Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions M340i vs "True" M cars (1 Month Ownership)

12-29-2022, 03:14 PM   #89
EXE46
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i RWD Aka New E39 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bavarianride View Post
I think staggered tires do induce understeer, right?

I also recall other forum posters saying narrow tires + small(er) rims are preferred on track to reduce unsprung weights, and a square setup is more neutral than staggered.

As far as 225/45-18 front and 255/40-18 rear, this guy does pretty well with those on a 184HP G20.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seccsc View Post
I can see that if you are rear wheel only. I had this staggered setup on my old E90 ‘07 335i and had issues putting the power down modified. My M340xi launches just as hard in the wet as it does in the dry with the PS4Ss. No issues in the turns. However, I have never tracked the car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wtwo3 View Post
I didn't know that about the 4 GC. m340i would DEFINITELY benefit from that setup.
Same lol, M340 could use 245'S front and 265's rears from the factory IMO.
      12-29-2022, 03:24 PM   #90
TheStoic
Private
Rep
Drives: '23 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTG View Post
This reminds me of the 335 vs M3 discussions on E9X forums back in the day which I am sure is still going on

I can afford both cars so money is not a concern here.

M340 is the PERFECT daily driver as far as I am concerned and I don't track or modify my cars. IMO BMW hit it out of the ball park the M340. Even if they were both priced the same, I will still take the M340 for my purposes.

M340
-Plenty of power
-Looks much much better than the pigged nosed M3/4
-Way more comfortable
-Plenty capable for daily street driving
-Better gas mileage for those who care & probably cheaper to maintain (both I don't care about)

M3/4
-Good god what an amazing driving machine. Best M car I have driven besides the M2 Comp
-A car that you can track all weekend and drive to work on a Monday if it is your thing
-Suspension is too rough for being a daily which is my personal opinion
-Amazing seat offerings
-MANUAL trans on base model which is amazing
-Horrible looks

You can call M340 whatever you want, baby M, tuned 330 etc etc. M car will own it all day at a track however way you look at it. For those who track their cars and think that M340 will beat M cars, you are mistaken. Of course fan boys will start talking if I chip it, tune it, mess with suspension......we are talking stock vs stock.

I am glad BMW gave us such an amazing option for those of us who prefer a better ride comfort on daily basis.

I would of ordered a M3 manual as a weekend car if it wasn't for the looks but I am sticking to 911 as my weekend car for now.

This is coming from someone who owns a 2020 M340, owned bunch of M cars along with many BMWs over the years.

I know many will disagree but that is my personal opinion.

M340 is the 1st BMW that I bought out of my lease, thats how much I like this thing and might end up keeping it for a while.

Peace everyone
Nice post, I was waiting for one like this. Sums up my thoughts, except I haven't driven an M3. I'm sure it's a hell of a car, but for my daily commute, I wanted the M340i. At this time in my life, it's the perfect car for me. Perfect blend of comfort, handling and quickness for my daily commute. I have nothing to prove or argue over with someone who owns a different model.

And regarding the steering, I paid extra close attention to mine recently, and it drives straight and normal and doesn't require unusual/constant adjustments to track straight. As far as major auto publications noticing an "issue", I don't care. I usually don't bother reading too many reviews, I'd rather test drive the car myself. I've learned that more often than not, my opinion/experience is quite different.
Appreciate 2
      12-29-2022, 10:40 PM   #91
TruthOne
Major
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i

Where do you all live where you can even take advantage of all the performance of either cars? I live in the city and aside from the constant stop light challenges from Scatpacks, Hellcats, Older M cars etc nobody is slalom driving around the city or suburbs so continuously harping on needing the car to be on rails is for what purpose? Most reviews say the M340 handles great, are you all tracking cars once a week?

Everything is relative , I remember people complaining about the “ numb “ G8X steering too. Nobody will ever be 100% happy , 1rst world problems. A lot of Porsche drivers look down on BMW’s as shit handling cars. Again relative .
Appreciate 3
chenry2361.00
      12-30-2022, 03:29 AM   #92
JABCAT
Professor
Rep
Drives: '23 M2 & '22 X3 M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruthOne View Post
Where do you all live where you can even take advantage of all the performance of either cars? I live in the city and aside from the constant stop light challenges from Scatpacks, Hellcats, Older M cars etc nobody is slalom driving around the city or suburbs so continuously harping on needing the car to be on rails is for what purpose? Most reviews say the M340 handles great, are you all tracking cars once a week?

Everything is relative , I remember people complaining about the “ numb “ G8X steering too. Nobody will ever be 100% happy , 1rst world problems. A lot of Porsche drivers look down on BMW’s as shit handling cars. Again relative .
You mean you don't slalom and figure-8 every day to and from work, what is wrong with you? . I agree, nobody is driving these cars anywhere close to their potential or limits anywhere which is why these conversations and those about how bad run flat tires are & people can tell the difference in performance between them and non-run flats on the street are simply entertaining.

Now I do have nice wide open, curvy country roads out by me that I like to take my kids out in my Z06 and do some spirited driving, but even then I'm at like 1/4 of the capabilities of that car. Taking some 25 mph curves at 70 in that car is fun & still well within safe operation. But yeah, day to day driving in traffic there's zero need to push these cars.

His: '23 M2, Toronto Red Metallic, M highlight interior, carbon fiber interior trim, shadowline, lighting pkg, auto cruise, live cockpit pro.
Appreciate 1
TruthOne1082.50
      12-30-2022, 08:52 AM   #93
wtwo3
Major General
Rep
Drives: 23 X7 40i; 23 M3; 24 cooper s

Garage List
One thing I'll mention about the suspension - because that's been commented on a few times about how the G80 suspension is stiffer and that's why the m340i is a better daily.

I don't know if it's because I have the stock M-sport suspension on my m340i or what, but I found the suspension significantly more compliant and better tuned on the M3. It was smoother over bumps where my m340i is just bone jarring. I'm wondering if I optioned the adaptive suspension on it if that would then place it as less stiff than the G80?

But as of now, I find the G80 to be even more comfortable than my m340i - with the combination of a sophisticated and adaptive suspension setup and full merino leather which is WAY better than the vernasca the m340i has.

'20 BMW m340i... '20 BMW X5 40i... '16 Infiniti Q50 RS 400... '10 Lexus RX 350... '08 Lexus IS 350... '00 Nissan Maxima... '93 Nissan Maxima
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2022, 09:32 AM   #94
TupperBMW
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 M850i Gran Coupe

I daily drove my M340i for over a year. I threw on an AWE exhaust for smiles. That car was a fantastic daily driver and fast. I’ve owned and currently own faster cars, so you start to not really feel like a car is all that fast once you drive faster cars. But all you need to do is drive your wife’s minivan for a few days and you will quickly miss the performance, LOL

Anyhow, I haven’t driven an M3, but there is no need to. The M340i will never beat an M3 in anything, but it’s a perfect and fun daily driver. I think it handled wonderfully on the curves too. One of BMW’s best cars
Appreciate 1
      12-30-2022, 11:38 AM   #95
wspalding
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 M340i

Garage List
2018 M240i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TupperBMW View Post
I daily drove my M340i for over a year. I threw on an AWE exhaust for smiles. That car was a fantastic daily driver and fast. I’ve owned and currently own faster cars, so you start to not really feel like a car is all that fast once you drive faster cars. But all you need to do is drive your wife’s minivan for a few days and you will quickly miss the performance, LOL

Anyhow, I haven’t driven an M3, but there is no need to. The M340i will never beat an M3 in anything, but it’s a perfect and fun daily driver. I think it handled wonderfully on the curves too. One of BMW’s best cars
I’m so tempted to drive an M850 but know once I do I’ll have to have one so. Probably better that I not go there 😂
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2022, 02:05 PM   #96
TruthOne
Major
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JABCAT View Post
You mean you don't slalom and figure-8 every day to and from work, what is wrong with you? . I agree, nobody is driving these cars anywhere close to their potential or limits anywhere which is why these conversations and those about how bad run flat tires are & people can tell the difference in performance between them and non-run flats on the street are simply entertaining.

Now I do have nice wide open, curvy country roads out by me that I like to take my kids out in my Z06 and do some spirited driving, but even then I'm at like 1/4 of the capabilities of that car. Taking some 25 mph curves at 70 in that car is fun & still well within safe operation. But yeah, day to day driving in traffic there's zero need to push these cars.
LOL Yeah being in California we have great twisty roads to drive but none of us are professionals, at least I don’t think. If you’ve ever been on a ride with an actual race car driver you’ll realize you suck at driving . They will make a Miata feel like the most amazing car you’ve ever been in. People think they are good drivers until you actually drive with or against a professional. I watched a professional on a race track nearly lap my friends Z06 in an S2000 .
Appreciate 1
      12-30-2022, 02:58 PM   #97
chrispy28_xd
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 m340i

Northern California has some of the best tracks in the country with a lot of organizations hosting HPDEs with novice groups. It's very easy to get into and the hobby is quite addicting. I definitely recommend trying it at least once.
Appreciate 1
      12-30-2022, 04:13 PM   #98
TractionControlDelete
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82-E92 M3-E46 M3-E30-S1K-330i

Garage List
2004 X5  [9.00]
2006 325i  [10.00]
2021 S1000RR  [9.50]
2006 330i  [7.75]
1986 325e  [10.00]
2005 M3  [7.40]
2009 M3  [8.63]
2018 M4  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by quizly6 View Post
I have been scrolling through forums for the past couple months on m340’s performance wise. I decided to purchase a 2020 model for ecu tunability + the exhaust. After putting about 1,500 miles on the car 30 days in, I absolutely love it.

There is a debate going on about whether it’s a baby M car, or just a beefed up 330i.

In my opinion, the car handles extremely well and is straight up fast in a straight line. I understand it is not a true m car, but to call it a tuned 330i is just ridiculous to me. I also drive a g82 m4, and have driven the prior f82 m4 extensively as well.

In my honest opinion, I absolutely hated the f82 m4. Sounded horrible, didn’t drive that well, although the looks of the car are stunning. Can’t tell a huge difference in speed between the two, however I know f8x is slightly faster.

The G82 is hands down better in every single way possible than the m340i, as well as f8x. Car drives like an absolute dream. Handling is so precise it feels like an extension of my own body. This is a true M car.

In my opinion, the m340i is also worthy of the M badge. Not a true M car, but definitely closer to an M3 than a 330i. It just digs into corners, and that exhaust is beautiful. Proper fast, and proper fun to drive.

Interested to hear others thoughts. I don’t understand why other M drivers love to bash this car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
So, is it ///M car owners you’re seeing call an M340i a tuned 330i?? Personally, I have never read that in this forum. Mainly because the 330i has a four banger under the hood and the M340i has an inline six. Saying that about the M340i makes no sense.
Let’s see a pic of the Bimmer lineup!!

Never heard the “tuned 330i” stuff from ///M folks (or really much of anything about M340i honestly). They’re generally more concerned about grills, crankhubs, rod bearings, throttle actuators, shattered carbon lips, and other BS

Happy to hear that you’re enjoying your rides though 💪

https://youtube.com/@tractioncontroldelete
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2022, 04:46 PM   #99
aftercorbu
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20 M2C, 20 S3

Caveat… My wife just purchased a RWD M340i today before the price increase hits. So, too soon to provide detailed feedback as to comparison M to “M-light”. I will keep up with this thread however, because it is a good question, and we have both vehicles at the same time, and we are both enthusiasts.

My M car is an M2Comp MT, so may never be able to appropriately compare. Perhaps a m240i may be a more direct comparison, but we wouldn’t purchase that car since we have an M2. The 340 provides us with utility and comfort that a 2 series won’t. We have each driven both the 2 and 3 variants on track in Spartanburg, but these were both a generation ago.

