BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

03-25-2024, 01:10 PM   #1
BackOnBlack
Learning to drive again
Rep
Drives: M3CS

Garage List
2024 BMW M3 CS  [10.00]
Took the G80 M3CS to the Track @ Summit Point Main Circuit

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
I took BoB to Summit Point Main circuit for the PCA event this past weekend. I am so glad I did

For reference, here is the track map:

Name:  Summit_Point_Circuit_Main_Map.png
Views: 3922
Size:  45.3 KB

The event started grim with heavy rains that lasted until about noon, leaving a wet track with few rivers across the track. Thankfully, most of the track dried out by early afternoon with few spots left damp. Unfortunately, those few spots were at the critical points on the track that caught me by surprise, such as at the turn-in of T3.

I was nervous and anxious even before the event, and I did not want to run in the rain, so I skipped the first two sessions of the first day. I got onto the track in the afternoon and ran conservatively trying to figure out my bearings and settling down my nerves. It was overwhelming, everything coming at me at the same time, I felt a bit of overloading of the brain. The last session of the day, I focused on slowing down my perception, observing the track, the drivers, flag stations, etc. This helped tremendously. I was able to concentrate on getting into a rhythm, running the driving line, ensuring I gave timely point-bys. The best I could do was to test the car, trying to understand how it communicates, figuring out the tires, the gearing and see how well the brakes would hold up. All looked promising, except the tires.

The paddock:

Name:  PCA Paddock.png
Views: 4282
Size:  705.9 KB

There were about a dozen BMWs in the event, from E36/E46 M3s, F90 M5 to F87 M2s and a Z4:

Name:  BMW Racers.png
Views: 4414
Size:  612.4 KB

The next day was much better, although we started at below freezing temperatures. First session, again, I focused on my surroundings, and maintaining a rhythm and not being in the way of other drivers. The tires, the Michelin PS4S, were clearly the weakest point of the car for this type of driving. Regardless, this first session increased my confidence and I started to enjoy being on the track.

In subsequent sessions, my confidence and my speed increased steadily. I was certainly catching other cars on the straights with so much power on tap, but also under braking, which was surprising to me. However, I was losing a lot of ground to others in the infield. Regardless of my confidence, I asked an instructor to ride with me to point out any bad habits I might have developed, areas for improvement and hopefully a validation that I am doing okay in the run group, not overdoing anything.

The instructor was superb. He corrected my braking technique, entry into turns 3 and 6, which all combined, made for a much smoother ride and faster laps. The feedback was invaluable, and he confirmed that I was running in the right group, intermediate. Following this feedback, in my last session of the event, I felt I was much faster, safer and smoother at the same time.

About the car's performance:

I bought this car for multiple duties. To use it as a daily driver, run a few autoxes and hopefully be able to go to a few track events as well. I always had the impression that BMWs need, at least, a moderate amount of modifications to be able to hold their own on track, and possibly compromise streetability a little in the process. So, buying this car was a bit of a gamble. The gamble paid off beyond my expectations. The only modifications I did to the car was install track brake pads, change brake fluid, and add cooling ducts to the front brakes.

Power - This is the first car I had in which I have to be careful how I apply the throttle. It has more power than grip. This is such a good feeling as I could squeeze the throttle and get significant acceleration out of the corners, and know that I still have more I can apply as the track straightens. Other cars were doing all they can to get out of my way on the straights, giving very early point-bys. The rate of closure to other cars on the straights was something I was not expecting. At the end of the front straight of the track, the car would reach 150+ mph, but frankly I had a mental block getting to that number, I would back off just before reaching that speed and hit the brakes into T1. The perception of that speed was not something I was quite prepared for.

