Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions Thoughts after one month in my M340i

04-27-2020, 05:18 PM   #45
ryivnx
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M5Comp, E46M3 6MT, 328d, M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by socialpro1 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryivnx View Post
I was skeptical at first (I have a couple of M3s and and F series car).
I then "upgraded" M specific cluster to my M340 and it looks more legible.
I actually quite like it now
Is that done through coding?
Yes, it is done through Bimmercode
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2020, 08:56 PM   #46
NewM3driver
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 ZCP

Quote:
That looks to be a substantial improvement. How do I get that to happen? Back to the dealer?
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2020, 05:21 AM   #47
DConceicao
Enlisted Member
Portugal
Rep
Drives: BMW G21 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewM3driver View Post
Just because Aston does something dumb does not mean BMW needs to follow. The BMW cluster is an illegible disaster.
You said it worked clockwise for ages, I just wanted to show that there are other brands that do the anti-clockwise, some for a large amount of years as well.

Regarding the BMW Cluster, I will try it out next week when I get my car.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2020, 06:21 AM   #48
NewM3driver
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DConceicao View Post
You said it worked clockwise for ages, I just wanted to show that there are other brands that do the anti-clockwise, some for a large amount of years as well.

Regarding the BMW Cluster, I will try it out next week when I get my car.
I get it, but let's agree that 99% of the automobile gauges you see are clockwise.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2020, 07:07 AM   #49
Bmwphile
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2020 G20 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transfer View Post
Every time I go out to my garage I'm like wow this tanazanite is incredible. So glad I paid extra for it. Needs a lot of TLC to stay clean but worth it.
+1

Interestingly in Australia, even though TB is an Individual Colour, there was no extra charge for it above the cost of the standard metallic colour. So lucky for me!
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2020, 10:46 AM   #50
electriCK
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i xDrive

Really good assessment.

I'm coming from a F80 M3 Competition Pack - I feel like the G20 chassis is significantly more refined. The speed always catches me by surprise and the car doesn't feel like it's going as fast as the speedometer indicates. Excited to see how the new chassis will translate into the new M3.

From a daily driver perspective, I think the ZF transmission is a big improvement relative to the 7spd DCT, which tended to be jerky from a complete stop if you didn't finesse the throttle and did not enjoy stop-n-go traffic. However, i do wish that when in any sport mode that the auto start-stop feature would stay on. In my M3, the auto start stop can be kept on regardless of drive mode as long as the transmission was not in manual mode. Wish this feature carried over to our G20s.

The F80 needed to be "pushed" to get speed out of it, but this characteristic made the F80 more of occasion to drive.

The G20 is better at having a dual personality compared to the F80. The adaptive suspension optioned on the car makes it much better over rough pavement, and now i don't mind taking my G20 around town (or downtown) as much as i did the M3, which i had to plan the route and make sure there wasn't construction or rough areas. The G20 is better at playing the role of a luxury cruiser, which is more in line with its mission. Sport and Sport Plus mode make a big difference in the feel of the car. So love that whenever I come across a fun road, i can just switch it to a more aggressive driving mode, and then back to comfort when it's just a straight highway shot. I do wish that the car defaulted into the driving mode that it was previously left in, rather than defaulting to comfort on every start-up.

This is the first xDrive BMW I've owned and not sure if it's tuning of the electric steering rack or the more narrow tires, but the steering feel is something to be desired. The steering right off center is where the biggest difference comes into play. The F80 was immediate - every degree of steering angle was translated into a body motion for the car. The G20 takes just those few milliseconds to get pointed and the car tracking within the driving line that doesn't inspire as much confidence. In all fairness, the F80 had 265/285 width tires, so naturally more steering feel because of the wider tires.

I don't know if it's just me, but the F80 interior seemed more spacious. Not sure if the competition seats are mounted lower than the G20 seats or if the carbon fiber roof w no sunroof just makes that big of a difference, but the G20 doesn't provide as much headroom. I also feel like the F80 fit my body better than the G20 for a more comfortable driving position that's easier to find. The G20 seating position is reminiscent of my E92 where it felt like i was sitting on top of the car rather than inside of the car, which can definitely be felt in sharper turns or decreasing radius turns.

Lots of folks are complaining about the digital cockpit and i'll dog pile onto the complaint. I too prefer analog gauges since those are easier to glean more information from at a glance relative to the digital gauges. I think that if there was more of a visual "needle" to visualize position on the speedo/tach, then this could potentially be a better solution. Also, i was surprised as to how little configuration is available within the cockpit. I test drove a MB C43 AMG and Audi S5 Sportback before deciding on the M340i, and i think MB did a better job at differentiating between the drive modes as well as the overall aesthetic / design. In the BMW I wish there was a larger distinction between eco pro, comfort, sport, and sport plus modes. Fingers crossed for OTA updates???

Other small complaints: the omission of a physical cooling/heating wheel that's now virtual and the lack of an AC button. These are my biggest gripes about the HVAC controls! Wish they had left those features as hard buttons/toggles rather than an on-screen selection. Also, the headlight turn on feature (i know most will likely leave it in auto and let the car figure it out), but on the F80 and E92, i really liked the dial feature since it didn't require playing with buttons and taking eyes off the road. I have the laser lights on the G20, and they seem to work as good as the LED lights in the F80, so not sure if that upgrade was really worth it (unless having cooler shaped DRLs and auto-highbeam are important to you). Also - the trunk only has one grocery bag hanger and the floor of the trunk is damn near impossible to prop open. My E92 had a feature to keep the trunk floor open and held. My F80 had 2 grocery bag hangers and a small opening to lift the trunk floor.

Both the F80 and G20 are optioned with the HK sound system, and it's shocking difference. I think the G20 sound system is finally up to par with other luxury car manufacturers. Sound quality is of high fidelity and doesn't require as much as volume to really hear the music. The speaker grills also look great in the door panels and rear deck. The ambient lighting is much better in the G20 as well since it's a more pronounced design. Really cool feature that i didn't think i would enjoy as much as i do. The sunroof in the G20 is great too. It's bigger than a standard sunroof and the cabin is filled with a ton of natural light with the shade open.

In comparison, i think the G20 vs. F80 - that the G20 w M Performance Exhaust sounds more refined, less raspy, and really starts singing past 4k RPM. The standstill videos on YouTube of the exhaust don't do the sound justice.

I love the paint. I think BMW has been knocking it out of the park with the paint colors. My F80 was in Sakhir Orange, and the G20 is optioned with Portimao Blue w Cognac interior. Keep up the fun colors BMW, and fellow forum members to keep buying the fun colors!

Sucks during COVID that we aren't able to drive our cars more as i'm sure there will be plenty more than i like about the car over time (so far only 600 miles on the odometer).
Appreciate 3
EXE462097.00
seccsc239.00
Transfer5242.50
      04-28-2020, 08:26 PM   #51
ryivnx
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M5Comp, E46M3 6MT, 328d, M340i

Quote:
Quote:
That looks to be a substantial improvement. How do I get that to happen? Back to the dealer?
No, this can be done in minutes with Bimmercode app and an OBD2 connector that this app supports.
I like the look but 2 drawbacks:
1. The red and yellow tachometer warning gradations dont match that of B58 engine.

2. Rev count goes away on heads up display when you put it in sport mode. Altho this is fixable as I am talking with coders from Europe who can bring that rev counter back to HUD
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2020, 09:59 PM   #52
NewM3driver
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmwphile View Post
+1

Interestingly in Australia, even though TB is an Individual Colour, there was no extra charge for it above the cost of the standard metallic colour. So lucky for me!
What does the car cost over there? In US dollars?
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2020, 11:26 PM   #53
pmunger
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Quote:
What does the car cost over there? In US dollars?
about $70K US$
      05-12-2020, 03:33 AM   #54
DConceicao
Enlisted Member
Portugal
Rep

Quote:
I get it, but let's agree that 99% of the automobile gauges you see are clockwise.
I agree with you, it is strange and it's harder to see, however with the digital cluster designers have gone mad. Currently in 2020 I would not say that 99% are clockwise...

Peugeot is even worse:

All Citroen and DS are very strange:

Hyundai:

Last edited by DConceicao; 05-12-2020 at 08:19 AM.. Reason: Typo
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2020, 06:55 AM   #55
Jbrock22
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2pw

Garage List
BMW   [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by electriCK View Post
Really good assessment.

