Bimmerpost
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G80 M3 / G82 M4 Forum (2019+) Next Gen BMW M3 G80 prototype breaks cover!

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      12-09-2017, 04:38 AM   #89
Colinv6
Colonel
Colinv6's Avatar
United Kingdom
2292
Rep
2,203
Posts

Drives: San Marino Blue M4CS
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Scotland

iTrader: (0)

Exciting stuff, feels so recently I was scanning the net daily for F80 prototypes.

Still thinking X3M/X5M for me next!
__________________
2018 M4CS

Instagram sanmarino_cs
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2017, 06:12 AM   #90
F30lolz
I can haz cheezburger?
F30lolz's Avatar
United_States
2795
Rep
2,127
Posts

Drives: 09 335i/11 CTS Coupe/15 428 GC
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Miami, FL

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2015 428 GC  [0.00]
2009 335i  [0.00]
2011 CTS Coupe  [0.00]
Please BMW, can we have an engine that doesn’t have crank hub issues, rod bearing issues, Nikasil blocks, etc..?

Thanks!
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaptorKTM View Post
So there is actually more of a chance to get more hp out of a 330 then a 335 in my opinion
Appreciate 2
Brake_Late1874.50
CLEANM413.50

      12-09-2017, 07:38 AM   #91
CHE///MIST3
Lieutenant
CHE///MIST3's Avatar
United_States
276
Rep
540
Posts

Drives: E92 M3 6MT Space/Black
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Houston, TX

iTrader: (6)

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
2007 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Wow, these production runs are getting much shorter...the E9X M3 was produced 2007-2013! The F8X, 2015-2018 ?

GM
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2017, 08:03 AM   #92
mkoesel
Moderator
United_States
5460
Rep
18,444
Posts

Drives: No BMW for now
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Canton, MI

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHE///MIST3 View Post
Wow, these production runs are getting much shorter...the E9X M3 was produced 2007-2013! The F8X, 2015-2018?
No. It is a common mistake to confuse the production window of one model with the production window of the model family.

E90 M3: 2008 - 2011 (MY2008 - MY2011)
E92/3 M3: 2008 - 2013 (MY2008 - MY2013)

F80 M3: 2014 - 2018 (MY2015 - MY2018)
F82/3 M4: 2014 - 2020 (MY2015 - MY2020)

So, the reality is the F8x M3/M4 will actually be in production roughly a year longer than their E9x M3 counterparts.

FAQ:

Q: Why do the two-door M models go longer?
A: Because the Series two-door models they are based on go later.

Q: Ok, but why do the Series two-door models go later?
A: Because they debut later.

Q: Alright, but why do they debut later?
A: Because auto manufacturers stagger product releases to minimize risk and spread costs.

Q: Fine. But then why doesn't the M3 sedan start commensurately sooner?
A: Because of the familial shared parts that are plucked from the late-arriving Series two-door.

Q: Wow, that’s a bummer for sedan buyers. Will they ever rectify this?
A: Only if M3 revenue were to become large enough to warrant separation from the M4.
Appreciate 7
JustChris8226.00
Xtabi1589.00
Ibiza1073.00
duky651.50
CLEANM413.50

      12-09-2017, 08:42 AM   #93
georgere
Lieutenant Colonel
georgere's Avatar
United_States
505
Rep
1,877
Posts

Drives: 2016 M3 BSM
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Stamford CT

iTrader: (1)

No hips but rear end is looking nice....
__________________
My 1st love was 2006 BMW 325i Sport + Prem 6MT but I married the 2016 M3 BSM MDCT.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2017, 09:02 AM   #94
erictrainer
Private First Class
118
Rep
151
Posts

Drives: 16 F80 6MT MG on SO
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Miami

iTrader: (4)

Very interesting I knew this was the way it went, had never heard the actual explanation...points to you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
No. It is a common mistake to confuse the production window of one model with the production window of the model family.

E90 M3: 2008 - 2011 (MY2008 - MY2011)
E92/3 M3: 2008 - 2013 (MY2008 - MY2013)

F80 M3: 2014 - 2018 (MY2015 - MY2018)
F82/3 M4: 2014 - 2020 (MY2015 - MY2020)

So, the reality is the F8x M3/M4 will actually be in production roughly a year longer than their E9x M3 counterparts.

