Bimmerpost
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions Carwow - BMW M340i v Audi S4 Diesel v AMG E53 v Volvo S60 Polestar Drag Race

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-09-2020, 08:59 AM   #67
04cobra
Major
534
Rep
1,010
Posts

Drives: 2015 M3 - 6MT
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: MN

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Game View Post
That doesn't sound right.
Its not, unless you are doing zero options and putting $ down, or negotiating a very low sales price. The lease amount will be around $750-$850 a month for average options and no $ down with the current January lease rates (10k miles 60% residual, and .0016MF)
__________________
2016 Ford Explorer Sports
2018 Trackhawk
2015 - BMW M3 6MT

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzz...8VHbpz5MaISxTw
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2020, 10:33 AM   #68
upsidedownfunnel
Colonel
United_States
1420
Rep
2,011
Posts

Drives: 2014 335i
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Irvine, CA

iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2014 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich8566 View Post
I drove a new 2019 BMW M340 for a couple of days. It is an amazing car. It has very strong acceleration and it handles well. The interior is relatively quiet and it gets excellent fuel economy on the highway. Over the course of 350 mainly highway miles, at an average speed of about 75MPH the car returned 37MPG. One thing I did not like was the lane keeping technology. If the car drifts towards the outside of a lane the car is nudged back into the lane, which is fine. However, if you signal a lane change the nannies do not kick in. I did try to change lanes without signaling and the car reacted in a disconcerting manner. I was able to override the lane keeping software, but not before the car strongly tried to keep the car in my lane. In fact, the car actually felt "sloppy" and disconcerting when I forced the lane change without signaling. This could be problematic in a panic lane change situation. My verdict is that it is a great car. And, as long as you always signal a lane change you'll be fine with the lane keeping technology.
It's interesting that you think there's any situation where you wouldn't use two hands and your turn signal when changing lanes. This is a BMW forum so I shouldn't be surprised. I guess the stereotype of bad BMW drivers is true.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2020, 11:32 AM   #69
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Sedan_Clan's Avatar
Brazil
4033
Rep
15,523
Posts

Drives: '17 Nardo Grey M4
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: On 2 wheels clipping an apex!

iTrader: (26)

So the BMW won and is the lightest weighing car of the bunch. Right on!
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2020, 01:28 PM   #70
Ristau
Private First Class
Ristau's Avatar
United_States
52
Rep
128
Posts

Drives: 2020 M340i XDrive
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Ballwin, MO

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by am3r1ka View Post
Not going to lie, my money was on the S4 due to the torque but wow that M340i is a rocket.
Rode in an S5 sportback, and I was very unimpressed (reminded me of my F30 335i with Map 1 JB4). The interior is a nicer place than my M340i, but IMO it's nowhere near the performance.

**Just remembered that the S4 in the video is the new diesel one. I was talking about a 2019 Gasoline S5 (in the US)

Last edited by Ristau; 01-09-2020 at 01:34 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2020, 04:12 PM   #71
Luminor513
Lieutenant
52
Rep
527
Posts

Drives: 2020 G05 x drive 40i BSM/Blk M
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: South Florida

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer456 View Post
Give the others a couple of years to catch up to BMW it will no longer be leading the pack and will need an LCI power bump to keep up.
All of the others are brand new models as well or at least brand new power trains. The only question I have is the North America market S4 has a gasoline/turbo powertrain not diesel, so I'm not sure how that would compare to the M340, but this video still shows that the M340 dominates its class.
__________________
2020 G05 x drive 40i BSM/Blk Merino
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2020, 04:38 PM   #72
VipinLJ
Petrolhead
VipinLJ's Avatar
United_States
56
Rep
340
Posts

Drives: BMW 330i, X3, Audi SQ5, A7
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: Illinois

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luminor513 View Post
All of the others are brand new models as well or at least brand new power trains. The only question I have is the North America market S4 has a gasoline/turbo powertrain not diesel, so I'm not sure how that would compare to the M340, but this video still shows that the M340 dominates its class.
The petrol S5 should be closer to the M340i than the diesel S4 in the carwow video.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2020, 06:36 PM   #73
trey100
Colonel
trey100's Avatar
733
Rep
2,213
Posts

Drives: 2016 M3 6MT
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: New York

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antec800 View Post
The e53 is quicker then the c43
Should be. Something went wrong with this E53. The C43 tested at 12.7-12.8 if I recall.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2020, 08:39 PM   #74
EXE46
Second Lieutenant
EXE46's Avatar
United_States
291
Rep
283
Posts

Drives: 2020 M340i RWD
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: State of Dystopia