The only aspect that might be considered negative was fuel consumption. A full tank lasted only 3 sessions, and I was averaging about 5.5 mpg per session. I can live with this given the performance. The problem was that the fuel cost $6/gallon at the track

Cooling the engine after a session:

Name:  CoolingEngine.png
Views: 4317
Size:  1.09 MB

Handling - The suspension setup on the M3CS is nearly perfect for my taste and level of driving. I set it to Sport+ and it never felt jarring or unsettling, even going over the curbs. The only time I wished it had a bit more shock support was when going through high-speed directional changes, such as between turns 8 and 9. I was just breathing the throttle momentarily to help with that transition. I think I now understand why some companies are suggesting an increase in the front swaybar, which I think might help.
The car never felt heavy, floaty or slow in any parts of the track. The camber and caster settings are certainly more than adequate for my level of driving and the tires I have. The level of compromise setup by BMW just feels right in my opinion.

Brakes - Phenomenal, just phenomenal! On the straights and particularly under braking I would close the gap I lost in the in-field to other cars. The consistency of the brakes were superb. There was never a hint of fade, degradation or worry about the brakes.

The first time I hit the brakes approaching T1, the instructor who was riding with me during that session just could not help but laugh. He got slammed to the seat belt, he just wasn’t expecting it. He would continue to giggle through all of the other turns when I had to use significant braking. They are just flawless.

On the front straight we would reach 145-150 mph and that leads to one of the slowest corners, T1, which is taken at 40-45 mph. Shedding 100+ mph lap after lap is very demanding on the brakes. The M3 never exhibited any signs of weakness, and consistently they performed.

I ran with MDM on, and the rear brakes are not showing any signs of overuse at this time; granted this is at my level of intermediate driving, it may vary for others.

Tires - There is so much to say about the tires. In short, the PS4S is certainly not the right tire for track events, particularly for intermediate and lower level drivers. Better and more experienced drivers can probably manage them more effectively, but then again, their speed would be much higher, demanding more from the tires. I don’t think these tires are suitable for anyone on track. They are superb on the street and even autox, but track driving needs a lot more. They gained heat way too much and too quickly. They behave noticeably inconsistently as they go through different pressures and eventually become rather greasy, but not dangerously so. My tires would gain between 10-12 psi within the first 6 or 7 laps, and track temperatures were not any higher than 45-50 deg.

The best part of this adventure was on the way back home. After the track “abuse,” I just got in and drove home as if I was at work or shopping. There weren’t any unwanted or strange noises, the drive was as comfortable as always. Everything was as designed, no objections of any kind. This is what I had hoped I was buying, there are no disappointments of any king. We’ll see how it holds up to multiple track days, but this has been a very encouraging start.

This is a 5 min. video of a session. My phone mount failed and could not record any, but one session. Also to note, contrary to what this video may imply, I got passed many times by much faster drivers. I hope you enjoy it.

Last edited by BackOnBlack; 03-25-2024 at 06:53 PM..
      03-25-2024, 04:54 PM   #2
kevinboonebiz
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 3 Series (G20)

Nice read !
Appreciate 3
      03-25-2024, 04:55 PM   #3
Evinrude1975
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 CS '24

Thanls for sharing your experience and enthusiasm. Love it!
Appreciate 3
      03-25-2024, 05:02 PM   #4
barryc365
Major
Rep
Drives: BMWM3

Nice read. The thing looks like it gets up to 150 with ease, Insane.

Did you manage the tyre pressures, letting out air etc?
Appreciate 1
      03-25-2024, 05:08 PM   #5
jeremyuhh
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

How did you like the ZF transmission on track ?
Appreciate 1
m2for2227.00
      03-25-2024, 05:12 PM   #6
JIO
Captain
Rep
Drives: '09 Space Gray E92 M3 w/DCT

Thanks for sharing. Nice job on the apexes! Know the track, hit the apexes, and the speed will come. It’s always a great day at the track when you can drive home at the end. I always remember what my instructor told me years ago: “No matter how much you love your car, your car doesn’t care if you live or die”. “And always leave your ego at home because no matter how fast your car is, someone will always be faster”.

I always run track days with the Pilot Sport Cup tires. Run them at about 24 psi cold and they are amazing. Just be careful when they are cold…lots of understeer. 24 psi were perfect for me on my E92 M3.

Thanks again for the post. You did great!
Appreciate 10
stone_120.00
2011ninja3396.00
turo162.50
Scrapula2739.00
JTO245276.00
swampfox941186.50
ando2002.00
      03-25-2024, 05:21 PM   #7
G MONEY
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 458/ YAS m4

How dare you drive that car at 40 degrees and those tires!!! According to many Karens on this forum, you have to be an idiot to not put winter tires on in those conditions You could have hit black ice and killed a whole family. Hope you can sleep at knowing you played Russian roulette this past weekend. This is 1000% sarcasm by the way. Cool write up bud. Keep driving the shit out of her.
Appreciate 17
      03-25-2024, 05:26 PM   #8
mattssi
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3

So cool
      03-25-2024, 05:42 PM   #9
kgelfen360
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Wow awesome. Thanks for the video!!
Appreciate 1
      03-25-2024, 06:05 PM   #10
Trex
Sport Geezer
Rep
Drives: X1, F10, G80 (6 MT)

Great report. I'm familiar with the track. Keep us updated on the AutoX experience, too and how a setup for that compares to a track setup.
Appreciate 2
      03-25-2024, 06:12 PM   #11
BackOnBlack
Learning to drive again
Rep

Garage List
2024 BMW M3 CS  [10.00]
Thank you ALL for your very kind words. I am so glad you enjoyed it

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryc365 View Post
Nice read. The thing looks like it gets up to 150 with ease, Insane.

Did you manage the tyre pressures, letting out air etc?
How this car accelerates and the speeds it reaches are really insane. The in-person perception of this is wild; the tiny vibrations, how distant objects become very big ones in an instant... Just wild!

I did try manage the tire pressures, but wasn't successful. If my starting pressures were below 30 psi, the tires would warm up even faster and create a very pronounced and discouraging vibration during the turns. One session, the vibrations were so bad that I had to pit in after 3 laps, get out and check the tires, lug nuts to make sure there was no danger. So, subsequent sessions, I would take two laps to warm up the tires before hard braking and turns, which helped a lot, but than with such low pressures the car became unstable with understeer and snap oversteer. So, finally, I set my cold pressures to 32 in the fronts and 34 in the rears and let it be and do the best I could.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyuhh View Post
How did you like the ZF transmission on track ?
Oh yes, I should have written about this also. First day, first session, being apprehensive, I set the transmission to S2. After few laps I set it to S3, and it felt a lot better with crisper and more immediate shifts. Gear changes were perfect, there was never any hesitation, immediate shifts, up or down. The jolts during shifts, particularly 3rd to 4th, gave me this oddly satisfying tingle in my spine, I could not get enough of it

Given how overwhelmed I was during the first session, I am glad I did not have to do my own shifting frankly. I have no complaints about the transmission at all.
      03-25-2024, 06:16 PM   #12
G30M
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW M550i; Kia EV6 GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackOnBlack View Post
I took BoB to Summit Point Main circuit for the PCA event this past weekend. I am so glad I did
how does one obtain/use the M performance analyzer?
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2024, 06:32 PM   #13
BackOnBlack
Learning to drive again
Rep

Garage List
2024 BMW M3 CS  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JIO View Post
Thanks for sharing. Nice job on the apexes! Know the track, hit the apexes, and the speed will come. It’s always a great day at the track when you can drive home at the end. I always remember what my instructor told me years ago: “No matter how much you love your car, your car doesn’t care if you live or die”. “And always leave your ego at home because no matter how fast your car is, someone will always be faster”.
I could not said it better myself. Going back home after such an event felt absolutely great.

