Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Technical Topics Suspension / Chassis / Brakes Brake pad fittment issues, pins won't fit

10-26-2023, 11:05 AM   #1
Defpo
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M340i xdrive

Garage List
Brake pad fittment issues, pins won't fit

I have now tried 2 different brands of brake pads that supposedly should fit my car 23 m340i with m sport 348mm front brakes. Both project mu type ps and hawk HPS 5.0, physically fit the caliper perfectly, but the pins do not line up with the holes in the pads. It seems that BMW has at some point changed which dimple they are drilling in the calipers for the pins to fit into from the 2nd hole to the 3rd hole.

Does anyone know any aftermarket brake pads that will fit these calipers and the ‘new’ pin location?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-26-2023, 11:09 AM   #2
Defpo
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Garage List
And as a side note… I have a set of brand new Project Mu type PS pads for sale that I can’t return that I ordered from Japan if anyone is interested in buying them.

Front - Z723 Rear - Z625
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2023, 09:09 PM   #3
IndotagSwizz
Major
Rep
Drives: F30 320i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defpo View Post
I have now tried 2 different brands of brake pads that supposedly should fit my car 23 m340i with m sport 348mm front brakes. Both project mu type ps and hawk HPS 5.0, physically fit the caliper perfectly, but the pins do not line up with the holes in the pads. It seems that BMW has at some point changed which dimple they are drilling in the calipers for the pins to fit into from the 2nd hole to the 3rd hole.

Does anyone know any aftermarket brake pads that will fit these calipers and the ‘new’ pin location?
Just a suggestion as sometimes simple things like doing brakes can get a little tricky, by the way I’m sure you probably already tried what I’m about to suggest but just in case you haven’t this is what I would double check again:
See if by any chance any of those pads can be flipped and maybe line on the opposite side of the rotor or maybe in the opposite side of the car, play around there’s a chance maybe 1 specific pad goes on the outside of the rotor or on the inside of the rotor and viseversa.
The other thing you can check is if you can line up old and new pads on a table and have the pin holes line up, if they don’t in any way then the pads straight up don’t fit your car.
      10-27-2023, 07:05 AM   #4
Defpo
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndotagSwizz View Post
Just a suggestion as sometimes simple things like doing brakes can get a little tricky, by the way I’m sure you probably already tried what I’m about to suggest but just in case you haven’t this is what I would double check again:
See if by any chance any of those pads can be flipped and maybe line on the opposite side of the rotor or maybe in the opposite side of the car, play around there’s a chance maybe 1 specific pad goes on the outside of the rotor or on the inside of the rotor and viseversa.
The other thing you can check is if you can line up old and new pads on a table and have the pin holes line up, if they don’t in any way then the pads straight up don’t fit your car.
Appreciate your input. Yes I did try multiple pads. The hawk pads, all 4 pads are identical and there is no inside/outside pad. I am fairly certain BMW has changed the pin location in the caliper at some point creating this issue with aftermarket pads.

Compare in this picture of another m sport caliper from eBay. The drilling for the pin location is different from my caliper. Not by much, but enough to cause the pins to not line up.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-27-2023, 09:45 AM   #5
prostcfc
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i

Yeah, my 2020 has the pin holes like your ebay image, not like yours currently. Is there a new part number for OEM pads that occured at some point?
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2023, 10:27 AM   #6
Defpo
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostcfc View Post
Yeah, my 2020 has the pin holes like your ebay image, not like yours currently. Is there a new part number for OEM pads that occured at some point?
Not sure if the OEM part number has changed. I am specifically trying to get rid of the OEM pads because of the obnoxious brake dust.

I did receive this response from hawk through XPH customer serivce.

“We currently do not offer the pad that your customer needs for their application, but we are currently working on it.”

Maybe I’m stuck with the dusty OEM pads for a while…
Appreciate 0