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
So the BMW won and is the lightest weighing car of the bunch. Right on!
I saw that and wonder to myself, how is it we have so many whiners who say BMW has lost it's way. As evidenced here, BMW is simply evolving with the times. Just like in the past, they're building very competitive cars. You wouldn't gather that from some of these posters who make it seem as though BMW is stagnant. While the competition are producing 3000 lbs Cayman GTS derivatives in a saloon, complete bullocks.
__________________
Prior's: E36, E46 x2
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan4032.50

      01-09-2020, 09:10 PM   #75
NYC_340i
First Lieutenant
United_States
106
Rep
397
Posts

Drives: '20 M340i xDrive, '11 X3 28i
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Staten Island, NY

iTrader: (0)

Damn I was pretty impressed, especially since it won against the Merc! Great to see how capable this car is. Not able to go to the drag strip until spring comes along but I can't wait to see how fast it goes, especially considering the extra 40 HP or so that the US version has.

Just goes to show how the numbers really mean nothing (especially with the shenanigans BMW play with them)... Lowest torque out of the other 3 and second lowest in horsepower but it demolished the Audi and Volvo. I guess the 600 less pounds helped it along. I bet with the lowest weight it'll be an even bigger gap on an actual track.
__________________

Current: 2020 M340xi
Previous: 2016 340xi, 2013 Volkswagen CC Executive 4Motion
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan4032.50

      01-09-2020, 11:06 PM   #76
rich8566
Major
rich8566's Avatar
United_States
562
Rep
1,122
Posts

Drives: M2
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: NY

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2014 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by upsidedownfunnel View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich8566 View Post
I drove a new 2019 BMW M340 for a couple of days. It is an amazing car. It has very strong acceleration and it handles well. The interior is relatively quiet and it gets excellent fuel economy on the highway. Over the course of 350 mainly highway miles, at an average speed of about 75MPH the car returned 37MPG. One thing I did not like was the lane keeping technology. If the car drifts towards the outside of a lane the car is nudged back into the lane, which is fine. However, if you signal a lane change the nannies do not kick in. I did try to change lanes without signaling and the car reacted in a disconcerting manner. I was able to override the lane keeping software, but not before the car strongly tried to keep the car in my lane. In fact, the car actually felt "sloppy" and disconcerting when I forced the lane change without signaling. This could be problematic in a panic lane change situation. My verdict is that it is a great car. And, as long as you always signal a lane change you'll be fine with the lane keeping technology.
It's interesting that you think there's any situation where you wouldn't use two hands and your turn signal when changing lanes. This is a BMW forum so I shouldn't be surprised. I guess the stereotype of bad BMW drivers is true.
I didn't say I would ever do that. I'm just reporting that I tested how the system works.
__________________
Current: 2017 ///M2 manual
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2020, 07:14 AM   #77
clee1982
Major
United_States
570
Rep
1,428
Posts

Drives: 2019 BMW 540i xDrive
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: NYC

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC_340i View Post
Damn I was pretty impressed, especially since it won against the Merc! Great to see how capable this car is. Not able to go to the drag strip until spring comes along but I can't wait to see how fast it goes, especially considering the extra 40 HP or so that the US version has.

Just goes to show how the numbers really mean nothing (especially with the shenanigans BMW play with them)... Lowest torque out of the other 3 and second lowest in horsepower but it demolished the Audi and Volvo. I guess the 600 less pounds helped it along. I bet with the lowest weight it'll be an even bigger gap on an actual track.
US version only has ~10 more hp (374 vs 384), they just decided to use the lessor engine for Z4 outside North America for whatever reason.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2020, 09:18 AM   #78
Burrcold
First Lieutenant
Canada
193
Rep
356
Posts

Drives: 2020 BMW M340i xDrive
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Toronto, Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by VipinLJ View Post
The petrol S5 should be closer to the M340i than the diesel S4 in the carwow video.
Maybe closer, but still significantly behind. The M340i is much faster (regardless of what it may look like on paper).
__________________
2020 BMW M340i xDrive
2019 Audi S5 Sportback - RIP
2019 Audi S4 - Sold
2018 Audi S5 Coupe - Sold
2018 Lexus IS350 F Sport - Sold
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2020, 10:38 AM   #79
NYC_340i
First Lieutenant
United_States
106
Rep
397
Posts

Drives: '20 M340i xDrive, '11 X3 28i
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Staten Island, NY

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by clee1982 View Post
US version only has ~10 more hp (374 vs 384), they just decided to use the lessor engine for Z4 outside North America for whatever reason.
Aah my mistake I got confused with the 347hp number of the Audi from the video...
__________________

Current: 2020 M340xi
Previous: 2016 340xi, 2013 Volkswagen CC Executive 4Motion
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:24 PM.




g20
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST