BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Technical Topics DIYs and Coding Discussions active grille broken

02-26-2024, 04:09 PM   #1
m340i.kai
Rep
Drives: Bmw M340i

Garage List
active grille broken

Hi i recently got a check engine light for my top active grille. It won't open fully and get stuck half way. I couldn't find the motor itself for replacement so i am dealing with buying the whole assembly. I am wondering about clearing the code with ISTA. It is a step from the fixing instruction. So my question is: can i just clear the engine light and that should go away? or ISTA is needed. If needed, should i just take my car to bmw and have them fix it? Obviously i want to buy the parts and install it myself so i don't have to over spend. Please lmk what y'all did or any suggestions! Thank you
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2024, 10:40 PM   #2
noname
Canyon Seeker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

I get this CEL from time to time. It goes away on it’s own but may come back if you start in sport plus
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2024, 11:04 PM   #3
m340i.kai
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by noname View Post
I get this CEL from time to time. It goes away on it’s own but may come back if you start in sport plus
Well my motor won’t open it fully so the code is saying that it’s detecting failed to fully open. My solution rn is to replace the motor only. I keep seeing Ista programming but don’t know how to program that. Ig I’ll have to deal with it when I’m at that step. Worst worst case is to take it to bmw dealership.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2024, 08:14 AM   #4
BLK.G20
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 M340 Xdrive, 2023 M3CX

Quote:
Originally Posted by m340i.kai View Post
Well my motor won’t open it fully so the code is saying that it’s detecting failed to fully open. My solution rn is to replace the motor only. I keep seeing Ista programming but don’t know how to program that. Ig I’ll have to deal with it when I’m at that step. Worst worst case is to take it to bmw dealership.
Your best bet is just doing the install and have dealer program and clear if you don't know how to do it on iSTA. Do the expensive part yourself.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2024, 08:43 AM   #5
eneka
Rep
Drives: e46->i3->g20

Quote:
My lower grill was throwing a CEL even though it open and closed fine. "upper limit sensor failed" or something like that. Replaced the whole assembly and just wiped the codes via ISTA+. From what I could tell, it was the same as any generic code reader/clearing codes. No programming whatsoever needed.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2024, 10:13 AM   #6
larrylam646
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i xDrive

Quote:
I experienced a similar issue. I fixed the issue by removing the motor and realigning the motor/flap gearing.
      03-04-2024, 12:27 PM   #7
m340i.kai
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by eneka View Post
My lower grill was throwing a CEL even though it open and closed fine. "upper limit sensor failed" or something like that. Replaced the whole assembly and just wiped the codes via ISTA+. From what I could tell, it was the same as any generic code reader/clearing codes. No programming whatsoever needed.
Thank you I needed to know what ista+ actually is. In that case I could use clear it with the code reader right? Interesting enough my code actually went away even tho I never replaced anything
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2024, 12:28 PM   #8
m340i.kai
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by larrylam646 View Post
I experienced a similar issue. I fixed the issue by removing the motor and realigning the motor/flap gearing.
So you didnt purchase any extra parts? My gf dad remove the motor and change the position to where when it’s opening it’ll be fully open instead of half way like before. Anyways 3 days later the code disappeared
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2024, 12:30 PM   #9
m340i.kai
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLK.G20 View Post
Your best bet is just doing the install and have dealer program and clear if you don't know how to do it on iSTA. Do the expensive part yourself.
How come it is needed to use ista to clear the code? My friend has one of the tablet that reads code, I was wondering if that would work as well?
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2024, 01:12 PM   #10
BLK.G20
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 M340 Xdrive, 2023 M3CX

Quote:
How come it is needed to use ista to clear the code? My friend has one of the tablet that reads code, I was wondering if that would work as well?
If he just has a diagnostic tool I doubt that has the capability to program new units to the car. You would need something like ISTA or BimmerUtility. Or take it to the dealer/ shop.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2024, 03:12 PM   #11
larrylam646
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i xDrive

Quote:
So you didnt purchase any extra parts? My gf dad remove the motor and change the position to where when it’s opening it’ll be fully open instead of half way like before. Anyways 3 days later the code disappeared
Glad to lean your vehicle is fixed.

To answer your question....No I did not have to purchase/replace any parts.