Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Photography/Videography Anyone here shoot film?

01-03-2016, 10:03 AM   #1
ahero4eternity
Major
Rep
Drives: bmw

Anyone here shoot film?

It's the hipster thing to do, after all.
Appreciate 1
      01-04-2016, 06:40 PM   #2
ahero4eternity
Major
Rep

Guess that's a no.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2016, 06:55 PM   #3
The Wind Breezes
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i N55 DCT

Yeah, not for a little while, though, just doing digital IR with my self-modded D5100 if anything lately. I like shooting color slide film in medium format although I sold my medium format a while ago when I needed cash. Develop all film myself including color slide.

The REASON I shoot film is because even 35MM has great resolution and dynamic range compared to consumer digital. It's also kind of fun to develop and look at the slides.
Appreciate 1
      01-05-2016, 06:03 AM   #4
RABAUKE
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993, 2014 MB GLK

I used to shoot a lot of film, and still have a few old Nikon bodies and lenses. I got a Nikon D300 a few years back and love that I can shoot all day long without the concern of running out of film. I think I still think like a film guy, I can get more out of film but I think I'll stick with digital given the cost of developing.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2016, 09:42 PM   #5
ahero4eternity
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wind Breezes View Post
Yeah, not for a little while, though, just doing digital IR with my self-modded D5100 if anything lately. I like shooting color slide film in medium format although I sold my medium format a while ago when I needed cash. Develop all film myself including color slide.

The REASON I shoot film is because even 35MM has great resolution and dynamic range compared to consumer digital. It's also kind of fun to develop and look at the slides.
Developing slide is something I wish to learn. I've been shooting film off/on for about 6 years - primarily B&W that I develop myself, occasionally color and slide that I send to my local camera store.

I primarily shoot MF because I like the ergonomics of TLRs - have a Rollei 2.8E and 3.5E, Hassie 500c/m, and Mamiya C220/RB67/M645. I use the Rolleis the most.

When it comes to 35mm, I stick with my Leica M3/M6 or Contax G1, but mostly the Leicas as I like the ergonomics and "rangefinder experience."

For me, it's not really about the resolution. I just like the, as you can guess, ergonomics of older, especially full mechanical cameras. It's more about the journey than the destination. I find modern cameras boring to use, but every film camera I've used has it's own character and quirks, which I find fun.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2016, 09:46 PM   #6
ahero4eternity
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RABAUKE View Post
I used to shoot a lot of film, and still have a few old Nikon bodies and lenses. I got a Nikon D300 a few years back and love that I can shoot all day long without the concern of running out of film. I think I still think like a film guy, I can get more out of film but I think I'll stick with digital given the cost of developing.
I shoot digital purely for convenience (as I'm sure many, like you, do). I don't necessarily mind the monetary cost of shooting film, but the time it takes to process and scan can be a burden. I like developing, but I HATE scanning.

When it comes to digital, I shoot with Fujis (X Pro1/X100s/X-T1) and a Leica M9 when I feel like it. The Fujis have completely replaced my full frame Canon setup. They're not quite on par with DSLRs yet, but they are damn near close and it won't be long until mirrorless becomes the future (IMO). The dynamic range and ISO performance of my Fujis far surpasses my old 5D mk2.

I've toyed with getting back into DSLR, but I feel too touristy lugging one around everyday. The Fujis and Leicas are just smaller, lighter, and easier to be a part of my EDC.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2016, 09:56 PM   #7
The Wind Breezes
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i N55 DCT

Developing slide is extremely easy. If you can develop B&W you can do it in your kitchen sink. You just need good temperature control and ability to follow easy instructions. I used Arista E-6, just google it.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2016, 09:59 PM   #8
ahero4eternity
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wind Breezes View Post
Developing slide is extremely easy. If you can develop B&W you can do it in your kitchen sink. You just need good temperature control and ability to follow easy instructions. I used Arista E-6, just google it.
It's just come down to laziness. I know I can do it if I just take the time to learn it.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2016, 10:26 PM   #9
Diver
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Black '12 135i - Sold

Nope. Haven't done it in ages. I think there are some possibilities for B&W in 6x6 and 6x7 formats, but for color and 135 format, digital rules. Just my opinion, I don't make the rules.
      01-06-2016, 03:27 PM   #10
GrantE83
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 E83

Just picked up a canon EOS 5 35mm film camera

Fujifilm X Trail 400 speed
Appreciate 2
      01-06-2016, 04:49 PM   #11
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i , '15 X3 35i

My Rollei comes out occasionally. I had a Contax Aria with some Zeiss lenses but sold them off, I liked the camera but I had gathered quite a collection of Canon lenses for my digital and went with a Canon film body instead. I probably should have kept some of the Zeiss glass but I don't pixel peep and the Canon lenses are L's and have been plenty good, even the intangible bokeh.

