Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Cosmetic Care & Detailing (PPF/Wash/Wax/Detailing/Restoration/Repairs) Full jet black wheels - what do I need to know? (cosmetic, brake dust, cleaning, etc)

03-11-2021, 03:07 PM   #1
Rossodio
Lifelong BMW Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 340i

Full jet black wheels - what do I need to know? (cosmetic, brake dust, cleaning, etc)

As the title says... I take delivery of a factory ordered 2021 M340i on 3/15 with 19" 791M jet black wheels. Notably, I am taking the car in for ceramic coating - to include the wheels and their inner barrels along with the brake calipers as well.

With the current generation of BMW jet black wheels, what should I know about maintaining them that may be different from metallic colored wheels?

In particular -
- Can I use regular spray on wheel cleaner as can be done with other BMW OEM wheels?
- Even though they get ceramic coating, I am sure brake dust can still accumulate. Is it still as visible? Any more difficult to clean off?
- My understanding is that any curb rash is 800 times more painfully obvious on black wheels. If it occurs, is it as easy for a wheel shop to repair these wheels as it is other metallic wheels to original appearance?
- Anything else I should keep in mind or need to know about the jet black wheels that I might not be thinking about?

Not sure of how much of a faux pas it is at Bimmerpost, but I am cross-posting this in the wheels/tires forum here as well...

Thanks for any help you can give.
2018 340i - Melbourne Red/Venetian Beige Dakota Leather - 2018-March 2021
2021 M340i - Dravit Grey Metallic/Cognac Vernasca Leather - March 2021-Present
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2021, 01:56 PM   #2
thatg20guy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i

Garage List
I have the 791M jet black wheels and can speak to a few of your questions. My wheels are ceramic coated as well but honestly if you keep up a good wheel cleaning/car washing regimen (every few weeks), cleaning them won't take too much effort. My preferred wheel cleaner of choice is P&S Brake Buster, but I've also used Adam's Wheel Cleaner and CarPro IronX with no adverse effects. Brake Buster has really grown on me due to it's effectiveness even when diluted 5:1 - it's a pretty economical product to use and doesn't smell bad like the other two I mentioned!

However, that's not to say that you can just spray on wheel cleaner, spray off, and have perfectly clean wheels. Definitely need some TLC with wheel whoolies/EZ-Detail brush, a dedicated wheel wash mitt, and some small brushes.

I haven't noticed too much brake dust and black wheels might actually hide it better than light-colored silver wheels due to there being less visual contrast. Only thing I would comment is during this past winter, the wheels would look a lot dirtier from road salt than when I had silver wheels on my previous car, but that was it!
      03-12-2021, 04:01 PM   #3
Rossodio
Lifelong BMW Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatg20guy View Post
I have the 791M jet black wheels and can speak to a few of your questions. My wheels are ceramic coated as well but honestly if you keep up a good wheel cleaning/car washing regimen (every few weeks), cleaning them won't take too much effort. My preferred wheel cleaner of choice is P&S Brake Buster, but I've also used Adam's Wheel Cleaner and CarPro IronX with no adverse effects. Brake Buster has really grown on me due to it's effectiveness even when diluted 5:1 - it's a pretty economical product to use and doesn't smell bad like the other two I mentioned!

However, that's not to say that you can just spray on wheel cleaner, spray off, and have perfectly clean wheels. Definitely need some TLC with wheel whoolies/EZ-Detail brush, a dedicated wheel wash mitt, and some small brushes.

I haven't noticed too much brake dust and black wheels might actually hide it better than light-colored silver wheels due to there being less visual contrast. Only thing I would comment is during this past winter, the wheels would look a lot dirtier from road salt than when I had silver wheels on my previous car, but that was it!
I have seen some woolies at Amazon and have a good wash mitt, trying to figure out which woolies and detailing brushes to buy... Any recs? I am tired of using an old soft cloth and my hands to do the dirty work, it is a real pain in the butt.

Thankfully, I rarely have to drive anywhere where there is salt. It does get just cold enough to where the summer tires start acting up for maybe 20 or 30 total days a year, but not enough to justify winter tires. It is tough to decide whether to have summers for April-November and switch them out for all seasons Nov-Apr, or to just throw all seasons on for... all seasons. May go for Michelin Pilot All Season 4 ZP's if they come out with a compatible size for my ride come July of this year.
2018 340i - Melbourne Red/Venetian Beige Dakota Leather - 2018-March 2021
2021 M340i - Dravit Grey Metallic/Cognac Vernasca Leather - March 2021-Present
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2021, 05:22 PM   #4
Burrcold
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2024 M3 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossodio View Post
I have seen some woolies at Amazon and have a good wash mitt, trying to figure out which woolies and detailing brushes to buy... Any recs? I am tired of using an old soft cloth and my hands to do the dirty work, it is a real pain in the butt.

Thankfully, I rarely have to drive anywhere where there is salt. It does get just cold enough to where the summer tires start acting up for maybe 20 or 30 total days a year, but not enough to justify winter tires. It is tough to decide whether to have summers for April-November and switch them out for all seasons Nov-Apr, or to just throw all seasons on for... all seasons. May go for Michelin Pilot All Season 4 ZP's if they come out with a compatible size for my ride come July of this year.
I use the Chemical Guys wheel woolies (they come in a 3 pack with different sizes) on Amazon. They work great, and haven't broken down like some cheaper ones I've used in the past.
      03-13-2021, 05:43 PM   #5
thatg20guy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossodio View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatg20guy View Post

I just use an EZ Detail brush (the large size) - I got rid of my wheel whoolies from Adam's a while back after I realized I never use them since getting the EZ Detail brush.

Any good set of lug brushes on Amazon would work well, but I like the Detail Factory boars hair brushes - slightly pricey but work great and don't fall apart after a few months of washes.

I still use my hands and a 4 finger lamb skin mitt from Obsessed Garage for the face and spokes - I feel that does a far more thorough job than using brushes!
      03-13-2021, 09:13 PM   #6
themnmd
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 23 X5MC

Garage List
Clean wheels, ceramic coat them. Way easier to clean and stay cleaner. CarPro Iron X removes the break dust just fine for me.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2021, 06:37 AM   #7
seelark
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G20 330e M Sport Plus

I use this on my Bicolour 791s. Similar challenge 🤔

Spray, agitate, wash off.

It's amazing how much difference just having clean wheels alone makes when fighting the daily winter grime of having two Black BMWs on the drive 🙈
Attached Images

Appreciate 0