BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

03-10-2019, 02:36 PM   #23
10"
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: orange BMW 1M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mako View Post
This is tough, ultimately I want a M4GC but no clue if it will even be made this generation, if it is I am guessing 2022 introduction.

My M3 is turning 4 this September, only 19,000 miles but the cost of extended warranty and maintenance seems pretty high and at the same time I couldn't see owning a high cost car like that without a warranty...

So do I go for a used M5 (really don't want anything longer than 190" though) or a X3M, wait for new M3 (1 year?) or just extend warranty for something like 3 years and wait for M4GC

Probably something in between, go for X3M now, keep for 3 years and hopefully M4GC is made.
19k miles is nothing. Man up and own a car for more than 3 or 4 years. What happened to enthusiasts?! Car enthusiasts used to be real peeps who bought cars they loved and kept them for years...in the past few years I've seen the softening of these enthusiasts into becoming just consumers and materialists who barely even drive their cars and buy another.

Old school enthusiasts would giggle at current enthusiasts. Get to a 100k miles on a car and THEN you will know how to drive it...keep a car 10 years. Don't buy the hype. With every generation BMW M cars are getting WORSE to drive not better...so enjoy what you have. Spending money on maintenance is cheaper and smarter than spending money on a new car!!!
seis-speed2426.00
kyrix1st2350.50
Brasko1418.00
Sedan_Clan24817.00
      03-10-2019, 03:55 PM   #24
Jashan
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10" View Post
19k miles is nothing. Man up and own a car for more than 3 or 4 years. What happened to enthusiasts?! Car enthusiasts used to be real peeps who bought cars they loved and kept them for years...in the past few years I've seen the softening of these enthusiasts into becoming just consumers and materialists who barely even drive their cars and buy another.

Old school enthusiasts would giggle at current enthusiasts. Get to a 100k miles on a car and THEN you will know how to drive it...keep a car 10 years. Don't buy the hype. With every generation BMW M cars are getting WORSE to drive not better...so enjoy what you have. Spending money on maintenance is cheaper and smarter than spending money on a new car!!!
Factssss
      03-10-2019, 05:27 PM   #25
stein_325i
Ring Leader of G8X Haters
No_Country
Rep
Drives: A Car

Quote:
This is tough, ultimately I want a M4GC but no clue if it will even be made this generation, if it is I am guessing 2022 introduction.

My M3 is turning 4 this September, only 19,000 miles but the cost of extended warranty and maintenance seems pretty high and at the same time I couldn't see owning a high cost car like that without a warranty...

So do I go for a used M5 (really don't want anything longer than 190" though) or a X3M, wait for new M3 (1 year?) or just extend warranty for something like 3 years and wait for M4GC

Probably something in between, go for X3M now, keep for 3 years and hopefully M4GC is made.
Would leasing be a cheaper option for you? Especially since it seems you put on low milage, then you could lease an X3 M and wait for the possible M4GC
      03-11-2019, 04:00 AM   #26
Colinv6
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 comp, Mexico / Opal

Quote:

This is so right, it’s something I’ve been guilty of myself and I can feel myself changing to this mindset.

A few years ago i saw spy pics of the new models and was practically phoning my dealer with a deposit. Now I just think, yeah nice, and happily keep enjoying my own car. Not that I’ve had it long, but I’m going to make a point of keeping it and enjoy it.
Appreciate 1
10"4946.00
      03-11-2019, 11:59 AM   #27
Deja_Vu
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4

Quote:

Gatekeeping much? Some people like to cycle through cars every few years. And why shouldn't they if they have the money to? Lol @ "With every generation BMW M cars are getting WORSE to drive not better." Yes technology over the years has definitely made the handling and power of the cars worse. Nurburgring times definitely show that

Also, I could go on to say "you're not a real BMW fan unless you own an M car or have done ED." See how ridiculous it sounds?

My ED thread

Last edited by Deja_Vu; 03-11-2019 at 05:13 PM..
Appreciate 1
HR9970.00
      03-12-2019, 09:02 PM   #28
jlhymb
Private
Rep
Drives: ymb

Drive another marque for three years
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2019, 12:49 PM   #29
brianeck
Part Time Firetruck Crash Barrier
Rep
Drives: 2022 M340ix Mineral Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureModelsOnly View Post
I also had both and I respectfully disagree. The purported style of the GC doesn't justify the price and weight increase (power tailgate and such). Maybe if the G82 has smaller kidney grilles I'd consider it.
It's not just style - I'd pay more for the utility. The hatch makes it like a track worthy pickup truck.

