Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Technical Topics DIYs and Coding Discussions Radio coming on when opening boot.

08-03-2023, 04:30 PM   #1
andy5468
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 M340D LCI

Radio coming on when opening boot.

I've just replaced my old G20 for a G20 LCI 2023. I notice that the radio comes on every time I open the passenger door or open the boot lid to get something out of the car.

As I don't intend to get in the car and drive off, I don't want the radio blaring music out every time I go to the car to get something. This issue never occurred with my previous G20.

Is anyone aware of how I can prevent this from happening?

Last edited by andy5468; 08-23-2023 at 04:37 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2023, 04:36 PM   #2
andy5468
Private First Class
Rep

Anyone else have this with theirs??
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2023, 04:27 PM   #3
BLK.G20
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 M340 Xdrive, 2023 M3CX

This happens with me too. Curious if anyone has a fix or knows a setting to disable this.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2023, 04:47 PM   #4
crpediem_2
Private
Rep
Drives: 330i

This was happening to me. I agree it’s very frustrating. You can go into your settings and set where it says turn off at door opening. The key is to open the trunk before you open your door. Then the radio will turn off.

But honestly, this is too much work for me so now I just turn off the radio Any time I turn off the car, then turn it back on when I start.

Not sure why Bmw can’t be normal and just turn off your radio when you turn off your car.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-25-2023, 04:13 PM   #5
andy5468
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by crpediem_2 View Post
This was happening to me. I agree it’s very frustrating. You can go into your settings and set where it says turn off at door opening. The key is to open the trunk before you open your door. Then the radio will turn off.

But honestly, this is too much work for me so now I just turn off the radio Any time I turn off the car, then turn it back on when I start.

Not sure why Bmw can’t be normal and just turn off your radio when you turn off your car.
The radio turns off when I exit the car as expected. Annoyingly It turns on when I return to the car and open the boot/trunk or passenger door to either retrieve something from the car or put my shopping in the boot/trunk.

I only want the radio to come on when I open the drivers door, ready to get in the car and drive away.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2023, 05:28 PM   #6
vadimo
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 F30 320D X-Drive

Garage List
2020 M340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy5468 View Post
I've just replaced my old G20 for a G20 LCI 2023. I notice that the radio comes on every time I open the passenger door or open the boot lid to get something out of the car.

As I don't intend to get in the car and drive off, I don't want the radio blaring music out every time I go to the car to get something. This issue never occurred with my previous G20.

Is anyone aware of how I can prevent this from happening?
Had similar thing, it's to do with quick short cut buttons, I remember I programmed a function which was radio station and at that time of pressing down the shortcut button to save I was in reverse drive.

So after that everytime I reverse, in addition radio would come on.

I was able to resolve this by undoing this quick shortcut button in reverse mode engaged.
Current Ride: 2020 G20 M340i in Metallic Black Sapphire with Individual Full Merino Ivory White and Piano Black Trim Previous Ride1: 2014 F30 M Sport 320D X-Drive Auto, Dakota Beige Leather, M Sport Brakes, Adaptive M Suspension, Paddle Shifters, 19" 403 Alloys, Folding Mirrors, Pro Sat Nav & Harman Kardon Surround Sound. Previous Ride2: 2004 E46 M Sport 320CI Auto, Montana Beige Leather & 18" 135M Alloys.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2023, 04:27 AM   #7
andy5468
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vadimo View Post
Had similar thing, it's to do with quick short cut buttons, I remember I programmed a function which was radio station and at that time of pressing down the shortcut button to save I was in reverse drive.

So after that everytime I reverse, in addition radio would come on.

I was able to resolve this by undoing this quick shortcut button in reverse mode engaged.
Deleted all my shortcuts. Issue still persists.

Opening the passenger door or trunk brings the radio on along with all the dash displays!

Am I missing something here?
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2023, 04:33 AM   #8
vadimo
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 F30 320D X-Drive

Garage List
2020 M340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Deleted all my shortcuts. Issue still persists.

Opening the passenger door or trunk brings the radio on along with all the dash displays!

Am I missing something here?

So the thing for me was not simply deleting but engaging reverse mode and whilst deleting radio preset.

