BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

04-25-2024, 05:22 PM   #1
teachings
Registered
Rep
Drives: m3

Lightbulb Need advice

I might sound sped so bear w me

I’ve owned a 2012 GTR, 2017 C63s, 2016 F82 base and currently own a Jeep wrangler Sport (bought a house so I liquidated every dumb purchase I made prior to the mortgage - I bought all 3 of those at 18 years old, 22 years old now).

Didn’t lose that much money on any of them, minus sales tax and insurance.

I’m looking at the G80 & G82 competition models. I’m not really a car guy as I don’t just fomo in to cars, I purposely bought those cars and sold them when I did because I knew they’d hold value + I loved them all (M4 the most).

My mother’s car is essentially in the shitter and I’m considering giving her my Jeep. Was looking into buying a G80 in cash if possible but not familiar with the market as all the performance cars I bought were right before covid and I sold them around 1-2 years later.

Is now a good time to buy? I don’t really want to lose too much and it looks like even the used market is still relatively close to MSRP as long as they’re below 30k miles - definitely not buying brand new unless it absolutely makes sense. Plus I’m sure dealers are selling for above MSRP regardless. Just wanted opinions from the guys who are deep in to this.

Again, sorry if I sound sped or if this post was too long. Not really a car guy, just love cars. I know regardless I’m going to lose money on any car, I just don’t want to lose 25-30%+ over the next 3 years
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2024, 05:26 PM   #2
bri1042
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2021 IOMG M3 6MT

You will lose 25-30% over the next 3 years. Except the GTR, every one of the other cars you had would have lost at least that much at any time other than the few years since you turned 18.

For many years of the GTR's very long lifespan, it too would have depreciated in the first few years of its life.
Appreciate 2
      04-25-2024, 05:43 PM   #3
teachings
Registered
Rep
Drives: m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bri1042 View Post
You will lose 25-30% over the next 3 years. Except the GTR, every one of the other cars you had would have lost at least that much at any time other than the few years since you turned 18.

For many years of the GTR's very long lifespan, it too would have depreciated in the first few years of its life.
Appreciate the response, figured this was the case.

Something to work towards over the next year I guess haha
Appreciate 0