Bimmerpost
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Technical Topics B58 6-Cylinder Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications Performance mods? B58 mods fit?

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      06-05-2019, 09:04 AM   #1
bimmer813
Private First Class
42
Rep
154
Posts

Drives: M235i -> M340i
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Tampa, FL

iTrader: (0)

Performance mods? B58 mods fit?

I know a couple companies have picked of M340i test cars to develop new products for our cars.

I'm sure with some software editing BootMod and JB4 will work with the M340i, but what about hardware?

At least from my experience with an N55, a downpipe provided great power and subsequently a charge pipe was a good idea.

Has anyone heard anything?

Last edited by bimmer813; 06-09-2019 at 09:29 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2019, 07:28 AM   #2
Stiunit
Private
Stiunit's Avatar
11
Rep
64
Posts

Drives: 2020 M340I
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: San Diego

iTrader: (0)

i am hoping to add a tune + downpipe down line line hopefully
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2019, 08:08 PM   #3
goj
Brigadier General
goj's Avatar
United_States
2184
Rep
3,612
Posts

Drives: 2016 EBII 340i 6-MT
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Bay Area, CA

iTrader: (0)

Charge pipe is not needed on B58 like it was n55
__________________
BMW CCA Member #516012
2016 340i, Estoril Blue, Manual Transmission, MPE, APEX EC-7
Instagram: @brandonsclean3
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2019, 09:36 AM   #4
bimmer813
Private First Class
42
Rep
154
Posts

Drives: M235i -> M340i
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Tampa, FL

iTrader: (0)

I reached out to both Tiago at VRSF and Ando at Burger Tuning and here's what I got back:

VRSF - the previous gen downpipe does not fit, but they plan on developing one for the new car soon. As goj stated above, there is no need for an upgraded charge pipe on B58 like there was on the N55 motor.

BMS - JB4 is compatible.

Has anyone been able to find a downpipe for the M340i? May wait for Tiago@VRSF to develop one as their products were excellent for me (DP and CP) and a great value.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2019, 01:24 PM   #5
Alexey
Private
5
Rep
83
Posts

Drives: M340
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Russia

iTrader: (0)

Is it possible that the turbo is larger on M340 than other models BMW with B58?
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2019, 06:50 PM   #6
bimmer813
Private First Class
42
Rep
154
Posts

Drives: M235i -> M340i
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Tampa, FL

iTrader: (0)

A bit surprised how dead this whole section is...I feel like the mod bug normally hits the BMW community pretty hard haha
Appreciate 1
      07-16-2019, 12:21 AM   #7
nola2atx
Private First Class
nola2atx's Avatar
United_States
86
Rep
155
Posts

Drives: 2020 M340i
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Austin, TX

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer813 View Post
A bit surprised how dead this whole section is...I feel like the mod bug normally hits the BMW community pretty hard haha
I agree, but I think it's simply such a low volume of owners at this point and companies are still in development phase.
__________________
///M340i Portim„o

My Exes:
E36, E46, F30
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2019, 10:42 AM   #8
gpdriver17
First Lieutenant
147
Rep
331
Posts

Drives: F90 M5
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Bay Area

iTrader: (0)

You're saying the JB4 from the 2018 340 works on the M340?
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2019, 01:50 AM   #9
Fean07
Enlisted Member
11
Rep
30
Posts

Drives: Bmw m340i
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: California

iTrader: (0)

Got one in the mail yesterday. I’ll plug it in in the next days and will let you know how it feels. I hope to run a dyno as well to check improvement
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2019, 11:26 PM   #10
Fean07
Enlisted Member
11
Rep
30
Posts

Drives: Bmw m340i
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: California

iTrader: (0)

Guys got the JB4 installed and went for a test ride... the car is amazing... so much power, the feeling is that the traction in lower gear is at limit during acceleration.

The pop from exhaust are way louder... amazing update. And only running map2 (+4psi)

Only problem so far, is that JB4 seems not compatible with the live cockpit pro. I sent email to Terry and will let you know if there is solution to it. For now need to change map with data cable.
Appreciate 1
Stiunit10.50

      07-20-2019, 05:26 AM   #11
Stiunit
Private
Stiunit's Avatar
11
Rep
64
Posts

Drives: 2020 M340I
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: San Diego

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fean07 View Post
Guys got the JB4 installed and went for a test ride... the car is amazing... so much power, the feeling is that the traction in lower gear is at limit during acceleration.

The pop from exhaust are way louder... amazing update. And only running map2 (+4psi)

Only problem so far, is that JB4 seems not compatible with the live cockpit pro. I sent email to Terry and will let you know if there is solution to it. For now need to change map with data cable.
nice man looking forward to updates . i want to get one
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2019, 04:48 PM   #12
joes_m340
Private
joes_m340's Avatar
17
Rep
62
Posts

Drives: 2020 M340 xDrive
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: AR

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
I've reached out to Dinan but have not heard anything back yet.
__________________
2020 ///M340
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2019, 09:54 PM   #13
chenry
Major
674
Rep
1,478
Posts

Drives: BostonWhaler,340+18 BMWs sofar
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fean07 View Post
Guys got the JB4 installed and went for a test ride... the car is amazing... so much power, the feeling is that the traction in lower gear is at limit during acceleration.

The pop from exhaust are way louder... amazing update. And only running map2 (+4psi)

Only problem so far, is that JB4 seems not compatible with the live cockpit pro. I sent email to Terry and will let you know if there is solution to it. For now need to change map with data cable.
So with the F30 B58 cars I have yet to run across anyone running 91 (california crap gas) that did not experience the car hesitating at shifts and basically falling on its face in between shifts when running a piggyback (JB4, JB+, Dinan, AA etc...). Are you running 91 CA crap gas and experiencing smooth stock like linear acceleration with your piggyback?

My 340 did not perform well (2 piggybacks) until I had it flashed and then it was just like oem on steroids / I'll be surprised if somehow the g20 changes that but I remain open minded because I have no first hand knowledge other than the f30 cars

If the traction issue you mention is wheel spin and granny intervention that's one thing (I get that but) but if what you are experiencing is the car wildly pausing between shifts and seem lost that's a piggyback for you on 91
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2019, 10:30 AM   #14
gpdriver17
First Lieutenant
147
Rep
331
Posts

Drives: F90 M5
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Bay Area

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chenry View Post
So with the F30 B58 cars I have yet to run across anyone running 91 (california crap gas) that did not experience the car hesitating at shifts and basically falling on its face in between shifts when running a piggyback (JB4, JB+, Dinan, AA etc...). Are you running 91 CA crap gas and experiencing smooth stock like linear acceleration with your piggyback?

My 340 did not perform well (2 piggybacks) until I had it flashed and then it was just like oem on steroids / I'll be surprised if somehow the g20 changes that but I remain open minded because I have no first hand knowledge other than the f30 cars

If the traction issue you mention is wheel spin and granny intervention that's one thing (I get that but) but if what you are experiencing is the car wildly pausing between shifts and seem lost that's a piggyback for you on 91
Can't you just mix a few gallons of E85 with the 91 and have it run great? I think I'm just going to get a 55 gallon drum of E85 and put a few gallons in every time I fill the tank. Either that or octane boosters.

The E85 is $375 for a 55 gallon drum. 2 gallons should be enough with each fill. So once a week would come out to ~$700 a year. Worth it in my opinion.
__________________
2019 BMW M5
2020 BMW M340i
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2019, 11:42 AM   #15
chenry
Major
674
Rep
1,478
Posts

Drives: BostonWhaler,340+18 BMWs sofar
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpdriver17 View Post
Can't you just mix a few gallons of E85 with the 91 and have it run great? I think I'm just going to get a 55 gallon drum of E85 and put a few gallons in every time I fill the tank. Either that or octane boosters.

The E85 is $375 for a 55 gallon drum. 2 gallons should be enough with each fill. So once a week would come out to ~$700 a year. Worth it in my opinion.
I typically run a couple gallons of E85 with my 91 California crap gas but that's because I'm running a MP stage 2.5 tune in my 340 (sometimes I just run the 91 and the tune adapts) - that said. With all the wonderful flash tunes currently available I'm at a loss why anyone would go with a piggyback (unless they are running it in conjunction with a backend flash)

For my 2021 M340 (obviously several several months off) I am simply going to transfer my tune to the new car

Last edited by chenry; 07-23-2019 at 12:08 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2019, 01:33 PM   #16
gpdriver17
First Lieutenant
147
Rep
331
Posts

Drives: F90 M5
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Bay Area

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chenry View Post
I typically run a couple gallons of E85 with my 91 California crap gas but that's because I'm running a MP stage 2.5 tune in my 340 (sometimes I just run the 91 and the tune adapts) - that said. With all the wonderful flash tunes currently available I'm at a loss why anyone would go with a piggyback (unless they are running it in conjunction with a backend flash)

For my 2021 M340 (obviously several several months off) I am simply going to transfer my tune to the new car
I haven't looked into actual ECU flashes yet much. Just saw the JB4 and thought it seemed nice because it has an app to adjust it and it's pretty easy to install. I feel like with the piggy back there's also still a slim chance if anything did go horribly wrong you might be able to remove it and get warranty to cover it. At least on my C63 with a new engine costing 71k, I like to have that chance.

