Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Technical Topics Wheels and Tires Proper Tire Inflation?

02-26-2022, 09:49 AM   #1
Lightngsvt
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 G20 M340i

Garage List
Proper Tire Inflation?

My car was built with performance RFT's, but I had non-RFT performance A/S mounted before delivery. The car now seems confused, it can't tell what tires are installed. The sticker in the door jamb says 38psi all around, I asked Tire Rack and they say to use factory inflation specs since the tires are the same size. IF I set the car to Winter/AS it wants to see pressures at 42/46 which seems way too high. When I set it to Manual it'll show me the pressure but no recommended PSI.

Nutshell, should I leave it set to manual and follow the posted recommendation of 38psi? Or go with the higher psi and set the car to Winter/AS tires (I realize it doesn't affect anything other than this setting)?
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2022, 11:05 AM   #2
mechman
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightngsvt View Post
My car was built with performance RFT's, but I had non-RFT performance A/S mounted before delivery. The car now seems confused, it can't tell what tires are installed. The sticker in the door jamb says 38psi all around, I asked Tire Rack and they say to use factory inflation specs since the tires are the same size. IF I set the car to Winter/AS it wants to see pressures at 42/46 which seems way too high. When I set it to Manual it'll show me the pressure but no recommended PSI.

Nutshell, should I leave it set to manual and follow the posted recommendation of 38psi? Or go with the higher psi and set the car to Winter/AS tires (I realize it doesn't affect anything other than this setting)?
There is a pretty detailed section in the G42 user manual showing all the recommended tire pressures based on all the potential tire options that the car can be optioned with from the factory.

I imagine there is a similar section in the G20 manual as well.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-27-2022, 12:55 PM   #3
jg4c
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 M340i XDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightngsvt View Post

I had the same issue. Forget the system. The door jamb 38 psi all around, matches the manual 38psi for your set up. Tire Rack is correct.

I replaced the HP summers that came on my car with the same size UHP AS's. I run the recommended 38 and it's perfect. 42/46 is way too high.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2022, 11:50 AM   #4
G30M
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW M550i; Kia EV6 GT

thanks for the picture

but all the tires are 225 front 255 rear and the pressures given vary from 32 psi to 46 psi.

i'm confused

anyway i'm running 34 front 35 rear in the 225 front 255 rear summer RFT
Appreciate 0