Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions Initial thoughts from an original E90 335i owner

04-21-2020, 08:31 AM   #1
seccsc
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20 M340xi

The car is big. I did not realize how much bigger until owning it even after test driving. I need to go weigh it and see how it actually compares to my E90, which was 3600 lbs.

Steering: After coming from an E90 335i, I prefer the Sport Plus steering. I find the comfort to be too easy. As far as feel based on past critic assessments, in my opinion has been blown out of proportion. I'm not at all appalled by the steering but I am probably in the minority.

Technology: Awesome! It is information overload. My E90 did not have iDrive. Finding the information(e. g. oil temperature) has typically been an Easter egg hunt.
Apply CarPlay is awesome but I don't understand why I can't plug it in and use it. I typically use my other phone as a WiFi to maintain signal continuity but since CarPlay is WiFi only, that is not plausible. I'm going to have to rethink my strategy for listening to CNN and other music apps. This will be topic of conversation with my follow-up BMW genius appointment.

Traction: While driving to work, I took my normal work exit with new car, which was a fun turn. I typically shut off DSC in my old car to maintain power through out the turn and not be interrupted DSC kicking in. I tried today with the M340xi and there was with no drama. I was no where near the limit of the car and would of been beyond the limit of my old car. xDrive is the bomb!

I will post more thoughts as I drive the car.
RedKloud736.00
      04-21-2020, 11:18 AM   #2
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Thank you for sharing

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 1
seccsc239.00
      04-21-2020, 05:45 PM   #3
jlapicki
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

Thanks......keep us posted....I am vicariously living through you.
2017 M2 - Alpine White / Black - SOLD
2001 e39 M5 - Titanium / Caramel - A "Keeper"
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2020, 07:15 PM   #4
seccsc
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlapicki View Post
Thanks......keep us posted....I am vicariously living through you.
Here is post ceramic coating picture.
I did do not execute the front since I have ppf to install.
Attached Images

04-22-2020, 11:10 AM   #5
zamboni
I want to drive a Zamboni
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13 E93 M3 18 F80 M3 16 K71

Garage List
16 K71 F800GT  [10.00]
2018 F80 M3  [10.00]
2013 BMW E93 M3  [10.00]
You can access CNN from your Sat radio and the wifi CarPlay is one of the best feature on BMW.

2000 E46,2006 E90,09 E82,13 E93 328i,14 F30 335i,18 F80 M3
My next vehicle would be a Zamboni
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2020, 02:25 PM   #6
seccsc
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamboni View Post
You can access CNN from your Sat radio and the wifi CarPlay is one of the best feature on BMW.
Correct but I will not be using the SAT radio after the year is out.
I agree that the CarPlay Wifi is nice but IMHO would be better if plugging in was an option.
      04-22-2020, 02:56 PM   #7
MineralM
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 2020 M340xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by seccsc View Post
Quote:
I agree that the CarPlay Wifi is nice but IMHO would be better if plugging in was an option.
I mean you can always just connect with Bluetooth so you don't have to be on wifi. You will lose carplay though.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2020, 06:06 PM   #8
-EndOfAnEra-
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i RWD

Garage List
Quote:
The car is big. I did not realize how much bigger until owning it even after test driving. I need to go weigh it and see how it actually compares to my E90, which was 3600 lbs.

Steering: After coming from an E90 335i, I prefer the Sport Plus steering. I find the comfort to be too easy. As far as feel based on past critic assessments, in my opinion has been blown out of proportion. I'm not at all appalled by the steering but I am probably in the minority.

Technology: Awesome! It is information overload. My E90 did not have iDrive. Finding the information(e. g. oil temperature) has typically been an Easter egg hunt.
Apply CarPlay is awesome but I don't understand why I can't plug it in and use it. I typically use my other phone as a WiFi to maintain signal continuity but since CarPlay is WiFi only, that is not plausible. I'm going to have to rethink my strategy for listening to CNN and other music apps. This will be topic of conversation with my follow-up BMW genius appointment.

Traction: While driving to work, I took my normal work exit with new car, which was a fun turn. I typically shut off DSC in my old car to maintain power through out the turn and not be interrupted DSC kicking in. I tried today with the M340xi and there was with no drama. I was no where near the limit of the car and would of been beyond the limit of my old car. xDrive is the bomb!

Congratulations and awesome to hear from another former E90 driver! Here's what I can contribute:

1. Weight difference is between 375 and 400 lbs RWD E90 to xDrive G20. It was the chief reason I ended up in RWD. Do you notice a big difference? The chassis limits are so much higher that I feel the G20 may actually be as agile despite the size and weight, especially with the M diff!

