Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions MotorPress.ca M340i review

10-08-2019, 09:28 AM   #67
JTO24
never could compete with Lloyd Braun
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 M3 6MT

The ET is impressive but 111 mph vs 117-119 mph for the F80 is a big difference. On the street during the stop light grand prix, the M340xi would probably win 9 times out of 10 due to the grip of AWD out of the hole (again assuming stock for stock). However at higher speeds or highway pulls, the F80 would pull away.

Still, the M340(x)i is a great car it seems! As tempting as it is for a DD, I'm still holding out for the G80 as I do track every now and again.
2015 F80 M3 DCT | Tanzanite Blue | Gold Brown (sold)
2013 E92 M3 6MT | Mineral White | Fox Red/Black (sold)
Appreciate 1
      10-08-2019, 09:30 AM   #68
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by paliknight View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer456 View Post
Quote:
Assuming quarter mile time is the only performance metric you care about.
We will have to see which is faster on the Nuremburg.
I think the F80 would be faster around the track based on my experience driving them both (on the street) but I could be wrong. Who knows.
I been in a passenger seat of an M4 before, never actually drove it but I felt the pull and I feel like the M340i can pass or keep up with it. No BS.

Four door cars are not my thing since I have no kids and don't care to have any friends but dare anyone that underestimates the M340i to drive one first, don't just go off the numbers, actually take one in an empty back road or a highway at 3am, then come back and tell me it's not better or equivalent to a current generation M4.

I guarantee it would change your outlook.

Appreciate 1
Kingpin4383.00
      10-08-2019, 09:59 AM   #69
F82Tazmanian
Captain
Rep
Drives: M8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I think the F80 would be faster around the track based on my experience driving them both (on the street) but I could be wrong. Who knows.
I been in a passenger seat of an M4 before, never actually drove it but I felt the pull and I feel like the M340i can pass or keep up with it. No BS.

Four door cars are not my thing since I have no kids and don't care to have any friends but dare anyone that underestimates the M340i to drive one first, don't just go off the numbers, actually take one in an empty back road or a highway at 3am, then come back and tell me it's not better or equivalent to a current generation M4.

I have not driven any gen of a 3 series that matched an M3 in raw feel. Power and numbers are one thing but don't always translate to control feel. I left an M for my recent 440i and as much as I loved my car, it is not even close. Hence why I lease swapped the 440i and grabbed a F80.
Appreciate 1
      10-08-2019, 10:10 AM   #70
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 440iGCCB View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I have not driven any gen of a 3 series that matched an M3 in raw feel. Power and numbers are one thing but don't always translate to control feel. I left an M for my recent 440i and as much as I loved my car, it is not even close. Hence why I lease swapped the 440i and grabbed a F80.
The M340i has the same exact electronic torque-vectoring rear diff, active dampers and large brakes, not to mention loud-ass burbles in Sport Plus/Individual as any official M car.

I had this vehicle effortlessly sliding around turns without any hesitation, I can't see how an F80 can be discernible better unless you're arguing rawness i.e. loud and harsh.

This is unlike a 440i with an open diff, it's a completely different animal and closer to whatever an officially-branded M car goes for nowadays.

A vehicle is a machine, with is a sum of parts working together. In theory, if two vehicle share the same underling technology and parts, I don't see how they can differ in performance.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2019, 10:28 AM   #71
F82Tazmanian
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

The M340i has the same exact electronic torque-vectoring rear diff, active dampers and large brakes, not to mention loud-ass burbles in Sport Plus/Individual as any official M car.

I had this vehicle effortlessly sliding around turns without any hesitation, I can't see how an F80 can be discernible better unless you're arguing rawness i.e. loud and harsh.

This is unlike a 440i with an open diff, it's a completely different animal and closer to whatever an officially-branded M car goes for nowadays.

A vehicle is a machine, with is a sum of parts working together. In theory, if two vehicle share the same underling technology and parts, I don't see how they can differ in performance.
I appreciate your response and am in no way an engineer.

You are forgetting bushings, control arms, sway bars, suspension geometry, tire setup, camber, cooling, differential settings, DSC settings, damper settings (similar to the big difference between a standard an ZCP F80). M3 is a track level machine and tuned to a different level.

I've fully modified my 335is years back and it still couldn't touch a M3 in balance and control feel. I've driven an xdrive M340i and I'd love if it felt like an M3 so I could have the latest tech and car, but that is just not true.

We will have to agree to disagree.
Appreciate 4
Poochie9099.00
Sedan_Clan24829.00
      10-08-2019, 10:33 AM   #72
mcjohnsonsg
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M340 xdrive

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Ok, I have an M340, not an M4, and I would never claim that the M340 is as good as the current M4. Like you, I have ridden in an M4 many times (my brother has an M4 Competition), but not driven it much. Yes, the M340 pulls in a similar way up to 60 or so, but above that the M4 is the clear winner. And in handling terms, there is clear air between them too.

