Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Technical Topics B58 6-Cylinder Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications Cheapest way to make M340i louder?

07-20-2020, 04:52 AM   #23
G_046
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i

Thanks. I never had a CEL with flap open circuit code, so it was likely the PPF issue that caused the CEL.

I don't understand why the PPF was throwing that code if the dealer was advising it was due to the flap being left open, as no other owners have reported this issue when doing the mod. Perhaps an unrelated problem and maybe the dealer used the mod as an explanation/excuse.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2020, 12:54 PM   #24
jay94
Rep
Drives: BMW M340

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyeM340i View Post
I've been looking into catted vrsf DP's but they're kind of expensive and I don't want to muffler delete due to drone. Any ideas?
I've looked at catless but I dont want CEL and gasoline smell.
https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...Gp?usp=sharing

DP and armaspeed intake,
check the link for my M340 sound clips
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-15-2020, 05:17 AM   #25
thelmers
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i xDrive Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by trey100 View Post
If it's like my M3, it still closes at higher gears when cruising. I had an OBD device and phone app that allows you to keep the valves open at all times (even in Efficient) and you can notice the louder sound as you switch it on the highway.
You van add the motorsound menu in the iDrive with Bimmercode. Mine is always open in all driving modes.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2020, 03:54 PM   #26
FrankMartin
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: m340i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by G_046 View Post
Thanks. I never had a CEL with flap open circuit code, so it was likely the PPF issue that caused the CEL.

I don't understand why the PPF was throwing that code if the dealer was advising it was due to the flap being left open, as no other owners have reported this issue when doing the mod. Perhaps an unrelated problem and maybe the dealer used the mod as an explanation/excuse.
How was the dealer in general with the fact you'd disabled the flap? were they happy to look at the error code under warranty even with that mod?
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2020, 04:34 PM   #27
G_046
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMartin View Post
Quote:

How was the dealer in general with the fact you'd disabled the flap? were they happy to look at the error code under warranty even with that mod?
They wouldn't do it under warranty for obvious reasons, so charged me £100 to undo the mod and drive it for 30 mins at 60mph to clear the code.

Still don't understand the reason it threw a code
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2020, 03:38 PM   #28
FrankMartin
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
They wouldn't do it under warranty for obvious reasons, so charged me £100 to undo the mod and drive it for 30 mins at 60mph to clear the code.

Thanks, seems strange. Tempted to try the mod on mine, but don't really want any issues. Were you happy with the sound before the error code came up?
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2020, 10:04 AM   #29
G_046
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Thanks, seems strange. Tempted to try the mod on mine, but don't really want any issues. Were you happy with the sound before the error code came up?
Sorry for slow reply, didn't see your message.

Yes and no. Cold start was nice and loud and I think the car burbled more at low revs. It possibly burbled/popped more at higher revs but to be honest the car soundproofing is so good and with road noise I couldn't tell really any difference.

If I knew it wouldn't throw a code again I'd redo the mod. For now it's back to stock whilst I figure out a an exhaust system I like.

Have you a had look at any systems or better still heard any in person that you could recommend?
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2020, 04:29 PM   #30
FrankMartin
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:

Yes and no. Cold start was nice and loud and I think the car burbled more at low revs. It possibly burbled/popped more at higher revs but to be honest the car soundproofing is so good and with road noise I couldn't tell really any difference.

If I knew it wouldn't throw a code again I'd redo the mod. For now it's back to stock whilst I figure out a an exhaust system I like.

Have you a had look at any systems or better still heard any in person that you could recommend?
Thanks for the response, the warning light is putting me off slightly from doing that mod. Did you get any drone on the motorway with it open? suspect the valve would usually be closed in that situation.

Unfortunately there don't seem to many systems out there yet, and no chance of hearing one in person. I've found a video of the Milltek OPF back exhaust on their facebook page, but that is not enough to go on. I hear there will be an OPF back Remus option early in the new year as well, so maybe there will some videos on that, but even then it is hard to know what it will actually sound like. I did watch a few of the Supra with OPF back exhausts, as in theory that should sound similar as it is the same engine.

Then there is the ACS exhaust, but at £3k plus fitting I'll give that a miss.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2020, 10:34 AM   #31
G_046
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Thanks for the response, the warning light is putting me off slightly from doing that mod. Did you get any drone on the motorway with it open? suspect the valve would usually be closed in that situation.

Unfortunately there don't seem to many systems out there yet, and no chance of hearing one in person. I've found a video of the Milltek OPF back exhaust on their facebook page, but that is not enough to go on. I hear there will be an OPF back Remus option early in the new year as well, so maybe there will some videos on that, but even then it is hard to know what it will actually sound like. I did watch a few of the Supra with OPF back exhausts, as in theory that should sound similar as it is the same engine.

Then there is the ACS exhaust, but at £3k plus fitting I'll give that a miss.
No, drone was fine on motorways, no real difference.

I've been considering a PCW mod, he has done some nice work to M1/240i's. I don't really want to wreck the stock exhaust for when it comes to sell the car though. Considering going into a custom fabricator to see what they would be looking at for some work. I don't want anything crazy, just a bit more volume, nice tone and some more burbles/pops. No idea on cost, but reluctant to pay £2-3k for a system I've not heard before.

An M340i touring accelerated past me in the opposite direction earlier this week and sounded awesome. Looked stock, so now not sure if it's just the soundproofing limiting the noise or not.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2020, 05:10 PM   #32
FrankMartin
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
No, drone was fine on motorways, no real difference.

I've been considering a PCW mod, he has done some nice work to M1/240i's. I don't really want to wreck the stock exhaust for when it comes to sell the car though. Considering going into a custom fabricator to see what they would be looking at for some work. I don't want anything crazy, just a bit more volume, nice tone and some more burbles/pops. No idea on cost, but reluctant to pay £2-3k for a system I've not heard before.

An M340i touring accelerated past me in the opposite direction earlier this week and sounded awesome. Looked stock, so now not sure if it's just the soundproofing limiting the noise or not.
I think the sound proofing is an interesting point, and certainly won't help. You are sat a long way from the exhaust and then the insulation is excellent. Like you I just want a bit more volume and nice tone. I don't know much about the PCW mod, but know they were popular on the m140s. My standard m240i sounded louder tham my m340i, some of that will be the OPF but some the extra insulation. I think the PCW mod is similiar to the Carnewal mod for porsches where they remove some of the inner to make it a bit louder but maintain a nice tone. But wouldnt want to make that commitment without first hearing one.
Appreciate 0