Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions Driving position with manual seats?

05-28-2020, 11:00 AM   #1
kuki
Poland
Rep
Drives: 330i M Sport g20

Driving position with manual seats?

Hey everybody!
This is my first ever post so would be nice to say hello to everybody here!
I have recently picked up 330i MSport (would post some pics soon) -euro spec. Although I like the car very much, I am little bit disappointed with the driving position. I am quite tall - 188 cm (around 6.2") and I find it being definitely too high... Moreover, the steering wheel for me is also not "adjustable" enough.
Quite funny, because while doing test drive, I was given 330i M Sport with fully electric seats and I felt like the driving position was almost perfect at that time.
I decided to spec my car with basic ///M seats (with manual adjustment) in order to be positioned even lower, but I feel like being higher than in electric ones. I even went to the dealer to compare it and guess what - I still feel like electric ones are being mounted little bit lower than "manual" ones.
Does anybody besides me else with "manual" seats is complaining about driving position?
Greeting from Poland!
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2020, 06:22 AM   #2
Calamari
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 G21 330d, 2008 E87 118i

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuki View Post
Hey everybody!
This is my first ever post so would be nice to say hello to everybody here!
I have recently picked up 330i MSport (would post some pics soon) -euro spec. Although I like the car very much, I am little bit disappointed with the driving position. I am quite tall - 188 cm (around 6.2") and I find it being definitely too high... Moreover, the steering wheel for me is also not "adjustable" enough.
Quite funny, because while doing test drive, I was given 330i M Sport with fully electric seats and I felt like the driving position was almost perfect at that time.
I decided to spec my car with basic ///M seats (with manual adjustment) in order to be positioned even lower, but I feel like being higher than in electric ones. I even went to the dealer to compare it and guess what - I still feel like electric ones are being mounted little bit lower than "manual" ones.
Does anybody besides me else with "manual" seats is complaining about driving position?
Greeting from Poland!
I am 186cm tall (6 foot 1) and I find the driving position perfect with manual sport seats. In the town I usually drive with a few "pumps" of the seat above the lowest position.
When I'm out of town or on a longer trip I always drop the seat to the bottom. It's more than low enough for my taste.

The only thing I found after long road trips is that the door armrest is not ideal. It's a bit hard, too small and to far from the body for my seating position. It gives me a bit of strain in the left side of my neck/shoulder. For reference, I am sitting "by the book": legs slightly bent in the knee, backrest is just slightly leaned back (almost upright), the steering wheel is pulled out completely so that my both hands can work on the steering wheel in all positions without my shoulders losing contact with the seat.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2020, 04:22 PM   #3
upsidedownfunnel
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

Garage List
2014 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Might be a dumb question but are you sure you lowered the seat all the way with the height adjustment lever? I've sat in a manually adjusted BMW seat before and the range of adjustment seemed to be pretty good. I'm 187cm.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2020, 06:46 AM   #4
kuki
Poland
Rep
Drives: 330i M Sport g20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calamari View Post
I am 186cm tall (6 foot 1) and I find the driving position perfect with manual sport seats. In the town I usually drive with a few "pumps" of the seat above the lowest position.
Really? I have sometimes difficulties seeing traffic lights from inside the car and I am definitely at the lowest possible position.
Quick question: Do you guys have lumbar support in your car? Because I do and I believe this is the case. I found some mechanism under the seat - maybe without that it could go lower...

Or maybe I am just not acquainted with BMW perfect driving position - in my previous Alfa Giulia I felt like being positioned almost on the ground, while here my shoulders are way above the windows line and I just feel like driving SUV
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2020, 09:16 AM   #5
Calamari
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuki View Post
Really? I have sometimes difficulties seeing traffic lights from inside the car and I am definitely at the lowest possible position.
Quick question: Do you guys have lumbar support in your car? Because I do and I believe this is the case. I found some mechanism under the seat - maybe without that it could go lower...

Or maybe I am just not acquainted with BMW perfect driving position - in my previous Alfa Giulia I felt like being positioned almost on the ground, while here my shoulders are way above the windows line and I just feel like driving SUV
I do have lumbar support. So we have the exact same seat configuration.

All new sedans or compacts these days come with very tall window line (to improve passive safety and increase rigidity of the chasis) so it's not strange that your sholders are not above the window line so much.

Last edited by Calamari; 06-03-2020 at 02:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2020, 06:36 AM   #6
Pic18
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18' F80 Comp, Spec E46

Interesting, back in the day the manual seats were always the option to get the seat as low as possible as the electric seats didn't go as low.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2020, 02:49 PM   #7
Calamari
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pic18 View Post
Interesting, back in the day the manual seats were always the option to get the seat as low as possible as the electric seats didn't go as low.
Yap. Electric mechanism didnt go as far down as the mechanical one.
Appreciate 0