I'm coming from a F80 M3 Competition Pack - I feel like the G20 chassis is significantly more refined. The speed always catches me by surprise and the car doesn't feel like it's going as fast as the speedometer indicates. Excited to see how the new chassis will translate into the new M3.

From a daily driver perspective, I think the ZF transmission is a big improvement relative to the 7spd DCT, which tended to be jerky from a complete stop if you didn't finesse the throttle and did not enjoy stop-n-go traffic. However, i do wish that when in any sport mode that the auto start-stop feature would stay on. In my M3, the auto start stop can be kept on regardless of drive mode as long as the transmission was not in manual mode. Wish this feature carried over to our G20s.

The F80 needed to be "pushed" to get speed out of it, but this characteristic made the F80 more of occasion to drive.

The G20 is better at having a dual personality compared to the F80. The adaptive suspension optioned on the car makes it much better over rough pavement, and now i don't mind taking my G20 around town (or downtown) as much as i did the M3, which i had to plan the route and make sure there wasn't construction or rough areas. The G20 is better at playing the role of a luxury cruiser, which is more in line with its mission. Sport and Sport Plus mode make a big difference in the feel of the car. So love that whenever I come across a fun road, i can just switch it to a more aggressive driving mode, and then back to comfort when it's just a straight highway shot. I do wish that the car defaulted into the driving mode that it was previously left in, rather than defaulting to comfort on every start-up.

This is the first xDrive BMW I've owned and not sure if it's tuning of the electric steering rack or the more narrow tires, but the steering feel is something to be desired. The steering right off center is where the biggest difference comes into play. The F80 was immediate - every degree of steering angle was translated into a body motion for the car. The G20 takes just those few milliseconds to get pointed and the car tracking within the driving line that doesn't inspire as much confidence. In all fairness, the F80 had 265/285 width tires, so naturally more steering feel because of the wider tires.

I don't know if it's just me, but the F80 interior seemed more spacious. Not sure if the competition seats are mounted lower than the G20 seats or if the carbon fiber roof w no sunroof just makes that big of a difference, but the G20 doesn't provide as much headroom. I also feel like the F80 fit my body better than the G20 for a more comfortable driving position that's easier to find. The G20 seating position is reminiscent of my E92 where it felt like i was sitting on top of the car rather than inside of the car, which can definitely be felt in sharper turns or decreasing radius turns.

Lots of folks are complaining about the digital cockpit and i'll dog pile onto the complaint. I too prefer analog gauges since those are easier to glean more information from at a glance relative to the digital gauges. I think that if there was more of a visual "needle" to visualize position on the speedo/tach, then this could potentially be a better solution. Also, i was surprised as to how little configuration is available within the cockpit. I test drove a MB C43 AMG and Audi S5 Sportback before deciding on the M340i, and i think MB did a better job at differentiating between the drive modes as well as the overall aesthetic / design. In the BMW I wish there was a larger distinction between eco pro, comfort, sport, and sport plus modes. Fingers crossed for OTA updates???

Other small complaints: the omission of a physical cooling/heating wheel that's now virtual and the lack of an AC button. These are my biggest gripes about the HVAC controls! Wish they had left those features as hard buttons/toggles rather than an on-screen selection. Also, the headlight turn on feature (i know most will likely leave it in auto and let the car figure it out), but on the F80 and E92, i really liked the dial feature since it didn't require playing with buttons and taking eyes off the road. I have the laser lights on the G20, and they seem to work as good as the LED lights in the F80, so not sure if that upgrade was really worth it (unless having cooler shaped DRLs and auto-highbeam are important to you). Also - the trunk only has one grocery bag hanger and the floor of the trunk is damn near impossible to prop open. My E92 had a feature to keep the trunk floor open and held. My F80 had 2 grocery bag hangers and a small opening to lift the trunk floor.

Both the F80 and G20 are optioned with the HK sound system, and it's shocking difference. I think the G20 sound system is finally up to par with other luxury car manufacturers. Sound quality is of high fidelity and doesn't require as much as volume to really hear the music. The speaker grills also look great in the door panels and rear deck. The ambient lighting is much better in the G20 as well since it's a more pronounced design. Really cool feature that i didn't think i would enjoy as much as i do. The sunroof in the G20 is great too. It's bigger than a standard sunroof and the cabin is filled with a ton of natural light with the shade open.