2. Very curious if you feel Sport Plus actually adds more feel? After nearly a month doing highly limited driving, I haven't been able to play with it as much, except that in my experience it adds a sense of heaviness but doesn't let you feel the steering angle and loading as you corner any better than comfort. However, because it is extremely precise, you can "fudge" it for lack of a better term.

3. The tech is awesome, but agree that finding common items is a needle in a haystack sometimes. The assistant helps sometimes but other times, you just have to dedicate 30 minutes in the garage to hunting through iDrive

How are you liking the digital dash? I found it to be information overload, so I turned on reduced mode and put speed and tach on the HUD (if you have it of course). This makes it much cleaner.

4. While I don't have xDrive, I was shocked just how much more grip the RWD with the M diff and the increased chassis stiffness has over the E90. I am able to comfortably make some really tight decreasing radius turns with full power almost immediately at corner exit, turns that my E90 would always step out on. I can't imagine how much grip the xDrive must have!

Good luck and looking forward to your thoughts!
Appreciate 1
seccsc239.00
      04-22-2020, 07:30 PM   #9
seccsc
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MineralM View Post
Quote:
Quote:
I mean you can always just connect with Bluetooth so you don't have to be on wifi. You will lose carplay though.
Agree. My alternate solution will be just plug it in since the data rate will be better when I want to listen to whatever App and use my other phone as a wifi when I'm not using the CarPlay. It's a minor issue.
      04-23-2020, 09:30 PM   #10
seccsc
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by -EndOfAnEra- View Post
Quote:

Congratulations and awesome to hear from another former E90 driver! Here's what I can contribute:

1. Weight difference is between 375 and 400 lbs RWD E90 to xDrive G20. It was the chief reason I ended up in RWD. Do you notice a big difference? The chassis limits are so much higher that I feel the G20 may actually be as agile despite the size and weight, especially with the M diff!

2. Very curious if you feel Sport Plus actually adds more feel? After nearly a month doing highly limited driving, I haven't been able to play with it as much, except that in my experience it adds a sense of heaviness but doesn't let you feel the steering angle and loading as you corner any better than comfort. However, because it is extremely precise, you can "fudge" it for lack of a better term.

3. The tech is awesome, but agree that finding common items is a needle in a haystack sometimes. The assistant helps sometimes but other times, you just have to dedicate 30 minutes in the garage to hunting through iDrive

How are you liking the digital dash? I found it to be information overload, so I turned on reduced mode and put speed and tach on the HUD (if you have it of course). This makes it much cleaner.

4. While I don't have xDrive, I was shocked just how much more grip the RWD with the M diff and the increased chassis stiffness has over the E90. I am able to comfortably make some really tight decreasing radius turns with full power almost immediately at corner exit, turns that my E90 would always step out on. I can't imagine how much grip the xDrive must have!

Sir, I apologize for the delay in responding. I have been installing PPF(clear bra) all day and will respond tomorrow. I do have some updates and more perspective. Cheers!
      04-24-2020, 12:34 AM   #11
zamboni
I want to drive a Zamboni
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13 E93 M3 18 F80 M3 16 K71

Garage List
16 K71 F800GT  [10.00]
2018 F80 M3  [10.00]
2013 BMW E93 M3  [10.00]
Quote:
I don't understand why you would say the plug in option is better wireless on Carplay? My DD Toyota came with Carplay with plug in and it's annoying and you can renew the Sat radio relatively inexpensive.

2000 E46,2006 E90,09 E82,13 E93 328i,14 F30 335i,18 F80 M3
My next vehicle would be a Zamboni
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2020, 05:52 AM   #12
seccsc
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I don't understand why you would say the plug in option is better wireless on Carplay? My DD Toyota came with Carplay with plug in and it's annoying and you can renew the Sat radio relatively inexpensive.
I was just saying having the capability to use CarPlay with BOTH WiFi and plug-in would be nice but is a minor issue.

The principle problem is most likely my personal phone carrier in some areas may have a poor signal. While supplementing it with my work phone to assist (different carrier)when I am listening to youtube music, cnn, etc.
This is an easy day by just switching to iDrive instead of CarPlay sometimes when I want another WiFi.

I have never thought to purchase SAT radio due to not even using it. The news channel and music apps I listen to are already paid for. I guess I will checkout the cost.

I appreciate the insight.
      04-24-2020, 08:21 AM   #13
seccsc
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by -EndOfAnEra- View Post
Quote:

EndOfAnEra,
I do appreciate your thread a few weeks ago and some of your comments here.

1. I do feel like the G20 is light on its feet. Do I believe the car is almost 4000 lbs? I don't think so. I executed many military moves over the years and my E90 weighed with a full tank of fuel right at 3600 lbs. I need to drive out to a truck stop and verify the actual weight with a full tank of fuel. Do I notice a big difference? Yes and no. The car is bigger, so yes, on that perspective. Do I feel it when I'm driving the curvy bends? No. The car is pretty amazing around the turns. Too bad the car does not record and supply an all-wheel Drive event display. This would provide some perspective how much front wheel drive is being applied.
2. Does Sport Plus provide more steering feel? I am with you, I haven't had enough drive time to make an assessment. However, I do prefer the Sport Plus steering. I have a 120 miles on the odometer.
3. I do like the digital dash, even the tachometer. At first seeing the tach, I did not but don't mind it now. Just like you, I'm usually using the HUD anyway.
I haven't tried the reduced mode. I will try the reduced mode this weekend or next week when I drive to work.
4. The xDrive grip is outstanding. One of the main reasons I bought the option is later when I will tune the car. IMHO, this was a must option for the power later on. And second reason was if my future job placed me in a snowy or bad weather region, I now have all wheel drive.

I few other things to discuss,

1. Power delivery and the tranny shifting is awesome. The ZF tranny is amazing and lightening quick. Is M340i more powerful than my previous E90? In my short assessment, no. I had MHD Stage 2 and XHP Stage 2 on my N54. However, I haven't been able to really flog it during the break in.

Cheers!
      04-24-2020, 08:36 AM   #14
seccsc
Captain
United_States
Rep

I probably need to get my Flame Suit on for this posting and the ///M but my wife made these cool car coasters for me. I just wanted to share.
Attached Images

04-24-2020, 08:41 AM   #15
Burrcold
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2024 M3 Comp xDrive

Quote:
I probably need to get my Flame Suit on for this posting and the ///M but my wife made these cool car coasters for me. I just wanted to share.
At least you can close the lid...lol just kidding, they look pretty decent (not my cup of tea but a nice thought from the wife...mine would never do something for me car related EVER!) haha
seccsc239.00
      04-24-2020, 08:47 AM   #16
seccsc
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burrcold View Post
Quote:
At least you can close the lid...lol just kidding, they look pretty decent (not my cup of tea but a nice thought from the wife...mine would never do something for me car related EVER!) haha
It's funny you say that. My wife has been pist at me for the last week since delivering the car. I've ceramic coated, installed PPF, multiple cleanings, and late at night learning sessions in the car. 🤷🏻*♂️
      04-24-2020, 08:54 AM   #17
Burrcold
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
It's funny you say that. My wife has been pist at me for the last week since delivering the car. I've ceramic coated, installed PPF, multiple cleanings, and late at night learning sessions in the car. ����*♂️
LOL been through that as well (although the ceramic coating and PPF are "invisible" so I might have failed to mention they were even done ...she would think it's nuts to spend money on something you can't see). The late night sitting in my car...yup she thinks I'm crazy, but it's the only time I can think without the kids asking for ten million things. When I took delivery I basically sat every evening for about a week going through iDrive and perfecting all my settings
seccsc239.00
      04-24-2020, 07:04 PM   #18
-EndOfAnEra-
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
EndOfAnEra,
I do appreciate your thread a few weeks ago and some of your comments here.

1. I do feel like the G20 is light on its feet. Do I believe the car is almost 4000 lbs? I don't think so. I executed many military moves over the years and my E90 weighed with a full tank of fuel right at 3600 lbs. I need to drive out to a truck stop and verify the actual weight with a full tank of fuel. Do I notice a big difference? Yes and no. The car is bigger, so yes, on that perspective. Do I feel it when I'm driving the curvy bends? No. The car is pretty amazing around the turns. Too bad the car does not record and supply an all-wheel Drive event display. This would provide some perspective how much front wheel drive is being applied.
Yes, the more I drive the car, the less the weight seems to matter. If she steps out (which you may never have a problem with!) there is definitely more inertia to bring her back but nothing you'd notice on normal streets.

I will say though, the size is definitely surprising. Although no wider, the length makes it feel larger and having the wipers more inset also contributes to making it feel like a bigger car than it is. I'm sure I will get used to it in time.

Quote:
2. Does Sport Plus provide more steering feel? I am with you, I haven't had enough drive time to make an assessment. However, I do prefer the Sport Plus steering. I have a 120 miles on the odometer.
Your earlier comment inspired me, I started driving with Sport steering instead of Comfort. I am feeling... something, reminiscent of tires on asphalt. Switch between Comfort and Sport and you'll catch it while driving straight. It's too soon to tell if it is true feeling because it doesn't really vary no matter how much I turn the wheel. I wouldn't be surprised if its engineered "essence of steering feel" as a reminder of what they used to be like

Quote:
3. I do like the digital dash, even the tachometer. At first seeing the tach, I did not but don't mind it now. Just like you, I'm usually using the HUD anyway.
I haven't tried the reduced mode. I will try the reduced mode this weekend or next week when I drive to work.
Glad you are finding the transition better than me! I finally found how to get the instant MPG meter on the screen in sports mode (silly I know, but its the key for me of figuring out how to use the powerband smoothly!)