FAQ:

Q: Why do the two-door M models go longer?
A: Because the Series two-door models they are based on go later.

Q: Ok, but why do the Series two-door models go later?
A: Because they debut later.

Q: Alright, but why do they debut later?
A: Because auto manufacturers stagger product releases to minimize risk and spread costs.

Q: Fine. But then why doesn't the M3 sedan start commensurately sooner?
A: Because of the familial shared parts that are plucked from the late-arriving Series two-door.

Q: Wow, that’s a bummer for sedan buyers. Will they ever rectify this?
A: Only if M3 revenue were to become large enough to warrant separation from the M4.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2017, 09:23 AM   #95
Brake_Late
Brigadier General
Brake_Late's Avatar
Norway
1875
Rep
3,280
Posts

Drives: 2015 F82 M4 FIREORANGE2
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Manhattan Beach

iTrader: (1)

XDrive w manual please
__________________
Eendraght Maeckt Macht
FOF82,3pedals,MPE,CCBs,Multicams,
CarbonStrucktureAnthracite, CF_Everything
BMWPhotoVin, 01of01, GTS DCT, EPS, MDM,
CS EDC,Analog Dip ,GTS parts.
Euro Vin e30 M3, FIA cage / 14.7 p / w ratio.
Euro E30 touring G30 MSport i3s X5M

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClRTsfNzuz_EjUBu59UCykA
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2017, 09:53 AM   #96
FreudeamFahren18
Private
FreudeamFahren18's Avatar
36
Rep
68
Posts

Drives: 2018 F80
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Chicago

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHE///MIST3 View Post
Wow, these production runs are getting much shorter...the E9X M3 was produced 2007-2013! The F8X, 2015-2018 ?

GM
I was thinking the same
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2017, 10:15 AM   #97
XsltAnalyst
First Lieutenant
XsltAnalyst's Avatar
343
Rep
388
Posts

Drives: 2016 F80, E36 Coupé
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Maryland

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguino View Post
What's the advantage for the end user?
The advantages of platform/drivetrain sharing come from economies for scale. Some obvious pros are:

Keeps the cost down for both the manufacturer and the end user.
R&D learned from higher end models trickle down faster
You essentially get more bang for the buck in lower priced models. For example, I believe same DCT and rear diff is used in both M5 and M3, so when you buy an M3, at least in paper, you are getting over engineered components.
Better parts availability when it is time for service
Engine/gearbox tuning and upgrade costs will be lower
etc.

Some cons of sharing:
Defects will have a ripple effect
Smaller cars that share the same platform might end up becoming heavier than competition
Your car may not feel "special" or whatever that means

Anyway, no matter what, new M3 going to be better in every measurable way. Heck, I don't mind if they simply just drop in the new M5's AWD V8 drivetrain and just call it a day. But it looks like it'll share the engine with the X3M so most likely it will have an option for AWD.
If 911 can have AWD, M3 should have an optional AWD too, even if it rustles the jimmies of so called purists.
Appreciate 3
Ibiza1073.00
xlover606.50

      12-09-2017, 10:19 AM   #98
Penguino
Captain
Penguino's Avatar
451
Rep
941
Posts

Drives: A car.
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Here

iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by XsltAnalyst View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguino View Post
What's the advantage for the end user?
The advantages of platform/drivetrain sharing come from economies for scale. Some obvious pros are:

Keeps the cost down for both the manufacturer and the end user.
R&D learned from higher end models trickle down faster
You essentially get more bang for the buck in lower priced models. For example, I believe same DCT and rear diff is used in both M5 and M3, so when you buy an M3, at least in paper, you are getting over engineered components.
Better parts availability when it is time for service
Engine/gearbox tuning and upgrade costs will be lower
etc.

