Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Ordering / Pricing / Order Tracking Forum Should I have the M Performance parts installed at port or after delivery?

10-17-2019, 07:39 PM   #1
Pacman123
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Mazda 3 , BMW M340i Xdrive

Should I have the M Performance parts installed at port or after delivery?

Looking into the M performance parts for the M340i. It seems like you can either have it installed at the port before delivery or buy the parts from a third party. If you get them from a third party does bmw install them for you if you bring them in once your car is delivered, for a price ?

Has anyone had experience ordering these parts, is it best to stay with doing it at the port or buy them from a third party at a discounted price and pay bmw to install once you take delivery?
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2019, 10:50 PM   #2
NYC_340i
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 M340i xDrive, '11 X3 28i

If you are leasing I'd say getting the parts port installed is the best option which is what I ended up doing. No labor fees, no worrying about installing/removing parts and the price of the parts are residualized into the lease so you don't have to pay the full price up front.

Otherwise, the dealer is going to charge a lot of money to install the parts unless you negotiate a discount or free install as part of your deal. Also while you can get OEM parts through a third party it might vary if the dealer you are working with will want to install them. If you aren't port installing I'd just buy the parts for cheaper off one of the vendors on this forum and install it yourself or through a BMW Indy shop.

Current: 2020 M340xi
Previous: 2016 340xi
Appreciate 1
paliknight2186.50
      10-17-2019, 11:53 PM   #3
WXdrivefun
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: G20 330Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacman123 View Post
Looking into the M performance parts for the M340i. It seems like you can either have it installed at the port before delivery or buy the parts from a third party. If you get them from a third party does bmw install them for you if you bring them in once your car is delivered, for a price ?

Has anyone had experience ordering these parts, is it best to stay with doing it at the port or buy them from a third party at a discounted price and pay bmw to install once you take delivery?
In Canada, we do not get port installed option for M-performance parts. So when purchasing the vehicle, in my opinion, it is best to include the cost of M-performance parts (Negotiable) and installation cost as part of the total price negotiation at the dealership.

If you buy the OEM M-performance parts from third party and ask BMW dealership to install, the cost for install at the BMW dealership is obviously more expensive compared to installing the OEM M-performance parts at third party Authorized Auto body shop or third party BMW Mod-shop.

Advantages of port install:
-You pickup the vehicle faster with all the M-performance mods on vehicle ready to drive way
-The parts get residualized in lease, from what I hear.

Disadvantages of port install:
-takes longer for delivery to wait for the M-Performance parts to install
-If you order M-performance part that is a direct replacement (ie. 795M 20 inch rims or CF mirror caps and have them installed at the port, the OEM wheels will be gone and OEM mirror caps will be gone.

Me personally, I would get port installed M-performance parts on items that are not direct replacements only add-on esthetics.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2019, 05:32 AM   #4
Pacman123
Private First Class
Rep

I am purchasing my m340. This is my first bmw so I am unaware of any independent shops that would be able to install the parts in my area. I'm in the Philadelphia metro area if anyone has any recommendations.

I am only looking to add the gloss black grill and rear lip spoiler so nothing would be swapped out that I would miss. The original grill doesn't get much love on the forums anyway. I'm reaching out to my CA today to see what he can offer in terms of price for the parts plus install.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2019, 08:56 AM   #5
themnmd
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 23 X5MC

Garage List
I purchased aluminum pedals black grill and bumper trim from 3rd party and had dealer install them. Yes it a bit pricey. Also they will only do OEM parts. In my experience they did a perfect job and will stand behind the work. Car - 2020 M340.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2019, 09:06 AM   #6
GOLFFRR
Rep
Drives: GOLFFRR cart

Quote:

you dont have to buy OEM BMW parts from a third party. All 3rd party vendors who sell OEM parts get them from a BMW dealer in some way. You can either buy them from them or direct from a BMW dealer. We sell them at a huge discount if your interested just PM PARTS@STBMW bmwpartspros.com

as far as getting parts installed at a dealer, yes BMW dealers will install BMW parts however it would def make sense to get quotes from BMW dealers and 3rd party shops on installs as some fo the parts can be easily installed at a cheaper price at other places or even with a DUI

the one benefit in getting installed parts at the port is you can roll the cost of the pieces into the cost of the car which a lot like rather then paying it all up front. But you do lose the standards parts with that process which doesn't let you sell them once you get rid of the car

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, EMAIL OUR GUY KOTE FIRST!
Kote M Sales:Kotem@bmwofcamarillo.com Cell:805-368-9101
vipfinance@bmwofcamarillo.com for warranties!
Appreciate 1
      10-18-2019, 09:06 AM   #7
Pacman123
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by themnmd View Post
I purchased aluminum pedals black grill and bumper trim from 3rd party and had dealer install them. Yes it a bit pricey. Also they will only do OEM parts. In my experience they did a perfect job and will stand behind the work. Car - 2020 M340.
How much did you pay to have your OEM parts installed. You can get a pretty good discount buying from a third party.

For example, https://www.bmwpartspros.com/oem-par...b3J5IFBhZ2U%3D .

This grill is heavily discounted online. If BMW dealer charges you regardless of if you buy it online or from them to install. It would seem you could see savings buying yourself.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2019, 02:23 PM   #8
TTG
United_States
Rep
Drives: M340

Garage List
Anything that requires paint = Port Installed

All others, you can buy them much cheaper afterwards and can easily install them yourself. (grills, trim, exhaust & etc)

And at the end of your lease, you can sell them and recover some of your original cost.
2007 E92 335i -Space Gray.....ED Oct 19th, 2006 - Retired
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2019, 03:44 PM   #9
themnmd
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 23 X5MC

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by themnmd View Post
How much did you pay to have your OEM parts installed. You can get a pretty good discount buying from a third party.

For example, https://www.bmwpartspros.com/oem-par...b3J5IFBhZ2U%3D .

This grill is heavily discounted online. If BMW dealer charges you regardless of if you buy it online or from them to install. It would seem you could see savings buying yourself.
Got parts from bmwpartspros . Dealer charged about $500 for everything. For the grill they will tell you that the grill needs to be removed, as instructed by BMW. They told me they won't warranty the work otherwise. Like I said pricey, to me worth it. Especially if you save a bit by buying 3rd party
Appreciate 0