Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Technical Topics Suspension / Chassis / Brakes G20 M340 Steering Creak - Turning right towards lock

09-08-2023, 12:00 PM   #1
prostcfc
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i

G20 M340 Steering Creak - Turning right towards lock

Hi all - I have 14k miles on a 2020 M340 xDrive, still in warranty (just) but this issue has been happening for a few thousand of miles. Been to a dealer multiple times for the issue under warranty. When I turn the wheel to the right, nearing lock, I hear a creaking (like walking on a wooden floor) for half a second. It's not that loud, but it's there. I generally just hear it when reversing out of a parking spot in one direction and cutting hard. It doesn’t happen when I turn to the left, ever. Dealer has replaced both front strut top mounts, both front tie rods, and both front thrust arms. It's been a parts cannon, and the noise is still there. There's zero other symptoms (no vibrations, rattling, nothing). They keep giving it back saying it's fixed, and I keep bringing it back, proving it's not.

Might try another dealer before my warranty expires, but I'm at the point where do I just live with it since it's so minor, or do I keep on them, risking them screwing up things in the process; when they replaced the strut top mounts, I got a huge clanging noise under heavy acceleration, which they ended up fixing.

I've searched high and low, and while there are plenty of threads on front end noises, nobody's seems to be like mine, which is limited in behavior, and most other issues seem to be noticed going over bumps, turning in any direction, etc.

Any feedback is much appreciated. Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2023, 10:17 PM   #2
Bud Webber
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M340i xDrive

My 2020 340i xDrive, with 30k miles, makes exactly the same noise as yours.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2023, 11:39 PM   #3
prostcfc
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Webber View Post
My 2020 340i xDrive, with 30k miles, makes exactly the same noise as yours.
Want to compare notes? What have you had replaced?
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2023, 10:28 PM   #4
jpowers36
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i xDrive

So I have a 2020 and am experiencing something similar. When I turn to the right, say going around a curve on the road, I hear a clicking noise coming from the right side. Almost like something is loose and hitting something. When I straighten the wheel, the noise goes away.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2023, 02:23 PM   #5
prostcfc
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

It also does not make the noise when I have the car in the air. Not sure if that rules out anything with the steering rack/gear, but I would think so.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2023, 11:14 AM   #6
pmgoliv
Enlisted Member
Portugal
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i touring g21

I have the same problem in my 330i Touring, 2020 build.

Creaking noise when turning wheels to the right, before steering lock. Sound appears to come more from the left side. It does not do the same noise when turning wheel to the left.

Dealer suspects steering rack. First time they (supposedly) only lubricated something. Next day it was the same.

Have an appointment for next Monday. Lets see.

Still under warranty. Thankfully I extended warranty...
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2023, 11:41 AM   #7
prostcfc
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmgoliv View Post
I have the same problem in my 330i Touring, 2020 build.

Creaking noise when turning wheels to the right, before steering lock. Sound appears to come more from the left side. It does not do the same noise when turning wheel to the left.

Dealer suspects steering rack. First time they (supposedly) only lubricated something. Next day it was the same.

Have an appointment for next Monday. Lets see.

Still under warranty. Thankfully I extended warranty...
pmgoliv if you could update me, that would be awesome. I have 2 months left on my warranty, but don’t want them experimenting on me if that isn’t likely the cause. It’s a big fix. When I lift the car up into the air and try it, there is no noise, so I’m thinking it’s not the rack unless that has a load component to it.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2023, 04:00 AM   #8
pmgoliv
Enlisted Member
Portugal
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i touring g21

Quote:
Originally Posted by prostcfc View Post
pmgoliv if you could update me, that would be awesome. I have 2 months left on my warranty, but don’t want them experimenting on me if that isn’t likely the cause. It’s a big fix. When I lift the car up into the air and try it, there is no noise, so I’m thinking it’s not the rack unless that has a load component to it.
Ok, will do.
I personally suspect from the start something related to tie rods or control arms. It is the typical noise of a ball joint going bad.

But they pointed out to the steering rack. From what I understood there is a service bulletin for this. BMW recommends first to lubricate the steering rack and then to replace steering rack if problem persists.

I understand your concern but if BMW recommends to change steering rack I want it to be done still under warranty. Tie rods and control arms are way cheaper and need to be replaced anyway in a number of years.

Cheers,
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2023, 09:47 AM   #9
prostcfc
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

pmgoliv were you able to take your car in and get a diagnosis? Also, do you have the TSB you were referencing for the steering rack? I searched and couldn't find one for any G20, except for the one regarding the tie rods.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2023, 06:56 PM   #10
tarrant64
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M340i

Had this issue. Steering rack replaced under warranty.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2023, 09:47 AM   #11
prostcfc
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarrant64 View Post
Had this issue. Steering rack replaced under warranty.
Thanks, glad yours is fixed. I saw you post a video on your issue, and yours is far more extreme then mine, and looked to be turning the wheel in general. Saw a thread on another site and his video was identical to my issue: thrust arm fixed it, though I've done that. Maybe it's the wishbones then (only ball joint component I haven't replaced). Anyway, if it was the steering rack, would expect the same noise if my car was on a lift, but it doesn't replicate.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2023, 06:08 PM   #12
reala
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 16' MG M235i xDrive

I got the same issue on my 2023 m340 and dealer said there is a service bulletin for this issue. They are going go replace both tie rods next week.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2023, 06:24 PM   #13
prostcfc
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by reala View Post
I got the same issue on my 2023 m340 and dealer said there is a service bulletin for this issue. They are going go replace both tie rods next week.
My issue is very specific and is only turning to lock in one direction. That TSB is general noises over road bumps, etc. Anyway, they tried tie rods and it didn’t fix my issue. Hope it works out for you though.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2023, 03:54 AM   #14
reala
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 16' MG M235i xDrive

I dont think my issue is tie rods. I think its brake related. When in park, no issues.. hmm
Appreciate 0