I had an a5 sportback loaner a few weeks ago and it really is amazing how much space there is by there. My dog had a full panoramic romp room with the seats folded down he pretty much never wanted to leave.

I thought the car was bland and disconnected but that's a different story lol.

m340ix Mineral Grey/Tacora Red
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2019, 07:19 PM   #30
Brasko
#LSBM3
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M3

Garage List
Keep your current M and trade it in when the new M4GC arrives if that is what you really want.

I'm sure nothing extensive will happen to your current ride in the next couple years given it only has 19k on the odometer.

/// M3
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2019, 06:27 AM   #31
IB M
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 MG/SO ZCP DCT

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [8.50]
2013 BMW M3  [10.00]
What are the reasons / advantages of a M4GC over a M3?

Curious on your thoughts. Is it just looks? Otherwise aren't the cars very similar?
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2019, 01:10 PM   #32
rccoleman
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi S5 Sportback

Aside from the more attractive lines (in my opinion, of course), the liftback makes the cargo space much easier to access, especially for large, boxy items that don't really fit through a comparatively narrow trunk opening. For instance, I bought two pedestals for my washer/dryer and I was able to fit both giant boxes in my Audi S5 Sportback. There's no way that would have worked with a standard trunk. I don't do it often, but having the ability to transport large items from time to time is really convenient without having to move to an SUV. Now that I've had one for a year, the liftback/sportback/GC is definitely my favorite body style and I wouldn't want to go back to a standard sedan.
Appreciate 1
sikotic482.00
      03-29-2019, 03:17 PM   #33
Mako
(Sold) '00 M Roadster '06 M Coupe '16 M3 '20 X3MC
Rep
Drives: '23 M3 comp

Quote:

I could argue the complete opposite, enthusiast should want to drive MORE cars in their lifetime than just a few. years ago there weren't many options now there are endless ones (hell just look at how many choices there are for small SUVs with 400+ HP). Also as someone else said the technology is changing faster than ever, 5 years between cars is a big difference now, look at tech and performance numbers between generations (the new M340i xdrive will almost keep up with a G80 M3 on the street). Why be trapped to one car, you only live once
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2019, 10:11 AM   #34
Fuller
Major
Rep
Drives: F36 435i

Quote:
Quote:

I could argue the complete opposite, enthusiast should want to drive MORE cars in their lifetime than just a few. years ago there weren't many options now there are endless ones (hell just look at how many choices there are for small SUVs with 400+ HP). Also as someone else said the technology is changing faster than ever, 5 years between cars is a big difference now, look at tech and performance numbers between generations (the new M340i xdrive will almost keep up with a G80 M3 on the street). Why be trapped to one car, you only live once
"Enthusiasts" come in all different shapes, sizes, and behavior patterns. If looking at, thinking about, reading about, discussing, driving, or buying cool cars tickles the pleasure centers in your brain, you're an automobile enthusiast. Not everyone is an enthusiast on the same level of devotion, but simply loving cars as more than mere appliances is enough to define one as an enthusiast, even if on a more casual level than a devoted hobbyist.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2022, 08:29 PM   #35
Krush
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M550i

Found this old thread about M4 GC. They have a M440i GC now but I still wish there was an full fledge M4 Gran Coupe version. I love my M550i and my M3 comp xdrive is on the way, but I would jump on the first opportunity to get a M4 GC comp xdrive. I hope its a reality in the future!
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2022, 09:50 AM   #36
'Cane
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Aventurin/SS G82 xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krush View Post
Found this old thread about M4 GC. They have a M440i GC now but I still wish there was an full fledge M4 Gran Coupe version. I love my M550i and my M3 comp xdrive is on the way, but I would jump on the first opportunity to get a M4 GC comp xdrive. I hope its a reality in the future!
I think it would look nice, the test mule for the electrified M4 seems to have used a GC platform (you can see the C-pillar is not as far back).
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-15-2022, 03:00 PM   #37
kjx
///M ♥ Recycled Dinosaurs
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4, BMW X5 45e

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Cane View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krush View Post
I think it would look nice, the test mule for the electrified M4 seems to have used a GC platform (you can see the C-pillar is not as far back).
I'd say they used GC as the platform because the production car closest to what could serve as a prototype for testing various newer electric drivetrain components is the i4, which is 4 door.

While I would love to see a proper M in a 4 GC format, having owned one, I can see why they would likely never be able to achieve the chassis rigidity M cars promise in one of these. They'd need to add a lot of bracing at the rear which wouldn't really be "compatible" with the hatch format.

I don't know how they've handled it (and to what extent) in the M3 touring. There is only so much you can engineer before physics and practicality comes in the way of things - see X3M, X5M and the lack of an X7M altogether.