Forum for the entire range of BMW electric vehicles
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW i4 Forum - i430, i440 (G26) EV Forum BMW i4 Forum - M50, eDrive40, eDrive35 (G26) EV Forum

12-17-2022, 06:26 AM   #89
mlanes01
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 G26 e40, 2021 G05 x40i

Just confirming that dapp has been working great since the update and it's offered it to me very reliably when in traffic. Very nice set up. My only gripe with BMW assisted drive is that whether it's adaptive cruise or dapp when a car slams the brakes on in front of you or you approach stopped traffic the early warning detection comes on and I always take over and have to slam on the brakes .. hopefully they figure this out in some upcoming updates but other than that the feature works really well at slow speeds and in traffic jams.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2022, 06:23 AM   #90
scLA
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 G05

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlanes01 View Post
Just confirming that dapp has been working great since the update and it's offered it to me very reliably when in traffic. Very nice set up. My only gripe with BMW assisted drive is that whether it's adaptive cruise or dapp when a car slams the brakes on in front of you or you approach stopped traffic the early warning detection comes on and I always take over and have to slam on the brakes .. hopefully they figure this out in some upcoming updates but other than that the feature works really well at slow speeds and in traffic jams.
The car doesn’t engage brakes automatically when early warning turns on?
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2022, 08:37 AM   #91
cruzer666
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW i4 M50

Garage List
2023 BMW i4 M50  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlanes01 View Post
This is a bit of a pros and cons situation. This was done by design and it is not a problem that will be resolved by an update. This is also why I never had a phantom brake situation after using DAPP continuously for well over 20,000 miles.

BMW has some turn limitations also where the system will disengage if the road turn radius is too high. This is to prevent any kind of sudden and quick turns that the driver cannot correct.

The same goes for when someone slams their brake in front of you, the system will disengage and ask you to take over. It will however brake automatically depending on your front collision avoidance settings, but I don’t recommend you letting the system do that, it will feel like a truck hit you since the brake will be sudden.

Remember to always pay attention, system is also not perfect and has situations where it doesn’t do that great. Overall, it is a safe, mature/conservative driving assistance system where the pros significantly outweigh the cons.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2022, 10:52 AM   #92
jpuffmasterpuffpuffpuff69
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Jaguar I-Pace

It's the best assisted driving system I've used. Better than Jaguar, which is better than Tesla. It stays on the road and is happy to take user input. It may be too good, though, which is an issue for overall safety. The Jaguar is maybe in the sweet spot of "I gotta still pay attention".
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2022, 01:00 PM   #93
kbsilver
Captain
Rep
Drives: 340GT & '22 eDrive40

My only gripe is the warning of DAPP disengagement is not loud enough, I'm not always aware it's happening until the car starts drifting. Sharp turns, a Y in the road and worn lane markers are the most common causes for me.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2022, 08:08 AM   #94
mlanes01
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Idk for me the entire point of traffic aware cruise control is to try and avoid as many sudden braking incidents as possible. When the radar sees braking it should do a better job of slowing early was my point.
Appreciate 1
      12-19-2022, 08:00 PM   #95
Cosmo_Kramer
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Lexus

There’s a recall for this issue now. It has to be updated at the dealer, OTA may not be able to fix it. Ironically people in U.S are now getting OTA today. Mine got updated at dealer and it added new menu for Situational Distance control.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2022, 03:51 PM   #96
10TacoCat01
Rep
Drives: i4 Hopeful

So if you have the new “situational distance control” option in your driving assist menu, does that mean Traffic Jam Assist should work now?

I got an update at the dealer and my car has situational distance control now but nothing about driving assist plus. Haven’t been in a heavy traffic situation yet to see if the traffic jam assist option pops up now (it didn’t before the update).
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2022, 08:01 PM   #97
Cosmo_Kramer
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Lexus

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10TacoCat01 View Post
So if you have the new “situational distance control” option in your driving assist menu, does that mean Traffic Jam Assist should work now?

I got an update at the dealer and my car has situational distance control now but nothing about driving assist plus. Haven’t been in a heavy traffic situation yet to see if the traffic jam assist option pops up now (it didn’t before the update).
Yes, it’s the same thing I tested it’s working.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2022, 09:22 PM   #98
mlanes01
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10TacoCat01 View Post

Correct that is the menu item for the hands free traffic jam assist.
Appreciate 0