Quote:
I always run track days with the Pilot Sport Cup tires. Run them at about 24 psi cold and they are amazing. Just be careful when they are cold…lots of understeer. 24 psi were perfect for me on my E92 M3.
Yes, I need to think of different tires for sure. The PS4S do not show any wear frankly at this time, with such high pressures, they were not rolling over to their shoulders. I might just go through this season with them, and get new tires for 2025. I asked around the paddock about the tires people tend to use and like, and almost everyone gave me different answers. Many of them were running RE71RS, Hoosier R7s, AD0052s, etc. I'll be heading over to Tyre Reviews

Quote:
Thanks again for the post. You did great!
Thank you very much, I appreciate it greatly.
      03-25-2024, 06:36 PM   #14
stone_1
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW XM

It’s all about finding that perfect line and the speed will naturally follow and running track days with pilot sport cup tires sound like a great choice 24 psi cold seems to work well for you on your E92 M3. I’m also familiar with the track too, it’s always exciting to see how different setups perform in different driving scenarios. It’s will be interesting to see how the car handles in those tight technical courses. You did an awesome job and keep enjoying those track days.
Appreciate 1
      03-25-2024, 06:36 PM   #15
calbears
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 CS,2017 F87 LBB M2

Garage List
2011 M3  [10.00]
2017 M2  [10.00]
2018 M3 CS  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by g21 View Post
buy it. It's a bluetooth dongle that goes into the OBD port. App is free, connect to the app. Select your car, start recording video on track.
Past: E90 328i, F10 535i, F80 M3 (murdered)
Appreciate 2
      03-25-2024, 06:36 PM   #16
BackOnBlack
Learning to drive again
Rep

Garage List
2024 BMW M3 CS  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by g21 View Post
The app is a free download from AppStore. You just then get the ODBII wireless reader, and the app connects to it It is that simple.

See more on post #22: https://g80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=2075079
ChrisM41626.00
      03-25-2024, 06:38 PM   #17
BackOnBlack
Learning to drive again
Rep

Garage List
2024 BMW M3 CS  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by stone_1 View Post
It’s all about finding that perfect line and the speed will naturally follow and running track days with pilot sport cup tires sound like a great choice 24 psi cold seems to work well for you on your E92 M3. I’m also familiar with the track too, it’s always exciting to see how different setups perform in different driving scenarios. It’s will be interesting to see how the car handles in those tight technical courses. You did an awesome job and keep enjoying those track days.
Thank you very much!
      03-25-2024, 06:40 PM   #18
BackOnBlack
Learning to drive again
Rep

Garage List
2024 BMW M3 CS  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by G MONEY View Post
How dare you drive that car at 40 degrees and those tires!!! According to many Karens on this forum, you have to be an idiot to not put winter tires on in those conditions You could have hit black ice and killed a whole family. Hope you can sleep at knowing you played Russian roulette this past weekend. This is 1000% sarcasm by the way. Cool write up bud. Keep driving the shit out of her.

Thank you!
      03-25-2024, 07:28 PM   #19
Ibiza
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 G83 comp & 2024 X5 M60

Quote:
Originally Posted by G MONEY View Post
Just like the guy who’s kid hit his car with a bicycle and wanted BMW warranty to cover.

Classic passing up all those P driver wanna bees.
      03-25-2024, 07:54 PM   #20
Bimmerfun82
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3, X7, MY

Garage List
24 BMW M3  [10.00]
24 BMW X7  [9.00]
Loved reading this. And then found out there was a video. There’s nothing that makes me happier than seeing a BMW destroy p cars on track. And I always felt my comp x was too fast for the street and belonged on a racetrack. This is next level.
Appreciate 2
      03-25-2024, 08:06 PM   #21
MT6
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 M3 '19 CTR '14 Accord MT6

Good write up
Appreciate 1
      03-25-2024, 08:11 PM   #22
BackOnBlack
Learning to drive again
Rep

Garage List
2024 BMW M3 CS  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmerfun82 View Post
Loved reading this. And then found out there was a video. There’s nothing that makes me happier than seeing a BMW destroy p cars on track. And I always felt my comp x was too fast for the street and belonged on a racetrack. This is next level.
Thank you! Although in this video clip I am seen passing bunch of P-cars, there were several who passed me in other sessions and with lesser cars. I held my own overall, I think, and it is really not the car but the driver for sure. I have a lot to learn and improve on, and the fun part is that process and journey of improvement.

I hope you get to enjoy your's on track as well.
barryc3651956.00
bri10425938.50