Did you for example open a Passanger door and then deleted the preset ?
Current Ride: 2020 G20 M340i in Metallic Black Sapphire with Individual Full Merino Ivory White and Piano Black Trim Previous Ride1: 2014 F30 M Sport 320D X-Drive Auto, Dakota Beige Leather, M Sport Brakes, Adaptive M Suspension, Paddle Shifters, 19" 403 Alloys, Folding Mirrors, Pro Sat Nav & Harman Kardon Surround Sound. Previous Ride2: 2004 E46 M Sport 320CI Auto, Montana Beige Leather & 18" 135M Alloys.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2023, 04:42 AM   #9
andy5468
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vadimo View Post
So the thing for me was not simply deleting but engaging reverse mode and whilst deleting radio preset.

Did you for example open a Passenger door and then deleted the preset ?
Thanks for your suggestions.

It's not just the radio that comes on. All the dash and displays come on as if I am getting in the car to drive away. It also does this whenever I open the trunk/boot too.

I would only expect this when I open the drivers door.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2023, 05:24 AM   #10
G22b58
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G22

Quote:
Thanks for your suggestions.

It's not just the radio that comes on. All the dash and displays come on as if I am getting in the car to drive away. It also does this whenever I open the trunk/boot too.

I would only expect this when I open the drivers door.
And if the radio/music source is designed to start playing before the door is closed, the designer must have had a bad day.

This is how my 2021 M440i with iDrive 7 behaves in day to day driving with the setting "Turn off when drivers door is opened:
1) I'm driving the car with music on.
2) Turning off the car and music turns off when I open the door (if no passenger then it continuous). If I manually start it again the radio and dash turns off when the car is locked.
3) Next day starting the car, the music starts playing after starting the engine. If the music was turned off in the previous drive, it doesn't automatically turn on.

So iDrive 7 works nicely. Have you reported the iDrive 8 misbehavior to BMW?
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2023, 06:05 AM   #11
andy5468
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by G22b58 View Post
And if the radio/music source is designed to start playing before the door is closed, the designer must have had a bad day.

This is how my 2021 M440i with iDrive 7 behaves in day to day driving with the setting "Turn off when drivers door is opened:
1) I'm driving the car with music on.
2) Turning off the car and music turns off when I open the door (if no passenger then it continuous). If I manually start it again the radio and dash turns off when the car is locked.
3) Next day starting the car, the music starts playing after starting the engine. If the music was turned off in the previous drive, it doesn't automatically turn on.

So iDrive 7 works nicely. Have you reported the iDrive 8 misbehaviour to BMW?
Indeed. My I drive 7 worked fine in my last G20.

I am trying to establish if this is the norm for other members with the same car with I drive 8.

If this behaviour is not normal or can't be switched off in the menu, Ill take the car back to the dealer.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2023, 07:17 AM   #12
crpediem_2
Private
Rep

So what I think is happening is that the BMW engineers did not specify that the trunk is not a “door” but just labeled it as in action that is opening some thing on the car. When something like a door or trunk is opened the radio turns on. So when you set the setting in I8 to turn off system at door opening, It will turn off once you open the drivers door . But then, when you open the trunk after that, it turns the radio back on the only other solution I could think of would be to open any other doors or the trunk, then open the driver door last.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2023, 07:23 AM   #13
crpediem_2
Private
Rep

And since I keep forgetting to open all the other doors before I open the driver door. The solution for me is just to turn the radio off pushing by pushing the volume button every time I turn the car off.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2023, 10:24 AM   #14
andy5468
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
And since I keep forgetting to open all the other doors before I open the driver door. The solution for me is just to turn the radio off pushing by pushing the volume button every time I turn the car off.
Sound like I'm going to have to resort to manually switching off the radio before I get out of the car and then turn it on when I get back in.

I should add, these issues only occur when opening trunk, passenger door and driver door but not the rear doors.

Madness!
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2023, 10:27 AM   #15
andy5468
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
So what I think is happening is that the BMW engineers did not specify that the trunk is not a “door” but just labeled it as in action that is opening some thing on the car. When something like a door or trunk is opened the radio turns on. So when you set the setting in I8 to turn off system at door opening, It will turn off once you open the drivers door . But then, when you open the trunk after that, it turns the radio back on the only other solution I could think of would be to open any other doors or the trunk, then open the driver door last.
Not sure I want to open the drivers door, when I don't intend to get in the car
Appreciate 0