Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums UK G20 Saloon Roof bars

06-24-2019, 05:11 AM   #1
Thompjas
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G20 320d Sport

G20 Saloon Roof bars

Luckily I kept my old f30's roof bars in the hope that they would fit the new G20 - I can confirm that the fitting bit for my CRUZ (hopefully I remembered the make correctly !) roof bars are an exact fit still with the same spacing across the car's width and the right angle of dangle ont he pads/plates.

BUT.....

The captive socket on the roof that was a standard M6 on the F30 is no longer - M6 is too small for the G20 and an M8 Bolt is too big... therefore could it be a M7?? I cannot see that it would be an imperial fitment now....

Has anyone purchased an official BMW set of roof bars to confirm the size of the bolts??

Previous New Car - X1 Sdrive M Sport - returned it - hated it

Old Car - F30 320d ED in Mineral White
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2019, 08:16 AM   #2
lukas125
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thompjas View Post
Luckily I kept my old f30's roof bars in the hope that they would fit the new G20 - I can confirm that the fitting bit for my CRUZ (hopefully I remembered the make correctly !) roof bars are an exact fit still with the same spacing across the car's width and the right angle of dangle ont he pads/plates.

BUT.....

The captive socket on the roof that was a standard M6 on the F30 is no longer - M6 is too small for the G20 and an M8 Bolt is too big... therefore could it be a M7?? I cannot see that it would be an imperial fitment now....

Has anyone purchased an official BMW set of roof bars to confirm the size of the bolts??
Did you by any chance find anything that works? I've just checked the Thule website and they don't have any matching products. Going on holiday next month and really need the roof box.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2019, 09:02 AM   #3
tricky6
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G20 330e M Sport+

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukas125 View Post
Did you by any chance find anything that works? I've just checked the Thule website and they don't have any matching products. Going on holiday next month and really need the roof box.
There was an offer from Halfords I saw last week that had bars, 460ltr box and fitting for just under £400. Enter your reg. number and it shows the options suitable.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2019, 03:58 AM   #4
Thompjas
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G20 320d Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukas125 View Post
not yet, been without the G20 for 2 weeks as the clutch pedal assembly broke. I hope to borrow a mates tap and die set that hopefully has an m7 tap - this will confirm (or deny) what I need to order - there are not many M7 bolts to choose from

Previous New Car - X1 Sdrive M Sport - returned it - hated it

Old Car - F30 320d ED in Mineral White

Last edited by Thompjas; 07-15-2019 at 04:05 AM..
Appreciate 1
      07-15-2019, 04:21 AM   #5
snusnu
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 330e (g20)

Quote:
not yet, been without the G20 for 2 weeks as the clutch pedal assembly broke. I hope to borrow a mates tap and die set that hopefully has an m7 tap - this will confirm (or deny) what I need to order - there are not many M7 bolts to choose from
that's why you go with automatic gearbox

additionally - imagine - coffee mug in one hand, sandwich in another - in the traffic... or doing 70+ on M1
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2021, 09:11 PM   #6
Curtiswg
Rep
Drives: 2019 330i X drive

Quote:
I’m in the same position. Have bars with and M6 that need an M7 to fit my G20.

Any help would be appreciated, as I cant find OEM M7 bolts (that work with the original tool) anywhere...
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2021, 02:02 PM   #7
M4dski11z
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M440i

Watching this thread as I have a set of F30 and F32 bars which I’m hoping at least one set will fit my G22
Appreciate 0