Initial impressions of the M340i to start. In addition to this vehicle’s competence across multiple areas it is very much a value proposition in comparison to many in its class. The M2’s loyalty contributed to $1,750 under MSRP. And we will have the $500 rebate from BMW CCA.

We test drove the usual assortment, S4, Alfa, G70, and Volvo S60 T8 (this one out of the norm perhaps). The 340i clearly was the best of each of those driven. She traded in her S3 which was a great car for us! I also have a 4wd SUV as a daily so we don’t need the 4wd for winter mountain runs. Initially she did purchase the S3 partly due to its sure-footedness.

For now some pictures, we literally are just back from the dealer!
Attached Images

12-31-2022, 09:08 AM   #100
JABCAT
Professor
Rep
Drives: '23 M2 & '22 X3 M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruthOne View Post
LOL Yeah being in California we have great twisty roads to drive but none of us are professionals, at least I don’t think. If you’ve ever been on a ride with an actual race car driver you’ll realize you suck at driving . They will make a Miata feel like the most amazing car you’ve ever been in. People think they are good drivers until you actually drive with or against a professional. I watched a professional on a race track nearly lap my friends Z06 in an S2000 .
100%
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2023, 09:15 AM   #101
RLL RACER
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMWM8TurnerM6(2)M3's(1)Bavaria

Quote:
Originally Posted by TractionControlDelete View Post
Let’s see a pic of the Bimmer lineup!!

Never heard the “tuned 330i” stuff from ///M folks (or really much of anything about M340i honestly). They’re generally more concerned about grills, crankhubs, rod bearings, throttle actuators, shattered carbon lips, and other BS

Happy to hear that you’re enjoying your rides though 💪
A friend had his 2022 330i x drive tuned at GR Performance. Thanks to a electric launch then leading to full loud throaty exhaust with great pops and burbles. . I was shocked at the increased HP and Torque! Blows my 2022 340 off the track. His also has adaptive suspension which really shined on true road surfaces and cornering. He also had them add a full carbon aero package.. The look blows the M3 or 4 away! Of course the new Grill on the M3 and 4 detracts most BMW racing enthusiast and fans alike. Yuk!
Appreciate 1
      01-03-2023, 02:02 PM   #102
oz555
Captain
Rep
Drives: M340i x-drive

Garage List
2021 BMW M340iX  [9.00]
Certainly not a M car by any means. Powerful 3 series but nothing more than that.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2023, 04:18 PM   #103
Geo_FF
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 M340xi Portimao Blue

Garage List
Audi has their model line done the best IMO with A, S, and RS. Clearcut and well differentiated.
Appreciate 1
wtwo318067.50
      01-05-2023, 11:22 AM   #104
JMD
MGySgt
United_States
Rep
Drives: See Garage List! ;-)

Garage List
2010 M5  [10.00]
2016 BMW 340xi M Sport  [9.00]
2019 X5 50i M Sport  [5.50]
2010 535xi  [0.00]
2013 M5  [0.00]
2012 X5 M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by quizly6 View Post
I have been scrolling through forums for the past couple months on m340’s performance wise. I decided to purchase a 2020 model for ecu tunability + the exhaust. After putting about 1,500 miles on the car 30 days in, I absolutely love it.

There is a debate going on about whether it’s a baby M car, or just a beefed up 330i.

In my opinion, the car handles extremely well and is straight up fast in a straight line. I understand it is not a true m car, but to call it a tuned 330i is just ridiculous to me. I also drive a g82 m4, and have driven the prior f82 m4 extensively as well.

In my honest opinion, I absolutely hated the f82 m4. Sounded horrible, didn’t drive that well, although the looks of the car are stunning. Can’t tell a huge difference in speed between the two, however I know f8x is slightly faster.

The G82 is hands down better in every single way possible than the m340i, as well as f8x. Car drives like an absolute dream. Handling is so precise it feels like an extension of my own body. This is a true M car.