I would normally shoot B&W and develop at home, then take to a local school to use their enlargers and chemicals and such to make prints. Haven't shot film in about a year though so... not sure if I can say AI actually shoot film any more or not.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2016, 05:15 PM   #12
Wolfgang Schneiderhan
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i (E90/N51)

I have a Swiss made Bolex H-16 (movie camera) and have shot a couple of rolls on it. It's fun but I have to say, the cost of film+processing will make your eyes water.
      01-06-2016, 09:32 PM   #13
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahero4eternity View Post
ahero4eternity
That SN brings back memories.... G35Diver?
'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2016, 10:05 PM   #14
ahero4eternity
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by inTgr8r
Quote:
ahero4eternity
That SN brings back memories.... G35Diver?
Ian???
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2016, 10:23 PM   #15
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Ian???
yes sir
Appreciate 1
      01-06-2016, 10:27 PM   #16
ahero4eternity
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by inTgr8r
Quote:
Ian???
yes sir
I've run into a few peeps from 'Driver on here. Small world. Are you still and active Admin there or are you Alumni now?
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2016, 07:28 AM   #17
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I've run into a few peeps from 'Driver on here. Small world. Are you still and active Admin there or are you Alumni now?
Yeah, same here, found a few that are here.

I've been Alumni for a long time now, about the time that Tian took the reins.
I really haven't kept up to date with things over there.
It's good to hear from you again.

.......[thread back on topic]

I haven't shot film for a number of years now (many)
Glad to see there is still some interest in film media, it's a completely different experience.

Sub'd
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2016, 09:46 PM   #18
dcstep
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
Quote:

I've toyed with getting back into DSLR, but I feel too touristy lugging one around everyday. The Fujis and Leicas are just smaller, lighter, and easier to be a part of my EDC.
You shoot TLRs and you're concerned about "lugging" a dslr?? My first camera, about 57 years ago, was a Yashica TLR. It served me well in its time.

I'll take the Canon 5DsR everywhere, including dinner. You get over the self-conscious "touristy" feel after a few years.

Have fun with film. I lived through it and have no desire to go back.
      01-08-2016, 11:29 PM   #19
ahero4eternity
Major
Rep

I shot with a 5d mk2 for years. Had all the L glass I wanted (well, never got that 85L mk2). The results were technically fine. Probably too technical. Too clinical.

Like I said, for me it's more about the process than the results. Don't get me wrong, results matter. Just not as much as the process to me.

DSLRs...I'm indecisive. And that's a fault of my own - not DSLRs. I can never figure which lens to bring, so I always end up bringing 2-3, which I never use. TLRs (with the exception of Mamiya) simply things for me. Leica....the glass is so small and light that I can afford to bring a second lens comfortably in my pocket.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2016, 11:43 PM   #20
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep
Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo

I inherited a Canon A-1 and a few FD lenses from my father a few years ago, but haven't really used them.

I think I should, I just don't find myself taking random days to wander around and shoot.

Appreciate 0
      01-12-2016, 11:37 AM   #21
dcstep
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
Quote:
I shot with a 5d mk2 for years. Had all the L glass I wanted (well, never got that 85L mk2). The results were technically fine. Probably too technical. Too clinical.

Like I said, for me it's more about the process than the results. Don't get me wrong, results matter. Just not as much as the process to me.

DSLRs...I'm indecisive. And that's a fault of my own - not DSLRs. I can never figure which lens to bring, so I always end up bringing 2-3, which I never use. TLRs (with the exception of Mamiya) simply things for me. Leica....the glass is so small and light that I can afford to bring a second lens comfortably in my pocket.
Lots of guys shoot with one lens, like a 35mm, 40mm or 50mm, or a zoom, and make the lens on the camera work. If you want to try again at working digital into your process, then you might try that.

Too clinical? Well, I assume you're shooting Raw; therefore, you're in control of the final product. Maybe you're pushing sliders too far to the right and getting overly sharp and overly saturated results. I keep Saturation below 5 except on the grayest days. Generally extra sharpening is not needed.

Dave
      01-12-2016, 12:28 PM   #22
ahero4eternity
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstep
Quote:

Lots of guys shoot with one lens, like a 35mm, 40mm or 50mm, or a zoom, and make the lens on the camera work. If you want to try again at working digital into your process, then you might try that.

Too clinical? Well, I assume you're shooting Raw; therefore, you're in control of the final product. Maybe you're pushing sliders too far to the right and getting overly sharp and overly saturated results. I keep Saturation below 5 except on the grayest days. Generally extra sharpening is not needed.

Dave
I typically don't process my photos. Used Photoshop and Lightroom for years. Gave them both up a long time ago. Sitting behind a computer to edit pictures isn't really my thing.

I can't stress enough. It's about the process/journey for me.

Some people prefer to use their phones to tell time. I prefer a mechanical watch. Some people prefer to shoot digital. I prefer to shoot analog.

I don't think one is ultimately better than the other. Just different.
Appreciate 0