In comparison, i think the G20 vs. F80 - that the G20 w M Performance Exhaust sounds more refined, less raspy, and really starts singing past 4k RPM. The standstill videos on YouTube of the exhaust don't do the sound justice.

I love the paint. I think BMW has been knocking it out of the park with the paint colors. My F80 was in Sakhir Orange, and the G20 is optioned with Portimao Blue w Cognac interior. Keep up the fun colors BMW, and fellow forum members to keep buying the fun colors!

Sucks during COVID that we aren't able to drive our cars more as i'm sure there will be plenty more than i like about the car over time (so far only 600 miles on the odometer).
To turn on/off the air conditioning, I use voice commands. I also have a memory button dedicated to it.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2020, 08:05 AM   #56
Burrcold
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW M3 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbrock22 View Post
To turn on/off the air conditioning, I use voice commands. I also have a memory button dedicated to it.
Unfortunatly the memory button can only bring you to the AC menu. You still have to scroll to the right and click the AC box. I do use the voice command though to turn it on and off, although sometimes when it's off and I'll say "turn AC on" (very clearly), I'll get the response "your air conditioning is already set to off"
      05-12-2020, 09:46 AM   #57
Jbrock22
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2pw

Garage List
BMW   [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burrcold View Post
Quote:
Unfortunatly the memory button can only bring you to the AC menu. You still have to scroll to the right and click the AC box. I do use the voice command though to turn it on and off, although sometimes when it's off and I'll say "turn AC on" (very clearly), I'll get the response "your air conditioning is already set to off"
Mine is set up to show the the "air" check off box once I press the bottom.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2020, 10:40 AM   #58
Burrcold
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Mine is set up to show the the "air" check off box once I press the bottom.
That's what I meant. The point is that it's still a two button process even when you use the memory buttons. Click memory button then click or unclick the AC button.
      05-12-2020, 10:42 AM   #59
electriCK
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i xDrive

Quote:
This is genius. Didn't even think that the button can be set! Thanks for this tip!
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2020, 10:51 AM   #60
Burrcold
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by electriCK View Post
This is genius. Didn't even think that the button can be set! Thanks for this tip!
It can't be. It can only get you to the box that you can click or unclick the AC button...as I said above, it's still a two step process.
      05-13-2020, 02:40 AM   #61
dchar
Rep
Drives: Mercedes C300

Those of you complaining about the gauge cluster...did you consider what BMW has planned for the center portion of the screen, causing the rev counter to go in a counter clockwise direction? With a bit of coding, you can get additional views and features, which is especially useful if you have the Driver's Assistance Professional Package!

Appreciate 0
      05-13-2020, 03:50 AM   #62
moonboy
Enlisted Member
Solomon Islands
Rep
Drives: cartt

The missing AC button is even worse with sunroof, I used to disable AC with sunroof open in summer in my E90. Once you open sunroof in summer with G20 your AC goes nuts, shall at least turn off AC automagically with open sunroof.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2020, 08:11 AM   #63
DConceicao
Enlisted Member
Portugal
Rep

After 3 weeks with the car the opposite dash does not creates any issue to me but I understand it is sometime hard to read. I think that there is a lot of information been presented.

In the speedometer you get the speed you are doing, the green line with the limiter and a red shadow if you are above the speed limit based on the signal recognition... that becomes a bit confusing.

But the thing that I don't understand is why there are "warning lights" inside the digital cockpit and some outside as regular dashes. Anyone knows?

Appreciate 0
      05-29-2020, 08:51 AM   #64
Burrcold
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DConceicao View Post
After 3 weeks with the car the opposite dash does not creates any issue to me but I understand it is sometime hard to read. I think that there is a lot of information been presented.

In the speedometer you get the speed you are doing, the green line with the limiter and a red shadow if you are above the speed limit based on the signal recognition... that becomes a bit confusing.

But the thing that I don't understand is why there are "warning lights" inside the digital cockpit and some outside as regular dashes. Anyone knows?

I'm assuming it's so that you can see your light controls (on/off) even if the gauges aren't on.