Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums UK New BMW designs are dire

05-28-2019, 01:43 AM   #1
cc3
Major
Rep
Drives: 1M, GT4, M2 M140i G40

New BMW designs are dire

What is going wrong at BMW?

The new design language is just terrible.

New 7 series - a luxury model with a massive oversize grill that is a joke
X7 - wow that's grim certainly no looker
New 1 series- stupid grill and overall design is so bland it could be a Ford of any Far East hatch.
New 1 series M performance parts. Wow how to make a bland car look even worse. Trying to be a Civic R ?
New 3 series. It's ok but that just about sums it up nothing really interesting in its design

Thought the Bangle years were bad but this is worse. How to destroy value in your Company

I'm looking elsewhere for my next purchase
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2019, 02:08 PM   #2
Xsapper
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G20 330i M Sport

Garage List
Well I am really pleased with my 330i. This is my 7th BMW in a row and I think its a step up in a lot of areas from my F30. Not perfect by any means but many positives over the previous 3 series. I am not sure I have ever owned a perfect BMW but they tend to grow on me. At first I didn't like the new grille but after 3 weeks I do not mind it at all. The power is down on my 335D but its a totally different car. Why compare apples with oranges? Accept what's available and make your choice. I for one think it looks great !!

Appreciate 6
73henny500.00
themnmd1687.00
Ikester192120.50
willjames708.00
      06-21-2019, 04:03 PM   #3
ZeroFx
Major
Rep
Drives: M4x

It cant get any uglier than the e90. That grille will have to be sorted though at some point. Im betting the 4 series gets a different grille
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2019, 11:31 AM   #4
Carjack
Stormtrooper
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330i G20 M-Sport Portimao Blue

After an E90 and a F30 I think my G20 330i is a great design.
I cannot now think of one real aspect to criticise.
The fuel consumption is better than I thought it would be, which for general short and longish journeys is important.
Before owning I was apprehensive of the digital speedo & rev counter display but now realise it is big move on from before.
The other doubt I had was the gloss black grill which I was determined to eventually change for chrome. But since, I now rather like as it sets the car off from all others. It’s nice to be different!
Am sure there are a few cars that could better it in one or two areas but as an all round excellent family four door car in one package, again which is important, it is a remarkable car!
Appreciate 2
      06-27-2019, 02:35 AM   #5
simnew
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i GranCoupe MSport

I was comparing my 440 GC to a new 330i MSport in a car park the other day and I still think the grill looks awful on the G20. At least on the X cars it has more definition and the chrome verticals create a more 3D shape. I notice that the touring was launched with pictures of a chrome grill with chrome vertical slats and that looks so much better. In the past, the chrome grilled BMW was the top line models and the black grilled models were the 4 cylinder cooking models.

The G20 black grill looks like it has been melted and flattened and smeared onto the front of the car. The Hoffmeister kink is very clumsy too. Audi would never have allowed something so poorly formed to be placed on their cars.

The very flat sides don't look that good either unless the sun is really catching the creases so that you scan really see them and the way the door handle indents are 50 percent bigger than the F series cars looks awful clumsy detailing again.

I really hope they improve things for the 4 series and of LCI as I think this car is worse in the looks department compared to the slightly fragile looking F series. The 4 series was a noticeable improvement on the F30 so let's hope they can perform the same trick again..

I am sure technically and in all other ways the car is a good improvement, but I tend to buy my car mostly on if I desire the car and at the moment I am not seeing anything to make me change.
Appreciate 0