Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Technical Topics B48 4-Cylinder Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications new carbon fibre cold air intake

04-28-2020, 02:47 AM   #23
Don76
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 320i M-Sport

So they were happy to change the inlet pipe but not the filter!? Wow, that's a strange decision.

Many thanks for the update. Interested to know how it sounds once the filter has been swapped
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2020, 08:01 AM   #24
Misko_Hryzko
Rep
Drives: BMW 320i (G20)

Garage List
2020 BMW 320i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don76 View Post
So they were happy to change the inlet pipe but not the filter!? Wow, that's a strange decision.

Many thanks for the update. Interested to know how it sounds once the filter has been swapped
Yes, because pipe is not changing functionality of the intake. With sport filter there is a risk of the hydrolock (filter is exposed from the bottom). They were nice and asking me when I'll do the straight pipe behind OPF filter
So when stationary there is barely any difference. When crusing the sound is more aggresive than carbon Armaspeed. It can scare some people
I'll think how to upload video, never done it before.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Don76169.00
      04-28-2020, 11:43 AM   #25
Don76
Second Lieutenant
Rep

What filter did you use?
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2020, 11:57 AM   #26
Misko_Hryzko
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW 320i  [0.00]
Quote:
What filter did you use?
MST set:
https://www.mst-performance.com/products/bw-b4802

I think 330i is having bigger turbo and therefore can make more sounds. My 320i changed character significantly. From silent electric car to turbo powered one I need stage 1 upgrade to benefit from cold intake.
Appreciate 1
VipinLJ1936.50
      04-28-2020, 12:00 PM   #27
Don76
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misko_Hryzko View Post
Quote:
What filter did you use?
MST set:
https://www.mst-performance.com/products/bw-b4802

I think 330i is having bigger turbo and therefore can make more sounds. My 320i changed character significantly. From silent electric car to turbo powered one I need stage 1 upgrade to benefit from cold intake.
Thanks for the info. I too have the 320i but I'm based in the UK and cannot find a source for MST products (our distributor here has no stock)

Hopefully you can send a video so we can hear the sounds
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2020, 02:53 AM   #28
Misko_Hryzko
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW 320i  [0.00]
I've created Instagram account because of it. It feels strange
"misko_hryzko"
Appreciate 1
Don76169.00
      04-29-2020, 03:44 PM   #29
Misko_Hryzko
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW 320i  [0.00]
I had a feeling that turbo is struggeling to keep breathe in higher rpms and I heard strange sound like air leak. I've just dismantled intake pipe and realized BMW "expert" did not install original O ring from stock pipe so the air was really leaking. I've fixed it and now the sound is a bit more settled and it moved towards the front of the car where the filter is located. No more strange noises. I have feeling my BMW mechanics will not realize even more serious upgrades to the car.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
VipinLJ1936.50
      05-05-2020, 11:22 AM   #30
Felipe Sena
Brazil
Rep
Drives: 2019 330i M Sport (G20)

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Wiggum View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felipe Sena View Post
Quote:
Sounds pretty good, but goodgooglymoogly that intake is expensive. Did you pay full price or get a discount on it?
Got it on a really early stage, right after it was launched. So Arma Speed contacted me and, as I was one of the first G20s on Insta, I was sponsored by them. Even so, I think it´s worth the price!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felipe Sena View Post
Quote:
Sounds pretty good, but goodgooglymoogly that intake is expensive. Did you pay full price or get a discount on it?
Got it on a really early stage, right after it was launched. So Arma Speed contacted me and, as I was one of the first G20s on Insta, I was sponsored by them. Even so, I think it´s worth the price!

Can you provide us with an update on how the car is running and impressions after four months?
It's been in the car for 8 months now, and over 5.000Km (3.000mi) of city, highway and countryside B-Roads driving.
Runs like it should, no issues at all. Car has been serviced once after the intake was installed and BMW Warranty is still applied.
My product was one of the first to be installed in a costumers car, and it has no rattles, no breaks/cracks, sounds great and delivers the same performance as always did. It's a really high quality product.
Im also running a JB4 (low boost map, for now) and it seems like a perfect combination.
Guys at Arma Speed told me that their air filter should be cleaned and serviced every 10-20k kms, but I think I'll do it a bit sooner, anytime in the next month or two.
I can't think of much else since it's been running pretty seamlessly but if you have any further doubts feel free to ask!
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2020, 07:57 PM   #31
Ghozthunter
Eleet Tech
United_States
Rep
Drives: a bimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misko_Hryzko View Post
I had a feeling that turbo is struggeling to keep breathe in higher rpms and I heard strange sound like air leak. I've just dismantled intake pipe and realized BMW "expert" did not install original O ring from stock pipe so the air was really leaking. I've fixed it and now the sound is a bit more settled and it moved towards the front of the car where the filter is located. No more strange noises. I have feeling my BMW mechanics will not realize even more serious upgrades to the car.
I just installed the mst full cold air kit. Can you describe how the air leak sounded? I made sure to install the o ring but am not quiet sure if I installed the c clamp correctly. Does yours have play around the inlet for the turbo? I can move mine freely with no problem, even with the c clamp. The clamp locks in but there is a gap in between the turbo and the inlet for the hose. Not sure if thats correct.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2020, 08:22 PM   #32
VipinLJ
Petrolhead
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘20 330i,‘16 X3,‘18 SQ5,‘17 A7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghozthunter View Post
I just installed the mst full cold air kit. Can you describe how the air leak sounded? I made sure to install the o ring but am not quiet sure if I installed the c clamp correctly. Does yours have play around the inlet for the turbo? I can move mine freely with no problem, even with the c clamp. The clamp locks in but there is a gap in between the turbo and the inlet for the hose. Not sure if thats correct.
I've only done an intake install in my A4 B9 and there, everything was tight and couldn't be moved around at all. No gaps. Nothing. I'm assuming that's how it should be for all cars? Do you remember if the stock pipe moved around like the one you've installed now?
2017 Audi A7 Prestige
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2020, 08:47 PM   #33
Ghozthunter
Eleet Tech
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VipinLJ View Post
I've only done an intake install in my A4 B9 and there, everything was tight and couldn't be moved around at all. No gaps. Nothing. I'm assuming that's how it should be for all cars? Do you remember if the stock pipe moved around like the one you've installed now?
I didn't notice honestly, but I was thinking of installing the OEM again to see. To me something doesn't seem right about the fitting that goes over the turbo.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2020, 09:35 PM   #34
Misko_Hryzko
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW 320i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghozthunter View Post
Mine is also able to move a little bit with C clamp installed. Rubber O ring is filling that gap. Sound leak was noticeable in higher rpm under heavy load. It was not constant air flow with random power drop. Now I still hear the air being sucked what is normal with cold air intake but it is constant without any power interruptions.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2020, 11:55 PM   #35
Ghozthunter
Eleet Tech
United_States
Rep

Feel bad for thread high jacking the original poster.

Here are some pics I took. Really hard to tell gap between the turbo and the inlet hose.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-30-2020, 12:23 AM   #36
shadowg20
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 330

Having trouble getting the silence box and pipe off. Any tips for removing the two lines connected to the pipe?
Appreciate 0