In my opinion, the m340i is also worthy of the M badge. Not a true M car, but definitely closer to an M3 than a 330i. It just digs into corners, and that exhaust is beautiful. Proper fast, and proper fun to drive.

Interested to hear others thoughts. I don’t understand why other M drivers love to bash this car.
Good analysis. I picked up a 2020 M340 just a few months ago,...and after having a '17 M3 for a spell, I will say your write-up is spot on. I find the M340 to be a joy to drive,...be it straight line or in the twisty stuff. It's very predictable when getting into the power band too.
      01-06-2023, 12:27 AM   #105
Sbu
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i

There is not such thing as a baby M car nor a true M car. Internet people need to stop adding these stupid pre-fixes. All BMW models are named according to their engines by BMW. Nowhere did they ever mention “baby” nor “true” as if there was a “fake” M car!
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2023, 08:20 AM   #106
Cortexiphan
Major
Rep
Drives: 24' BMW iX

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMaxXHD View Post
I find this funny. Because it begs the question, is the M3 really deserving of the M badge? Like, are we sure? Because, in actual difference, the only way you can justify the difference between the M340i and the M3 is through track use.

The question then becomes, since when did the M badge indicate a car that is only better on the track???

Everyone likes to lament on "new BMW", but "old BMW" M badging didn't used to mean "better than our other cars only on the track".

The point is, even the 330i is a good car. So is the M340i, so is the M3. Who cares about the M marketing. The M340i is the best ROAD 3 series M car. The M3 is the best TRACK 3 series M car. That's the way I see it.

I would not daily drive a stiff M3 chassis on a road with bad MPG (though the M3 can still daily drive if need be), and would definitely prefer the M3 on the track (while the M340i would still be good enough on the track for many, just not AS good)
Yes, in addition, it's worth mentioning that ALL badges are for marketing. And ALL brands or for marketing.
'M' is for marketing, 'BMW' is for marketing.
M3 badge on M3 is also for marketing.

Also 'M' is a BMW brand. They own the brand, they created the brand. If they take a 520i and call it 'M5', that car is M5. It's not a conspiracy to annoy you, it's a branding decision, and all branding decisions come from marketing.
21’ G20 ///M340i

24' i20 iX xDrive50
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2023, 09:35 AM   #107
Sbu
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortexiphan View Post
Yes, in addition, it's worth mentioning that ALL badges are for marketing. And ALL brands or for marketing.

Also 'M' is a BMW brand. They own the brand, they created the brand. If they take a 520i and call it 'M5', that car is M5. It's not a conspiracy to annoy you, it's a branding decision, and all branding decisions come from marketing.
Thank you. I have read a LOT of comments saying M340i is not deserving of an M badge it’s there for marketing purposes. Well duh. M on an M badge is there for marketing purposes. How can a car not deserve a mere letter. It is just that. A letter slapper anywhere on the body of a car.

The guys on here talk as it they decide what car deserves M. No. It’s BMW that decides. They can make another higher spec model if they want and call that the M and make the current M4 an M440i. So what! You all of a sudden drive a lesser car?
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2023, 09:38 AM   #108
Sbu
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortexiphan View Post

Just now Merc made a 4 pot and called it the C63. Is it now not a C63 coz internet decides what engine goes into a C63. No. It was Merc who decided even before and now they have decided a 4 pot will do. Thats your C63.
BMW will do something similar in the future.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2023, 09:44 AM   #109
Sbu
Enlisted Member
Rep

People be losing their minds because BMW put ‘M’ mirrors on an M340i. “These mirrors are for M car”
Lol. Its just a mass produced plastic shell. BMW can put it in any car they want and style it as they please. They are NOT for a specific car just like you see M branding.
Hence no such thing as real or true M car.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2023, 09:47 AM   #110
Sbu
Enlisted Member
Rep

M340i is an M car.
M3 is an M car.
There both have motorsport devision DNA/Design/Specifications.
Note I didn’t say full or baby. No. M car.
Appreciate 0