Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Technical Topics Suspension / Chassis / Brakes AST Lowering Springs vs BC Coilovers for a daily driver?

09-28-2023, 02:46 PM   #1
bfiv8
Rep
Drives: '20 M340i, '18 971 4S

AST Lowering Springs vs BC Coilovers for a daily driver?

What's going on g20 fam,

I pulled a trigger and placed an order for a set of gorgeous 19" aftermarket wheels. Now I feel like I should lower my ride. The wheel gap is quite annoying ngl .
It is my daily driver so although I'm aware of the fact that lowering the car will eventually worsen the ride quality, I would like to retain the ride quality close to OEM with a decent drop from stock height. After searching for days, I found that AST lowering springs give the exact amount of height drop I want, somewhere between Dinan and H&R's springs.

Now the real question is how lowering springs will set apart from coilovers. BC Racing's BR coilovers seem like a great entry-level suspension but I've heard some mixed reviews about them. Still, coilovers are coilovers - they are priced multiple times higher for a reason. FYI, a new set of AST lowering springs is priced at $360 while a new set of new BC coilovers is priced at $850 from the local dude.

I street drive a lot and never have been tracked my car before, and even if I do it'll happen like once or twice a year. All I need would be a decent drop in height while keeping the ride quality. I wonder if an extra $550 will do justice.

So now back to the question : Which one would be the best bang for a buck? What are the pros and cons of lowering springs and coilovers respectively? Will the cheap price of lowering springs outweigh the benefits and functions of coilovers, or vice versa? Would love to hear some insights!

Last edited by bfiv8; 09-28-2023 at 03:59 PM..
Appreciate 0