Update: I just researched this a little and realized they can still easily detect a piggy back.
__________________
2019 BMW M5
2020 BMW M340i

Last edited by gpdriver17; 07-23-2019 at 02:45 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2019, 02:37 PM   #17
chenry
Major
674
Rep
1,478
Posts

Drives: BostonWhaler,340+18 BMWs sofar
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpdriver17 View Post
I haven't looked into actual ECU flashes yet much. Just saw the JB4 and thought it seemed nice because it has an app to adjust it and it's pretty easy to install. I feel like with the piggy back there's also still a slim chance if anything did go horribly wrong you might be able to remove it and get warranty to cover it. At least on my C63 with a new engine costing 71k, I like to have that chance.

Update: I just researched this a little and realized they can still easily detect a piggy back.
So first and foremost love the C63s congrats - friend showed up the other day with an e63s wagon - talk about a rare bird - love the MB. Yes I think IMHO we are at the point that unplugging a piggyback is on par with flashing your car back to stock prior to a dealer visit. Both actions are relatively easy to do, and you'll likely be safe...however if the dealer digs deep enough you will be found out.

So for me (in my late 40's) I simply wanted safe clean linear power delivery to redline without compromise or concern and the Mission Performance tune delivered that for me. Also didn't want to worry about E85 if it wasn't readily available - wanted to be able to dump 91 in the tank and move on.

I'm presently just shy of 400 to the wheels (dyno tested) with a simple safe engine and tranny tune - not C63s territory but close and more than my 340 can put down given the lack of LSD or AWD.

At this point I don't need more HP I need to become a better driver AutoX has proven that to me :-)

Anyhoo - for my 2-cents I would flash before I piggybacked but to each their own - all good - motor on
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2019, 07:48 PM   #18
Fean07
Enlisted Member
11
Rep
30
Posts

Drives: Bmw m340i
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: California

iTrader: (0)

Oh guys let me get this clear. I would have flashed if I paid the piggyback or paid full price

I had it from previous cars and I only paid for the card upgrade which was less then 200$ so I just wanted to make reuse of it

Regarding performance no hesitation in acceleration with crap ca 91 . Thatís doesnít mean cannot happen obviously but Iím leasing the car and no planning to keep hence one more reason Iím ok running a piggyback

I will probably mix e85 to try to run +6 but for now performance are good for me
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2019, 01:57 AM   #19
evermire
Private
evermire's Avatar
6
Rep
80
Posts

Drives: 2016 340i
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Irvine, CA

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2020 M340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fean07 View Post
Guys got the JB4 installed and went for a test ride... the car is amazing... so much power, the feeling is that the traction in lower gear is at limit during acceleration.

The pop from exhaust are way louder... amazing update. And only running map2 (+4psi)

Only problem so far, is that JB4 seems not compatible with the live cockpit pro. I sent email to Terry and will let you know if there is solution to it. For now need to change map with data cable.
Did you connect the OBD2 sensor on the new car? Swapped mine over and I canít quickly tell how to get the cable through the firewall. Also PMd you with a few other questions.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2019, 08:47 AM   #20
Fean07
Enlisted Member
11
Rep
30
Posts

Drives: Bmw m340i
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: California

iTrader: (0)

Yes I connected. I know itís tricky because they replaced the plastic cap on the firewall with a solid aluminum panel. You need to use a long screwdriver to poke through it. No much force needed
Before you poke it there is a round piece of sticky soft material. Remove it with your hand and save it. You can try to put that back on after you pass the wire through but I didnít . I just saved it in the car to close the hole in future
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2019, 10:55 AM   #21
BarryB
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
571
Rep
1,531
Posts

Drives: 30Jahre M5 plus a few more M's
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Palo Alto CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRK_RDY View Post
I've reached out to Dinan but have not heard anything back yet.
Unable to crack the ECU at this time. They've tried (on my car).
__________________
F10 30 Jahre M5/F80 30 Jahre M3
F82 M4 GTS/ E39 S3 M5
E36 M3 with S54 Swap/G20 M340i xdrive
F85 X5M /03 Cooper S (Maxi Tuned 50bhp)
60 Impala (43k orig mi) 991.1 Turbo S
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2019, 01:35 PM   #22
nola2atx
Private First Class
nola2atx's Avatar
United_States
86
Rep
155
Posts

Drives: 2020 M340i
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Austin, TX

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryB View Post
Unable to crack the ECU at this time. They've tried (on my car).
That's unfortunate. I would have thought their close relationship with BMW would help with that. Maybe not so close anymore?
__________________
///M340i Portim„o

My Exes:
E36, E46, F30
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:57 PM.




g20
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST