Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Technical Topics DIYs and Coding Discussions What's stopping me from coding my 320i into a 330i?

06-17-2019, 08:42 AM   #1
ballisma
Private
Rep
Drives: G20 330i

What's stopping me from coding my 320i into a 330i?

Hey everyone, very interested in coding
Just wondering what is stopping me from mapping my 320i to a 330i?
Am I missing a turbo or an exhaust or something?
Does the coding exist for G20s already?
I know some of you are probably surprised that a 320i exists! I'm in the UK so slightly different offering here to the US
Thanks 😉
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2019, 06:54 PM   #2
Encanto
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

Coding is not programming.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2019, 02:24 PM   #3
ballisma
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Encanto View Post
Coding is not programming.
Sorry Encanto, I don't understand the difference 😳
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2019, 02:44 PM   #4
itsglen
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMWs

No expert but let me give this a shot

Coding refers to reprogramming the on-board computer to turn on/off factory accessories or maybe have them function in a different manner. Examples would included (but are certainly not limited to) Turn signals that you code to flash 4 times instead of 3. Turning off seat belt chime, turning on or off side marker lights the list goes on and on. A popular coding tool is bimmercode (which can be found in the app store)

Aforementioned aside what you are asking about is tuning your car to make more power. This is accomplished either via piggyback device or a reflash of your cars DME (computer that controls engine parameters)...this is what you are asking about. So can your car be turned into a 330? No not really, but can your car be tuned to make power comparable to a 330 or more? Yes

Popular Piggyback manufactures include: Burger Performance (JB+, JB4 etc.), RaceChip, Dinan (there are many others)

Popular Flash Tunes include: Mission Performance, ProTuningFreaks (BM3 etc..), MHD (there are many others)

Note:
I'm in the U.S. - there are European based tuners but their names escape me (RaceChip is in Europe)

I hope this helps get you started on your quest for more power :-)
Appreciate 1
      06-19-2019, 01:24 PM   #5
ballisma
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsglen View Post
No expert but let me give this a shot

Coding refers to reprogramming the on-board computer to turn on/off factory accessories or maybe have them function in a different manner. Examples would included (but are certainly not limited to) Turn signals that you code to flash 4 times instead of 3. Turning off seat belt chime, turning on or off side marker lights the list goes on and on. A popular coding tool is bimmercode (which can be found in the app store)

Aforementioned aside what you are asking about is tuning your car to make more power. This is accomplished either via piggyback device or a reflash of your cars DME (computer that controls engine parameters)...this is what you are asking about. So can your car be turned into a 330? No not really, but can your car be tuned to make power comparable to a 330 or more? Yes

Popular Piggyback manufactures include: Burger Performance (JB+, JB4 etc.), RaceChip, Dinan (there are many others)

Popular Flash Tunes include: Mission Performance, ProTuningFreaks (BM3 etc..), MHD (there are many others)

Note:
I'm in the U.S. - there are European based tuners but their names escape me (RaceChip is in Europe)

I hope this helps get you started on your quest for more power :-)

That helps Alot thank you!!
One last thing, what does a 330i have to support the extra hp from the same b48 engine that the 320i doesn't?

Thank again
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2019, 03:05 PM   #6
itsglen
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballisma View Post
That helps Alot thank you!!
One last thing, what does a 330i have to support the extra hp from the same b48 engine that the 320i doesn't?

Thank again
There are far more qualified people here vs me to answer that question for you. And I can tell you historically speaking for the FXXX series cars that question has been asked and answered many many times. I would start with a search within the forums...

I think you will find that there are many people here that can and will help you but it always helps to a get a response if you have tried to help yourself first :-)
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2019, 12:15 PM   #7
Pauleebe
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Inbetween BMW's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballisma View Post
Hey everyone, very interested in coding
Just wondering what is stopping me from mapping my 320i to a 330i?
Am I missing a turbo or an exhaust or something?
Does the coding exist for G20s already?
I know some of you are probably surprised that a 320i exists! I'm in the UK so slightly different offering here to the US
Thanks 😉
You can probably chip the 320, but although the 320 and 330 seem to share the same core engine, there are other differences between the models.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2019, 02:38 PM   #8
ballisma
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsglen View Post
There are far more qualified people here vs me to answer that question for you. And I can tell you historically speaking for the FXXX series cars that question has been asked and answered many many times. I would start with a search within the forums...

I think you will find that there are many people here that can and will help you but it always helps to a get a response if you have tried to help yourself first :-)
Thank you, I couldn't find it on search it will try again
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2019, 02:40 PM   #9
ballisma
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauleebe View Post
You can probably chip the 320, but although the 320 and 330 seem to share the same core engine, there are other differences between the models.
Thank you I can't seem to find what the other differences are anywhere on this forum
I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2019, 11:45 PM   #10
itsglen
Private First Class
Rep

I'm not sure of the similarities of the 320/330 engine in the G20 but if they are the same as in the F30 - you will find a wealth of information here in the F30 forum

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/fo...play.php?f=422
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2019, 09:55 AM   #11
sspdw
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: bmw m140

In F30 the differences where slightly lower compression ratio in the 30i.
Appreciate 0