I love my M340, but let's not get too crazy with the superlatives and M4 comparisons, particularly if you haven't driven an M4 yourself. This only plays into the hands of those who think the "M" Performance badging is sacrilege and foreshadowing the end of the world!
Appreciate 2
amrh296.50
      10-08-2019, 10:36 AM   #73
F82Tazmanian
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcjohnsonsg View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Ok, I have an M340, not an M4, and I would never claim that the M340 is as good as the current M4. Like you, I have ridden in an M4 many times (my brother has an M4 Competition), but not driven it much. Yes, the M340 pulls in a similar way up to 60 or so, but above that the M4 is the clear winner. And in handling terms, there is clear air between them too.

I love my M340, but let's not get too crazy with the superlatives and M4 comparisons, particularly if you haven't driven an M4 yourself. This only plays into the hands of those who think the "M" Performance badging is sacrilege and foreshadowing the end of the world!
Thank you for this.

I came from more 3 series than Ms and have equal respect for them in their own right. Just different purposes but both fantastic machines.

Enjoy the new car!
Appreciate 1
      10-08-2019, 10:45 AM   #74
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

You are forgetting bushings, control arms, sway bars, suspension geometry, tire setup, camber, cooling, differential settings, DSC settings, damper settings (similar to the big difference between a standard an ZCP F80). M3 is a track level machine and tuned to a different level.

I forgot the M340i is designed by GmbH of Kia, suspension components are held together by Play-Doh and handles like a rickshaw.

Look, I don't care for either vehicle but fair is fair, it's a high-performing machine that could satisfy your every need, including lite tracking.

That is, if you don't live you life your life a quarter mile at a time or need the endorsement of a officially-marketed M car.

But respectfully, lets leave it at that.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2019, 12:09 PM   #75
gpdriver17
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Quote:
F80 M3 numbers. Goes to show you the difference X-drive makes.
I ran a 12.4 in my M340i, with a 2 second 60ft time (not on a track). Pretty sure an M340i could get a 12.0 - 12.2 on a prepped surface. People will be breaking into the 11's stock. Someone just ran a 12.0 in an M340xi. The right track with the right conditions should put these cars into the 11's.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2019, 12:14 PM   #76
gpdriver17
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTO24 View Post
The ET is impressive but 111 mph vs 117-119 mph for the F80 is a big difference. On the street during the stop light grand prix, the M340xi would probably win 9 times out of 10 due to the grip of AWD out of the hole (again assuming stock for stock). However at higher speeds or highway pulls, the F80 would pull away.

Still, the M340(x)i is a great car it seems! As tempting as it is for a DD, I'm still holding out for the G80 as I do track every now and again.
Mine trapped at 114.5 with a bad launch, 91 octane and an engine that's barely broken in. They may be getting pretty close to the F80.

On the street, normal driving, the M340 will perform better than an M3 or even M5. I actually did a test the other day because my M340 felt faster than my M5 from 40-60, when cruising at ~40 then stepping on it. Confirmed this with a dragy. It got from 40-50 in 3/4 of the time it takes the M5! And beats it to 60, by 1 100th of a second lol. But the point is, these cars just go when you step on it. I feel like the M's take a while for the turbos to spool up (and for the M3/4 to get traction). Day to day driving, the M340 wins. On a track the F80 M3/4 wins, but not by much!
Appreciate 2
JTO245246.50
Vervain396.50
      10-08-2019, 12:24 PM   #77
535i MSport
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2017 C63S T

It would be great fun to meet at the Nurburgring to test the M340i and F80 comp, back to back.

And then done with that, roll out the G80, which might quieten a few people 😁

2017 C63S T 510PS
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2019, 01:24 PM   #78
Transfer
Major General
Rep
Drives: Bronco Wildtrak, Tesla MYP

There is an E92 M3 vs M340 discussion going on in the E9x vs forum. I think these two are more closely related in performance than F8x. Both E9x and F8x Ms FEEL different then the M340 in terms of emotion and handling FEEL but for a purely street driven car I'm giving up the M3 feel for the highly capable yet comfortable M-performance option. On the street including corners and up to 100 mph I can drive my M340i xDrive faster than my E92 M3, both with PS4S tires.
Appreciate 1
clee1982796.00
      10-08-2019, 01:48 PM   #79
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Threads like these remind me of the threads that occurred when the E46 ZHP 330i and E9X 335i/is were introduced.
Appreciate 3
JTO245246.50
clee1982796.00
ra2289302.00
      10-08-2019, 02:16 PM   #80
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
Threads like these remind me of the threads that occurred when the E46 ZHP 330i and E9X 335i/is were introduced.
Just thinking the same thing, before getting to your post.

