Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Technical Topics Mechanical Maintenance and TSBs: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / TSBs and Service Bulletin SA tried to charge me for a software upgrade, who's right?

12-03-2019, 08:09 AM   #1
sanch8
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 330i

SA tried to charge me for a software upgrade, who's right?

Took my car in for the Recall Campaign No. 2019-480: Programming Control Units Rear View Camera (66 82 19RC) and asked the SA to please update me to the latest idrive software and that it should be 11.2019.XX.

To my surprise she called the 03.2019.60 version on my car the latest and proceeded to tell me that even if a new version is out it will cost me CAD 400 to update the software since software upgrades aren't covered under warranty work.

This made my blood boil, and when i fired back, she played the experience card saying she's been with BMW a long time and knows more.

Is she correct or totally clueless?
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2019, 08:36 AM   #2
The Outrage
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i xDrive

Generally, you must state that a problem exists which is mentioned in the release notes for a newer version of the software than what is found on your vehicle. The dealership is always deeply concerned about their profit, even when it involves plugging a device into to USB port and walking away.

It's a shame that BMW is incapable of implementing over-the-air updates in any way other than in their marketing materials. I think BMW should start a campaign where you are entitled to a software update at a dealership every six months until they are capable of delivering what was promised to their customers.
Appreciate 1
A6bullet336.00
      12-03-2019, 09:18 AM   #3
A6bullet
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2020 330i Msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Outrage View Post
Generally, you must state that a problem exists which is mentioned in the release notes for a newer version of the software than what is found on your vehicle. The dealership is always deeply concerned about their profit, even when it involves plugging a device into to USB port and walking away.

It's a shame that BMW is incapable of implementing over-the-air updates in any way other than in their marketing materials. I think BMW should start a campaign where you are entitled to a software update at a dealership every six months until they are capable of delivering what was promised to their customers.
I second this motion. Disgusting that they nickle and dime you for options but for after support as well.
F87 M2

G20 330i
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2019, 11:22 AM   #4
StevenDS85
I ///M Fan
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i M-Sport

The G20 is designed to support OTA (over the air) software upgrades. BMW still has to roll this out. Up until then, manual upgrades must be free of charge, especially because upgrade do provide bugfixes as well for known issues.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2019, 03:00 PM   #5
sanch8
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 330i

Thanks for the inputs. The SA had nothing to say when I asked to be compensated for being sold on the OTA feature. Will find out what they did once i get the car back in a few days.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2019, 03:30 PM   #6
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanch8 View Post
Took my car in for the Recall Campaign No. 2019-480: Programming Control Units Rear View Camera (66 82 19RC) and asked the SA to please update me to the latest idrive software and that it should be 11.2019.XX.

Is she correct or totally clueless?

I believe there is misunderstand between you and your SA; the recall would require them to update the vehicle to latest software available, which is mandatory, so that will get done.

What doesn't get updated upon an iSTEP upgrade is the navigation maps, which does cost extra to have done.

She's conflating the two updates and is assuming there should be a charge.

The navigation maps does update automatically via the in-vehicle data connection but only regionally. To get a full, national map would incur an additional cost.
Appreciate 0