Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Technical Topics B58 6-Cylinder Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications Custom Built Exhaust?

05-17-2024, 09:49 AM   #1
snow_m340i
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M340i xDrive

Question Custom Built Exhaust?

So I recently bought a 2022 m340i and have been in a rabbit hole of research for an exhaust. My favorite one so far in terms of sound and budget is the AWE non-resonated Touring, my only issue is the lack of valves.... Also I should say options of many brands are limited because I live in Dubai and either not available or they charge extortionate prices to ship.

Sooo, I've been debating getting a custom cat-back exhaust system made, both because of lack of availability of delivery from many companies and it costs significantly less but not sure if I should do that or go safe and get one that is tried and tested (like AWE).

Has anyone done a custom build? If you have any tips, pointers, videos, photos, etc?
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2024, 10:48 AM   #2
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Custom builds rarely end up well. I recommend you get the AWE instead. more money, but proven quality and sound

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2024, 03:21 PM   #3
snow_m340i
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
Custom builds rarely end up well. I recommend you get the AWE instead. more money, but proven quality and sound
That's what I figured, didn't want to risk it and end up with something that doesn't sound great.

Any recommendation around that 2k price range with valves?
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2024, 07:02 PM   #4
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by snow_m340i View Post
That's what I figured, didn't want to risk it and end up with something that doesn't sound great.

Any recommendation around that 2k price range with valves?
the MAD exhaust is the only one under 2K with valves

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2024, 09:44 PM   #5
HavicBMW
Rep
Drives: '21 BMW M340i xDrive

Quote:
So I recently bought a 2022 m340i and have been in a rabbit hole of research for an exhaust. My favorite one so far in terms of sound and budget is the AWE non-resonated Touring, my only issue is the lack of valves.... Also I should say options of many brands are limited because I live in Dubai and either not available or they charge extortionate prices to ship.

Sooo, I've been debating getting a custom cat-back exhaust system made, both because of lack of availability of delivery from many companies and it costs significantly less but not sure if I should do that or go safe and get one that is tried and tested (like AWE).

Has anyone done a custom build? If you have any tips, pointers, videos, photos, etc?
I am in the same boat! I am looking at getting the AWE non-resonated exhaust myself. If you want to do custom, I would highly recommend getting the muffler section of a f90 M5 and getting that installed. The muffler sections fits our cars really well and it sounds amazing. You are still able to keep the valves as well.

This guy posted a video of his build, if you skip to around 13:40, there is a sound clip of the F90 M5 muffler section he welded onto his exhaust:

Appreciate 2
      05-18-2024, 09:47 AM   #6
snow_m340i
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HavicBMW View Post
I am in the same boat! I am looking at getting the AWE non-resonated exhaust myself. If you want to do custom, I would highly recommend getting the muffler section of a f90 M5 and getting that installed. The muffler sections fits our cars really well and it sounds amazing. You are still able to keep the valves as well.

This guy posted a video of his build, if you skip to around 13:40, there is a sound clip of the F90 M5 muffler section he welded onto his exhaust:

This was actually really cool to see! So if the stock f90 m5 fits perfectly, if i can't find one, do you think i could technically get an aftermarket f90 M5 exhaust and it would fit? And I would then have valves on both sides too

I've also been seeing these HMD exhausts on Ebay but cant find any good videos with them? Has anyone bought one and tried it?
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2024, 09:51 AM   #7
HavicBMW
Rep
Drives: '21 BMW M340i xDrive

Quote:
This was actually really cool to see! So if the stock f90 m5 fits perfectly, if i can't find one, do you think i could technically get an aftermarket f90 M5 exhaust and it would fit? And I would then have valves on both sides too

I've also been seeing these HMD exhausts on Ebay but cant find any good videos with them? Has anyone bought one and tried it?
It would only make sense that you technically could use an aftermarket M5 exhaust… just keep in mind that it’s only the muffler section that matches up with the hangers on our cars… so it might be a little
more off when it comes to connecting it if that makes sense?

I haven’t heard of HMD exhausts but i’ll take a look at it as well!
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2024, 09:52 AM   #8
snow_m340i
Rep

Quote:
Never heard of it before but checked it out and sounds pretty good actually
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2024, 02:13 PM   #9
snow_m340i
Rep

Quote:
Been looking into MAD all day now, just hit them up, appreciate you for putting me on!
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2024, 03:57 PM   #10
Info@mad-us.com
Major General
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:
Been looking into MAD all day now, just hit them up, appreciate you for putting me on!
Pm replied.
Appreciate 0