Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Technical Topics Suspension / Chassis / Brakes Tools needed to change brake pad and rotors

10-17-2021, 11:40 AM   #1
Wang594
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i

Tools needed to change brake pad and rotors

Hello,

Just wanna know what set of tools I might need to change pads and rotors on my car(G20 330i)? what sized sockets do I need? what problems might I run into? Some advice would be helpful.

Best
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2021, 02:23 PM   #2
Bc2005
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i

If it’s like my F30 brakes were, you need very few special tools.

IIRC, the caliper pins use a bolt head with an 8mm Allen wrench/hex fitting and the rotor is held on with one 6mm hex head screw. You also need a 17mm or 18mm socket to remove the bolts that hold the caliper on the hub. You will also want a large c-clamp (about a 5” opening?) to compress the pistons so that the new pads will fit.

Rear pads are a little more complicated if you also adjust the emergency brake, as recommended. The emergency brake uses a standard star wheel adjuster, but it’s a PIA to see and adjust behind the rear discs. You are also supposed to disconnect the cable in the console so that all tension is removed, but I would just give each side a couple of clicks and see how it works. A little loose (takes more clicks to set the brake) is better than getting it too tight, since it has no effect on normal braking.
Appreciate 0