post
I think the front is fine. It'll sell.

I'm far more concerned about what happened to the signature kink. Combined with the lowered side character line, there are no real differentiators between this and an Infiniti coupe.
That was explained in the video. They changed the kink because of the lines of the new car. It does flow better the way they designed it.
Appreciate 1
solstice5456.50
      07-15-2020, 12:52 PM   #85
solstice
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 6MT

Quote:
That was explained in the video. They changed the kink because of the lines of the new car. It does flow better the way they designed it.
Yes and rightly so, when a design feature is becoming an obstacle for the optimal design it has overstayed it’s welcome. As a designer you shouldn’t feel that you need to design a car for the future around a design feature from the 60s. It takes guts to do but good on him to stick to his guns and manage to get it approved.
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan25022.00
      07-15-2020, 12:55 PM   #86
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by solstice View Post
Quote:
Yes and rightly so, when a design feature is becoming an obstacle for the optimal design it has overstayed it’s welcome. As a designer you shouldn’t feel that you need to design a car for the future around a design feature from the 60s. It takes guts to do but good on him to stick to his guns and manage to get it approved.
Agreed! People get hung up on stuff and it gets in the way of ushering in new design elements. I'm glad BMW, or any manufacturer for that matter, ignores some complaints because had they listened, we wouldn't have been graced with the E36, E46, E9X, etc.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2020, 01:03 PM   #87
NorCalAthlete
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '23 M4CX - Tanzanite / Tartufo

"They don't listen to us enthusiasts!"

Well, they did change out the steering from the Fxx to the Gxx...that's something, no? Remember all the complaints about steering for the shift from the Exx to the Fxx?
Appreciate 2
Sedan_Clan25022.00
solstice5456.50
      07-15-2020, 01:07 PM   #88
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalAthlete View Post
"They don't listen to us enthusiasts!"

Well, they did change out the steering from the Fxx to the Gxx...that's something, no? Remember all the complaints about steering for the shift from the Exx to the Fxx?
I think they also listened with regards to an AWD M3/M4. When the GTR first came out and started spanking everybody, the desire for an AWD ///M was voiced. They also continue to bring us 6MT's. It also looks like ICON's and laser lights might be standard. All good things.
Appreciate 1
solstice5456.50