Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Technical Topics B48 4-Cylinder Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications Nudging/jerking when accelerating slowly

02-27-2024, 03:57 AM   #1
bbbbadfish
Rep
Drives: G20 330e - M-Sport

Garage List
2014 BMW 420D  [0.00]
Nudging/jerking when accelerating slowly

Recently my car has begun jerking and nudging when accelerating slowly. Only happens between 1000-2000rpm.

Otherwise the car is fine. No CEL or anything. I tried changing spark plugs but they were not worn out, also tried running through with 98 octane. When I gear down it doesnt happen..

Anyone who has any suggestions what this can be? The car had a big service not even a year ago..

Thanks a lot!
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2024, 09:22 PM   #2
Micah H
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW g20/330i 2019 black

It sounds like your car is experiencing some issues with its engine performance, particularly during low-speed acceleration. Since you've already checked the spark plugs and tried using higher-octane fuel without success, here are a few other potential causes to consider:

Fuel System Issues: The problem could be related to the fuel injectors, fuel filter, or fuel pump. If the injectors are clogged or the fuel filter is dirty, it can disrupt the fuel flow and cause hesitation or jerking during acceleration.

Air Intake System: Check for any obstructions or leaks in the air intake system, including the air filter, throttle body, and intake manifold. A dirty air filter or vacuum leak could affect the air-fuel mixture and cause performance issues.

Transmission Problems: Although you mentioned that the issue only occurs during acceleration between 1000-2000 rpm, it's still worth considering the possibility of transmission-related issues. Check the transmission fluid level and condition to ensure it's within the proper range and not contaminated.

Ignition System: While you've already checked the spark plugs, other components of the ignition system, such as the ignition coils or ignition control module, could be malfunctioning and affecting engine performance.

Sensors: Faulty sensors, such as the mass airflow sensor (MAF), throttle position sensor (TPS), or oxygen sensor, can also cause drivability issues. Consider having these sensors tested or replaced if necessary.

Since the problem seems to be intermittent and doesn't trigger a check engine light (CEL), it may be a bit more challenging to diagnose. If you're unable to identify the issue on your own, it might be best to consult with a professional mechanic or technician who can perform a thorough diagnostic assessment using specialized tools and equipment. They can pinpoint the exact cause of the problem and recommend the appropriate repairs or adjustments to restore your car's performance.
Appreciate 3
      03-04-2024, 03:49 AM   #3
bbbbadfish
Rep
Drives: G20 330e - M-Sport

Garage List
2014 BMW 420D  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Micah H View Post
It sounds like your car is experiencing some issues with its engine performance, particularly during low-speed acceleration. Since you've already checked the spark plugs and tried using higher-octane fuel without success, here are a few other potential causes to consider:

Fuel System Issues: The problem could be related to the fuel injectors, fuel filter, or fuel pump. If the injectors are clogged or the fuel filter is dirty, it can disrupt the fuel flow and cause hesitation or jerking during acceleration.

Air Intake System: Check for any obstructions or leaks in the air intake system, including the air filter, throttle body, and intake manifold. A dirty air filter or vacuum leak could affect the air-fuel mixture and cause performance issues.

Transmission Problems: Although you mentioned that the issue only occurs during acceleration between 1000-2000 rpm, it's still worth considering the possibility of transmission-related issues. Check the transmission fluid level and condition to ensure it's within the proper range and not contaminated.

Ignition System: While you've already checked the spark plugs, other components of the ignition system, such as the ignition coils or ignition control module, could be malfunctioning and affecting engine performance.

Sensors: Faulty sensors, such as the mass airflow sensor (MAF), throttle position sensor (TPS), or oxygen sensor, can also cause drivability issues. Consider having these sensors tested or replaced if necessary.

Since the problem seems to be intermittent and doesn't trigger a check engine light (CEL), it may be a bit more challenging to diagnose. If you're unable to identify the issue on your own, it might be best to consult with a professional mechanic or technician who can perform a thorough diagnostic assessment using specialized tools and equipment. They can pinpoint the exact cause of the problem and recommend the appropriate repairs or adjustments to restore your car's performance.
Thanks a lot for a detailed reply! I copied this message and ill show it to the mechanic im going to today. They said they said theyll test thorough pressures etc and go deep to figure out the issue. Ill give an update here when its figured out

Thanks again
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2024, 09:13 AM   #4
E__F
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 330i XDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbbadfish View Post
Thanks a lot for a detailed reply! I copied this message and ill show it to the mechanic im going to today. They said they said theyll test thorough pressures etc and go deep to figure out the issue. Ill give an update here when its figured out

Thanks again
Following this thread. Keep us updated if the mechanic finds anything.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2024, 06:06 PM   #5
BmwDriverStockholm
Private
Sweden
Rep
Drives: G20 330i M-sport sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micah H View Post
It sounds like your car is experiencing some issues with its engine performance... assessment using specialized tools and equipment. They can pinpoint the exact cause of the problem and recommend the appropriate repairs or adjustments to restore your car's performance.
Good job ChatGPT! =)
Appreciate 2
E__F6.00
      04-25-2024, 05:15 AM   #6
M4RI4NP
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw g20 330e

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbbadfish View Post

Thanks again
Same problem for me
Any update
Appreciate 0