Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Technical Topics B48 4-Cylinder Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications jb+ issues on 2019 g20 330i

06-13-2022, 09:14 PM   #1
Marco.Polo
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2019 g20 330i

jb+ issues on 2019 g20 330i

I bought a used jb+, but I was away from my car for a few months so I couldn't install it. When I did, the car went into limp mode and the CEL turned on. I tried reinstalling it multiple times to no avail. I tried changing the boost pressure, and that also didn't work. I checked bimmercode to see the error and it said there was a short in the boost pressure sensor whenever it was installed (error code 121001). I then contacted BMS support, and they said I was sold a defective jb+ and that they would not honor the warranty. When I contacted the guy who sold me the jb+, he said that error is a known issue with the g20 330i, and I have to unlock the DME. I know that this is currently impossible, and I couldn't find any info about my issue on any forum, so is that just bs? Looks like I got scammed. I'm posting this in the hopes that someone has encountered this before and has a solution. If not, it looks like I'm stuck with a paperweight because I have no chance of getting my money back.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2022, 10:00 PM   #2
g20_shub
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 Bmw 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco.Polo View Post
I bought a used jb+, but I was away from my car for a few months so I couldn't install it. When I did, the car went into limp mode and the CEL turned on. I tried reinstalling it multiple times to no avail. I tried changing the boost pressure, and that also didn't work. I checked bimmercode to see the error and it said there was a short in the boost pressure sensor whenever it was installed (error code 121001). I then contacted BMS support, and they said I was sold a defective jb+ and that they would not honor the warranty. When I contacted the guy who sold me the jb+, he said that error is a known issue with the g20 330i, and I have to unlock the DME. I know that this is currently impossible, and I couldn't find any info about my issue on any forum, so is that just bs? Looks like I got scammed. I'm posting this in the hopes that someone has encountered this before and has a solution. If not, it looks like I'm stuck with a paperweight because I have no chance of getting my money back.
Ur dme does not have to be unlock for a jb plus . I currently run a jb plus 2021 model dme locked . I believe the jb plus you got is defective or broken. I'd say to try installing again and see how the car reacts. Make sure the sensors are clipped in properly and not loose
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2022, 10:41 PM   #3
VipinLJ
Petrolhead
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘20 330i,‘16 X3,‘18 SQ5,‘17 A7

Yup. There was no issue with the JB+ on the G20. And like g20_shub said, you don't need an unlocked DME to run a JB+ or JB4 or any other piggyback.
Looks like your connection is wrong or you bought a defective unit.
2017 Audi A7 Prestige
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2022, 10:11 AM   #4
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Unfortunately, this is one of the risks you take when you buy a used unit.

As long as the installation is correct and the unit is not defective, you will not have any issues.

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2022, 01:21 PM   #5
VipinLJ
Petrolhead
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘20 330i,‘16 X3,‘18 SQ5,‘17 A7

Just read the entire post. If you were scammed, please go ahead and post the name of the person you bought it from. It might help others avoid getting scammed.
2017 Audi A7 Prestige
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2022, 03:02 PM   #6
BigSky702
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 Sakhir Orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by g20_shub View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco.Polo View Post
Ur dme does not have to be unlock for a jb plus . I currently run a jb plus 2021 model dme locked . I believe the jb plus you got is defective or broken. I'd say to try installing again and see how the car reacts. Make sure the sensors are clipped in properly and not loose
Exactly!
That's the whole point of a piggyback to bypass having to unlock the DME

Previous: 2016 M4 Sakhir Orange

Not too distant future: ///M3 or ///M5 (ED)
Appreciate 1