Quote:
4. The xDrive grip is outstanding. One of the main reasons I bought the option is later when I will tune the car. IMHO, this was a must option for the power later on. And second reason was if my future job placed me in a snowy or bad weather region, I now have all wheel drive.
Absolutely true and a good thought there! Being my first "medium" horsepower car, I wasn't thinking of tuning out the gate. Guess I'll find out later!

Quote:
I few other things to discuss,

1. Power delivery and the tranny shifting is awesome. The ZF tranny is amazing and lightening quick. Is M340i more powerful than my previous E90? In my short assessment, no. I had MHD Stage 2 and XHP Stage 2 on my N54. However, I haven't been able to really flog it during the break in.

Cheers!
I just found out that I can HOLD the left paddle while braking to use all my brakes AND all my engine braking at the same down as it rips down the transmission very fast. That's a very nice trick that would have been impossible for my manual skill level in my E90!

I'm glad you were able to find my earlier posting so helpful, this car is really proving what a monumental step it is in so many ways from my E90, and also constantly reminding me that progress comes with cost. Still, I am having a blast and I learn something new everytime I take a too rare drive!

Cheers!
Appreciate 1
seccsc239.00
      05-23-2020, 06:57 AM   #19
seccsc
Captain
United_States
Rep

Some more thoughts over the last few weeks.

Steering:
I find myself only using the Sport, Sport Plus, and Eco Pro modes due to the Comfort and Adaptive modes only providing the comfort steering. The comfort steering really bothers me and reminds me of non-sports car. I'm not quite sure why online reviewers found the Sport steering to be too heavy. Makes me wonder if they ever drove a BMW from years ago....? It would be nice if I could apply the Sport steering in all modes.

Future maintenance by me:

I appreciate the layout of the engine bay and how accessible everything is compared to my previous N54. Pulling the cover off of the B58, you instantly have access to a lot. The same access in my previous N54, would of been 15 minutes of work getting the tooling and pulling stuff out. I appreciate BMW improving the engineering layout from the previous models.
Attached Images

05-23-2020, 07:02 AM   #20
Burrcold
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:

Steering:
I find myself only using the Sport, Sport Plus, and Eco Pro modes due to the Comfort and Adaptive modes only providing the comfort steering. The comfort steering really bothers me and reminds me of non-sports car. I'm not quite sure why online reviewers found the Sport steering to be too heavy. Makes me wonder if they ever drove a BMW from years ago....? It would be nice if I could apply the Sport steering in all modes.

I appreciate the layout of the engine bay and how accessible everything is compared to my previous N54. Pulling the cover off of the B58, you instantly have access to a lot. The same access in my previous N54, would of been 15 minutes of work getting the tooling and pulling stuff out. I appreciate BMW improving the engineering layout from the previous models.
If you want to drive in Comfort with sport steering, use Sport Individual. Set everything to Comfort with steering set to Sport.
      05-23-2020, 07:19 AM   #21
seccsc
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burrcold View Post
Quote:

Steering:

If you want to drive in Comfort with sport steering, use Sport Individual. Set everything to Comfort with steering set to Sport.
Agree. Typically, I only use Sport Plus and Eco Pro. It would be nice to have the Sport steering in the Adaptive mode. I would probably use the Adaptive mode more if that option was configurable.
Cheers!
      05-23-2020, 11:52 AM   #22
-EndOfAnEra-
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Great observations! I'll add my own. +I'm officially retracting two of my statements made in the past. The G20 steering DOES feel better in Sport Mode! The heaviness does get attached to a bit more overall feel. No, nothing like the E90 hydraulic, but enough to intuit the position of the front end during cornering. Still feels like trying to find the front wheels while the whole axle is dipped in custard but its there!

One of my more recent observations is hard to describe. In sport steering, at around 40 MPH, the wheel will spin quick enough that it "catches up" to your fingers in a tight turn, and give the impression that the car is pivoting around you at hip level. This remarkable sensation of oneness with the car was possible with the E90 at much lower speeds (20~25 MPH or so). It's probably due to the increased weight and grip of the M340i out of corners through the LSD that you get the sensation with higher speeds only. More driving is needed!

Thanks also for that shot with the engine cover off! Looks like cylinder 6 (or is it 1 now?) will be a little easier to access without disassembling the entire upper air intake as was needed on the N55!
Appreciate 2
seccsc239.00