Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Technical Topics B58 6-Cylinder Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications M340 - JB4 Review

07-11-2020, 04:11 PM   #1
aeaustinG20
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M340

Recently installed the JB4 from Burger Tuning on my M340 (xdrive). Been running Map 1 & 2 for a few days. Initial thoughts on tune:

1. Super easy to install. I'm not much a DIY'er but with a couple YouTube videos it was a piece of cake.
2. Blue tooth adapter with iOS App = A+. Real time feed with the gauges is a very cool, and the ability to change maps and settings on the fly is impressive.
3. Power (even in Map 1) is serious. Instant power all through the bands; seamless shifting.
4. Ability to uninstall the tune when going in for a service; 👌🏽

Conclusion: If you're looking for a piggy back tune, this seems to be a great option. Very happy with the investment so far.
Appreciate 3
      07-11-2020, 10:01 PM   #2
Dravit_M340i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i Dravit Grey

This is one I am highly considering. Looking to stay piggy for the ability to uninstall. Glad you are enjoying it!
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2020, 10:30 PM   #3
nola2atx
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeaustinG20 View Post
Recently installed the JB4 from Burger Tuning on my M340 (xdrive). Been running Map 1 & 2 for a few days. Initial thoughts on tune:

1. Super easy to install. I'm not much a DIY'er but with a couple YouTube videos it was a piece of cake.
2. Blue tooth adapter with iOS App = A+. Real time feed with the gauges is a very cool, and the ability to change maps and settings on the fly is impressive.
3. Power (even in Map 1) is serious. Instant power all through the bands; seamless shifting.

Conclusion: If you're looking for a piggy back tune, this seems to be a great option. Very happy with the investment so far.
Any performance metrics to share?

My Exes:
E36, E46, F30
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2020, 09:55 AM   #4
aeaustinG20
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nola2atx View Post
Quote:

Any performance metrics to share?
Unfortunately no. I haven't really dug into the logs and have no current plans to dyno. Burger Tuning does claim gains up to 100hp at the crank on a stock car in an aggressive map though.

One of the options in the app display is ECU boost vs actual boost. This seems to be good way to compare vs stock in real-time.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-12-2020, 09:56 AM   #5
Fuel-It!
Banned
Rep
Drives: M4, M5, M2C, X4M, 440i, etc...

JB4 is a very advanced and well designed system, glad to read you're enjoying it.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2020, 10:02 AM   #6
aeaustinG20
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PETES_M340i View Post
This is one I am highly considering. Looking to stay piggy for the ability to uninstall. Glad you are enjoying it!
Thanks. You won't be disappointed.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2020, 03:12 PM   #7
Swagasaurus-R3X
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i

I called BMW last week to ask about flashing and different piggy back systems. Without me eluding about the JB4 they stated they see maybe 1 or 2 of them a year and can detect if a car has had a piggy back on it through the number of key cycles. I am not really educated in this but would like to know 100% if it can be detected because I would like to install the JB4 but don't want to risk warranty.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2020, 03:20 PM   #8
chenry
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swagasaurus-R3X View Post
I called BMW last week to ask about flashing and different piggy back systems. Without me eluding about the JB4 they stated they see maybe 1 or 2 of them a year and can detect if a car has had a piggy back on it through the number of key cycles. I am not really educated in this but would like to know 100% if it can be detected because I would like to install the JB4 but don't want to risk warranty.
yes 100% any engine mod can be detected if BMW wants to dig deep enough (piggyback or flash doesn't make a difference - question those that tell you otherwise) - that said are you likely to experience a catastrophic failure of a magnitude that would cause such a probe....not likely unless you move well beyond a simple AA/JB4/RaceChip (piggybacks) or flashes stage 1 or 2 (Mission Performance, BM3, MHD) etc . But given your question and your reference to 100% the answer is no - nothing is fool proof.

That said - keep in mind a piggyback or flash (either one detected) does not simply cancel your warranty - here in the US your mods only cancel the portion of your warranty that covers parts you may have compromised by making changes

Hope this helps a bit

Last edited by chenry; 07-13-2020 at 11:03 AM.. Reason: typo
Appreciate 2
      07-12-2020, 03:59 PM   #9
hayko_M340
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340I

Quote:

I also have a JB4 installed on my M340 as well. Love it but there are a few issues you may run into. Seems as if Jb4 isn’t as optimized for the M340 B58’s yet. On Map 5 with a E30 mix it’s a gamble whether the car will function properly or not. Throws a drivetrain malfunction for me and seems to be running quite lean most of the time. Map 1 & 2 with 91 pump are solid though, never had a issue. Only run into issues whenever I push it a little. Love it regardless highly recommend it but just give it time so they figure some stuff out. Let me know if you run into any similar issues.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2020, 10:41 PM   #10
Fuel-It!
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayko_M340 View Post
I also have a JB4 installed on my M340 as well. Love it but there are a few issues you may run into. Seems as if Jb4 isn’t as optimized for the M340 B58’s yet. On Map 5 with a E30 mix it’s a gamble whether the car will function properly or not. Throws a drivetrain malfunction for me and seems to be running quite lean most of the time. Map 1 & 2 with 91 pump are solid though, never had a issue. Only run into issues whenever I push it a little. Love it regardless highly recommend it but just give it time so they figure some stuff out. Let me know if you run into any similar issues.
Map5 is a pretty aggressive map! They have a G20 M340 for development purposes so if you need tuning help just get in contact with them.
Appreciate 1
      07-13-2020, 11:54 AM   #11
Swagasaurus-R3X
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by chenry View Post
yes 100% any engine mod can be detected if BMW wants to dig deep enough (piggyback or flash doesn't make a difference - question those that tell you otherwise) - that said are you likely to experience a catastrophic failure of a magnitude that would cause such a probe....not likely unless you move well beyond a simple AA/JB4/RaceChip (piggybacks) or flashes stage 1 or 2 (Mission Performance, BM3, MHD) etc . But given your question and your reference to 100% the answer is no - nothing is fool proof.