Also got to ask, why so much comparison? And why to the F80... seems meaningless to me? Wait for the G80, then compare.
Appreciate 3
JTO245246.50
Sedan_Clan24829.00
ra2289302.00
      10-08-2019, 02:27 PM   #81
JTO24
never could compete with Lloyd Braun
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
So happy to be done with the days of E9x M3 vs 335i comparisons lol had both; the M3 is/was better (for me) in every way.
2015 F80 M3 DCT | Tanzanite Blue | Gold Brown (sold)
2013 E92 M3 6MT | Mineral White | Fox Red/Black (sold)
Appreciate 4
Sedan_Clan24829.00
ra2289302.00
scrammer420.50
      10-08-2019, 07:04 PM   #82
georgere
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 BSM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Absolutely no way. Stock f80 m3 vs stock g20 m340 - g20 loses. It may win e90 m3 though but I don't know.
How do I know f80 will win here? Because. It only it has more power, it has rubber wheels suspension body position, lightweight etc all designed to win. Launch control will make it lead also, assuming DCT.

I just moved on from f80 into m550 and despite 5er having more power and quicker 0-60 it is not a car to win races unless they are street races.

Ps m550 is a better car but it is not a better competitor if you k so what I mean. Sorry for driving off topic but I don't have experience with 340 but have experience with similar package and concepts on 5 series
      10-08-2019, 08:02 PM   #83
Transfer
Major General
Rep
Drives: Bronco Wildtrak, Tesla MYP

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTO24 View Post
So happy to be done with the days of E9x M3 vs 335i comparisons lol had both; the M3 is/was better (for me) in every way.
Those two were worlds apart. The M340i brings the 3 series quite a bit closer to big M territory. Especially compared to E9x M3 but F8x is still the current king, only to be unseated by G8x.
Appreciate 1
JTO245246.50
      10-09-2019, 01:32 AM   #84
Fuller
Major
Rep
Drives: F36 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by princefemi View Post
Quote:
No point in buying the old M3 if you can get the same numbers with x drive. Also just posted is the KBB comparo with the G70, I want to know what the nuremburg lap times are for the G70 to see a true comparison, I bet this car is faster, jutifying the $6k price difference when comparing starting price of 3.3t to starting price of M340i.
The f80 looks 10 times better. F80 is a sports car, the M340i is a luxury car with some sporting attributes. Very different type of cars targeting different type of customers. The f80 is not for everyone, whereas m340i is designed more for mass appeal. A comparison of the two is truly like comparing apples and oranges and the existence of an m340i doesn't make an m3 or m4 purposeless.
Additionally, the f80 and f82 are from the previous generation. The g80/82 will likely widen the performance gap.
Appreciate 1
JTO245246.50
      10-09-2019, 01:43 AM   #85
Fuller
Major
Rep
Drives: F36 435i

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I appreciate your response and am in no way an engineer.

I've fully modified my 335is years back and it still couldn't touch a M3 in balance and control feel. I've driven an xdrive M340i and I'd love if it felt like an M3 so I could have the latest tech and car, but that is just not true.

We will have to agree to disagree.
The m3 and m4 coupe weigh significantly less than an m340i as well. The m-cars also have a lower center of gravity.

The m340i is outstanding for its segment, and more than enough performance for most motorists, but the m2/3/4 are more focused on performance in a holistic way.
Appreciate 4
Sedan_Clan24829.00
JTO245246.50
amrh296.50
      10-09-2019, 08:05 AM   #86
paliknight
fuck this field
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 F80 CS/18 F80 ZCP/19 M2C

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I did do that and that's what I was basing my comment on. But you know how butt dynos are
      10-09-2019, 08:08 AM   #87
paliknight
fuck this field
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 F80 CS/18 F80 ZCP/19 M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgere View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Absolutely no way. Stock f80 m3 vs stock g20 m340 - g20 loses. It may win e90 m3 though but I don't know.
How do I know f80 will win here? Because. It only it has more power, it has rubber wheels suspension body position, lightweight etc all designed to win. Launch control will make it lead also, assuming DCT.

I just moved on from f80 into m550 and despite 5er having more power and quicker 0-60 it is not a car to win races unless they are street races.

Ps m550 is a better car but it is not a better competitor if you k so what I mean. Sorry for driving off topic but I don't have experience with 340 but have experience with similar package and concepts on 5 series
What do you mean no way? You said the same thing I did but in more detail lol.
      10-09-2019, 11:35 AM   #88
535i MSport
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2017 C63S T

Quote:
Quote:
I doubt it, but maybe at the Nurburgring.

Nuremberg is well known for certain trials after the end of WW2, whereas Neurburg is the home of "the green hell" and yes some people have been known to travel to the wrong one too!

There are in fact two race tracks at the same location- the Nordschleife (North loop) is the one you want that you can drive your own car around, whilst the GP circuit is a more traditional circuit, albeit there are occasional opportunities to lap that one too. There is also a 24 hour race that even combines them, which must be incredible. I have driven the Nordschleife, but not the GP circuit, albeit there was a PC based game that BMW released some years back, where you could race a E92 M3 around there.

https://www.nuerburgring.de/en/fans-...dschleife.html

So don't just talk it, go and visit, Europe has a lot to offer!

But don't crash like this guy did...
Attached Images

2017 C63S T 510PS
Appreciate 0