Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Technical Topics Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior & interior) Carbon Fiber Cosmetic issues under clear coat

08-06-2020, 10:09 PM   #1
HXTX20
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 M3 Comp, '23 X5 45E

Carbon Fiber Cosmetic issues under clear coat

Wondering if anyone else here have had issues with aftermarket CF trim parts showing cosmetic issues? I have carbon fiber mirror caps and rear spoiler that are both showing white cosmetic markings, and the CF caps are showing lifting in some areas. All the areas of damage are smooth to the touch.

Is this just an issue with the quality of the carbon fiber? It's odd the damage is happening under the clear coat which should be sealing everything. I got these parts for under 200 eachon ebay and have had them on for less than 3 weeks. I live in Houston where the weather is pretty hot and humid. Both sellers are offering replacements but I'm not sure it's even worth it if this is just going to happen again.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-06-2020, 10:26 PM   #2
PortimaoMystique
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by HXTX20 View Post
Wondering if anyone else here have had issues with aftermarket CF trim parts showing cosmetic issues? I have carbon fiber mirror caps and rear spoiler that are both showing white cosmetic markings, and the CF caps are showing lifting in some areas. All the areas of damage are smooth to the touch.

Is this just an issue with the quality of the carbon fiber? It's odd the damage is happening under the clear coat which should be sealing everything. I got these parts for under 200 eachon ebay and have had them on for less than 3 weeks. I live in Houston where the weather is pretty hot and humid. Both sellers are offering replacements but I'm not sure it's even worth it if this is just going to happen again.
Where did you purchase from? Which seller? Also how long have you had them?
      08-06-2020, 10:35 PM   #3
HXTX20
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortimaoMystique View Post
Both bought on ebay. CF mirror caps from bulbxpert ($150). Spoiler from IkonMotorsports ($190)

Spoiler installed for 3 weeks, mirror caps for 2 weeks. Driven less than a thousand miles with both parts.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2020, 10:40 PM   #4
PortimaoMystique
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by HXTX20 View Post
Quote:
Both bought on ebay. CF mirror caps from bulbxpert ($150). Spoiler from IkonMotorsports ($190)

Spoiler installed for 3 weeks, mirror caps for 2 weeks. Driven less than a thousand miles with both parts.
I have the same mirrors and mine have been fine. With exception that right one isn't completely flush with the housing but that's expected.
      08-06-2020, 11:10 PM   #5
HXTX20
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I have the same mirrors and mine have been fine. With exception that right one isn't completely flush with the housing but that's expected.
I had the same problem. I took a dremel to the plastic brace that extends out the farthest and trimmed it down. When I measured it, it was about 0.5" long, but the mirror housing cavity was only about 0.35" deep for said brace.

Had a perfect fit after that. Anyways, thanks for the reply and I'll see if replacements will fare better.
Appreciate 0