That said - keep in mind a piggyback or flash (either one detected) does not simply cancel your warranty - here in the US your mods only cancel the portion of your warranty that covers parts you may have compromised by making changes

Hope this helps a bit

This helps a lot. Thank you. Question though.... What portion of the warranty would be compromised with installing a JB4 and/or a flash tune?
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2020, 01:44 PM   #12
Antec800
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 340i x drive

The whole engine/turbo and possibly transmission/driveline warranty.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2020, 04:09 PM   #13
Fuel-It!
Banned
Rep

Quote:
yes 100% any engine mod can be detected if BMW wants to dig deep enough (piggyback or flash doesn't make a difference - question those that tell you otherwise) - t
I've heard people say the above but I don't understand why, there is virtually no similarities in how tunes are detected between a reflash and a JB4. With a reflash actual load and torque values are changed and the true higher than factory values are stored in the ECU, transmission computer, stability control computer, and others. These values stick out like a sore thumb during a routine scan.

With a JB4 or any well designed piggyback the ECU is never aware it's making more boost, load, or torque than factory so all these peak values remain at factory levels.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2020, 04:20 PM   #14
aeaustinG20
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayko_M340 View Post
Quote:

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind as I get more experience with the available map settings.

Map 1 & 2 with 93 octane have been flawless so far. As a daily driver, it's likely I won't be out of these two all that much.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2020, 10:54 AM   #15
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Congrats OP

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2020, 10:58 AM   #16
possible335i2008
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuel-It! View Post
Quote:
yes 100% any engine mod can be detected if BMW wants to dig deep enough (piggyback or flash doesn't make a difference - question those that tell you otherwise) - t
I've heard people say the above but I don't understand why, there is virtually no similarities in how tunes are detected between a reflash and a JB4. With a reflash actual load and torque values are changed and the true higher than factory values are stored in the ECU, transmission computer, stability control computer, and others. These values stick out like a sore thumb during a routine scan.

With a JB4 or any well designed piggyback the ECU is never aware it's making more boost, load, or torque than factory so all these peak values remain at factory levels.
Does anyone have any actual situations where an engine issue has occurred when a JB4 was installed and prior to warranty claim the JB4 was removed and BMWNA was not able to tell the vehicle had been modified?
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2020, 11:59 AM   #17
Fuel-It!
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by possible335i2008 View Post
Does anyone have any actual situations where an engine issue has occurred when a JB4 was installed and prior to warranty claim the JB4 was removed and BMWNA was not able to tell the vehicle had been modified?
No one is going to admit to warranty fraud in public but it's rare to find anyone who has ever been denied due to say a JB4 that was properly removed. Those who get flagged either have flash tunes or other mods like downpipes that are easily detected.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2020, 12:00 PM   #18
possible335i2008
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by possible335i2008 View Post
No one is going to admit to warranty fraud in public but it's rare to find anyone who has ever been denied due to say a JB4 that was properly removed. Those who get flagged either have flash tunes or other mods like downpipes that are easily detected.
Is there an engine failure thread anywhere for people tuned on a JB4/flash
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2020, 10:08 PM   #19
retart13
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: M340i Xdrive

Quote:
...or other mods like downpipes that are easily detected.
Downpipes are concern for warranty issues? I thought they were like an extension of bolt on exhausts?
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2020, 07:24 AM   #20
possible335i2008
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by retart13 View Post
Quote:
...or other mods like downpipes that are easily detected.
Downpipes are concern for warranty issues? I thought they were like an extension of bolt on exhausts?
The downpipe is directly connected to the turbo, it will 100% void your warranty as you are also tampering with an emissions device. What part of the warranty it will void can range from just the turbo to the whole power train.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2020, 07:18 PM   #21
Pacman123
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Mazda 3 , BMW M340i Xdrive

Would getting quad tips welded onto the exhaust tips of the stock system void the exhaust system warranty? I figured because it was purely cosmetic it should be fine but haven't asked bmw to confirm.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2020, 08:00 PM   #22
possible335i2008
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacman123 View Post
Would getting quad tips welded onto the exhaust tips of the stock system void the exhaust system warranty? I figured because it was purely cosmetic it should be fine but haven't asked bmw to confirm.
It would void the exhaust itself, so if the welds rust and it somehow messes up the rest of the exhaust or muffler then that wouldn't be covered, typically YMMV.
Appreciate 0