Some cons of sharing:
Defects will have a ripple effect
Smaller cars that share the same platform might end up becoming heavier than competition
Your car may not feel "special" or whatever that means

Anyway, no matter what, new M3 going to be better in every measurable way. Heck, I don't mind if they simply just drop in the new M5's AWD V8 drivetrain and just call it a day. But it looks like it'll share the engine with the X3M so most likely it will have an option for AWD.
If 911 can have AWD, M3 should have an optional AWD too, even if it rustles the jimmies of so called purists.
Very speculative post. I do believe you have not own an M and the F80 is your first M. M stands for exclusivity. Owners aren't looking to share interiors, engines, suspension components, chassis etc with other platforms. None of the previous E90 owners that I know currently own F80/F82. This new parts bin concept has work for BMW to expand its market share to new customers but has loyal the most sacred thing a brand can have: Customer Loyalty
__________________
"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance."
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2017, 10:26 AM   #99
XsltAnalyst
First Lieutenant
XsltAnalyst's Avatar
343
Rep
388
Posts

Drives: 2016 F80, E36 Coupé
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Maryland

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3welt View Post
Not a fan of an xdrive M3/4. Get an Audi if you suck at driving or drive in the snow. M3 is supposed to be a fun lightweight sedan. Not a do everything car.
If 911 can have an optional AWD then I think M3 should have one too.
Appreciate 2
      12-09-2017, 10:29 AM   #100
tareemaa
Bimmer Fanatic
United_States
226
Rep
1,492
Posts

Drives: M3
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Chicago

iTrader: (6)

AWD that can be switched off, 6MT, 500 hp. Sounds like a winning mix to me, I haven't tested an F80 ZCP but my base F80 had a tough time putting down that power, I'm all for awd with high HP high torque cars.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2017, 10:49 AM   #101
Lt1camaro
First Lieutenant
Iran
140
Rep
374
Posts

Drives: 2016 535i, 2015 435i, 2013 M3
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Ontario, Canada

iTrader: (1)

Only time I will consider the AWD as being acceptable for the M3/M4 platform is when you can do RWD mode in MDM and not completely turn off traction. No one wants to drive an m5 with 600hp without traction control in order to get the feeling of driving rwd, so that feature is rarely ever going to get used.
__________________
Current Car List
2018 F82 M4 ZCP - Austin Yellow
2018 X3 M40i- Alpine White
2018 Audi RS3- Ara Blue
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2017, 10:59 AM   #102
5soko
Brigadier General
5soko's Avatar
239
Rep
4,547
Posts

Drives: M5
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Brooklyn, NY

iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt1camaro View Post
Only time I will consider the AWD as being acceptable for the M3/M4 platform is when you can do RWD mode in MDM and not completely turn off traction. No one wants to drive an m5 with 600hp without traction control in order to get the feeling of driving rwd, so that feature is rarely ever going to get used.
100% agree... I think alot of people are missing this fine detail.. That a BIG BIG issue, and kinda pointless.
__________________
Current: E63S AMG 4matic RENNtech || M5 Evolve..Eventuri || F10 LCI 535i JB4
Previous: E92 N54 335i ||| FBO E90 LCI M-Sport 335i N54
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2017, 11:35 AM   #103
dmboone25
Major General
dmboone25's Avatar
United_States
4370
Rep
9,904
Posts

Drives: 2017 F80 M3 ZCP/DUC M1200S
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Dallas, TX

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2007 E92 328i  [0.00]
2007 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt1camaro View Post
Only time I will consider the AWD as being acceptable for the M3/M4 platform is when you can do RWD mode in MDM and not completely turn off traction. No one wants to drive an m5 with 600hp without traction control in order to get the feeling of driving rwd, so that feature is rarely ever going to get used.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5soko View Post
100% agree... I think alot of people are missing this fine detail.. That a BIG BIG issue, and kinda pointless.
I agree with you both, that having a true RWD option, with the ability to have the nannies on or not, is what they will need to include if they want people to get on board with the idea on an M3/4.

But I don't have much hope for that - given the shift we are seeing, in terms of the "sharing" between standard cars and M cars, I wouldn't be surprised at all if the M3/4 follow the M5's script. I mean, BMW has already developed the requisite software and whatnot. If they can't even be bothered to have a new, exciting engine for the M3/4 or M5, why they hell would they bother with a different AWD --> RWD setup?

Just my $.02...
__________________
Past rides: 2015 981 CS, 2014 F22 235, 2011 E82 135, 2008 E82 135, 2007 E92 328, 2007 E92 328 (My lady drives an OG M2. So does my dad)
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2017, 12:03 PM   #104
Transfer
Brigadier General
Transfer's Avatar
United_States
2212
Rep
4,245
Posts

Drives: M340i, E92 M3, B9 SQ5
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Issaquah, WA

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5soko View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt1camaro View Post
Only time I will consider the AWD as being acceptable for the M3/M4 platform is when you can do RWD mode in MDM and not completely turn off traction. No one wants to drive an m5 with 600hp without traction control in order to get the feeling of driving rwd, so that feature is rarely ever going to get used.
100% agree... I think alot of people are missing this fine detail.. That a BIG BIG issue, and kinda pointless.
Just modulate the throttle. I mean, F1 drivers do it...
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2017, 12:07 PM   #105
Mantii
Lieutenant
Mantii's Avatar
United_States
306
Rep
456
Posts

Drives: F80 M3/E46 M3
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Des Moines, IA

iTrader: (3)

I love M but I don't think this new generation will be for me. It's going in a direction that just isnt pleasing to me. I will keep my e46 till the wheels fall off. Enjoyed my F80 but sold it after a year of ownership.
Looking to get into a Porsche next, even though some of the "lower" models are a bit stale as well.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2017, 12:13 PM   #106
KevinM
Colonel
KevinM's Avatar
2044
Rep
2,845
Posts

Drives: 2002 M5;2007 M Coupe;2020 M2C
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Tucson

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
-- choice of 6 speed manual or 8 speed automatic
-- may be optional AWD M xDrive (as used on the F90 M5)
__________________
2020 F87 M2C Hockenheim Silver/MT
2002 E39 M5 Sterling Gray/Caramel
2007 E86 Z4M Coupe Silver Gray/Black
2016 F80 M3 ZCP MG/Golden Brown/6MT European Delivery Thread - gone
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2017, 12:22 PM   #107
Ghetto2315
Colonel
United_States
780
Rep
2,365
Posts

Drives: 16' BMW i8
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: The REAL Jersey Shore

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
My list of wants/needs:

1.) 500 HP / 450 TQ (Give or Take)
2.) Weigh less than 3,500 LBS
3.) 6MT Option
4.) AWD option
5.) Finally a brutish exhaust
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2017, 12:30 PM   #108
5soko
Brigadier General
5soko's Avatar
239
Rep
4,547
Posts

Drives: M5
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Brooklyn, NY

iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transfer View Post
Just modulate the throttle. I mean, F1 drivers do it...

I like being able to cheat MDM and RWD with alot of power.. I want to be as lazy as i want, irresponsible with the throttle and not get in trouble
__________________
Current: E63S AMG 4matic RENNtech || M5 Evolve..Eventuri || F10 LCI 535i JB4
Previous: E92 N54 335i ||| FBO E90 LCI M-Sport 335i N54
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2017, 12:36 PM   #109
5soko
Brigadier General
5soko's Avatar
239
Rep
4,547
Posts

Drives: M5
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Brooklyn, NY

iTrader: (4)

If they do use a Modified B58 version to power the next M3, S58, i wonder if it will have any new tech that we can actually use and feel as a driver.

The S55 already has the B58's closed deck, mechanical pump with map thermostat, multiple electric coolant pumps, indirect charge air cooling, arc sprayed cylinder liners and etc.
There has been changes to vanos location to the rear but same principle operation, and there also has been changes in the B58 to a valvetronic4 but again, about the same operating principle with nothing ground breaking there.

The S55 is based off the N55, but also took alot of the B58's tech prior to its release..
My guess is there is gonna be a even smaller change from the B58 to the S58, compared to the N55 to S55 changes.
__________________
Current: E63S AMG 4matic RENNtech || M5 Evolve..Eventuri || F10 LCI 535i JB4
Previous: E92 N54 335i ||| FBO E90 LCI M-Sport 335i N54

Last edited by 5soko; 12-09-2017 at 01:04 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2017, 12:43 PM   #110
junx
Second Lieutenant
junx's Avatar
Canada
155
Rep
233
Posts

Drives: BMW
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Canada

iTrader: (0)

Can't wait to see 17 year olds zipping around in AW G30 M3s woohoo...nothing special about M3s anymore. Every rich kid has one.
__________________

'18 BMW ///M2 / Previous: '16 GTI, '14 M235i, '03 ///M3 Coupe
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:52 PM.




g20
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST