Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Technical Topics B58 6-Cylinder Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications MHD Stage 2 - E40 / E85 Review

03-08-2024, 09:14 AM   #1
M340i Pride
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i

MHD Stage 2 - E40 / E85 Review

Hello everyone.
Just got the MHD about month and half ago and I am having a good times with these two maps.

Just a quick seat of the pants feed back.
No dyno / Draggy for me yet.

I did E40 tune right off the bat for a week.
I have a catless DP so it was a stage 2 from the get go. Since it was the first week I eased into it.
But the on the seat of the pants measurement told me that the parameters were far above and beyond JB4.

On a everyday commute there is a certain stretch of the road that I get on the throttle on the 6th gear.
I want to say 50-60 percent throttle.
Always on a roll, which is my philosophy of keeping a high powered car for a long time and still enjoy that power often.

Stock / JB4 had a definite moments of torque limiter activating and I would feel the engine pull back its power at a certain point.
I was always frustrated with that.
I am sure most people here knows about that.

With MHD I definitely went past that and the power was well exceeding above what I would feel daily.
That alone got me my money's worth.
I am never a 100% throttle kind of guy, nor do i have the room to do that on most instances.
Well, most of us probably don't.

The week after that and when my gas tank was nicely almost empty I went ahead and tried the E85 tune.

I thought the power was similar but as i drove more and more I realized that the "kick" is definitely less.
On E40 I get a explosive moment of car popping forward when going from 20% to like a 60% throttle on a roll in a FWY.
With E85, it seems the "kick" is more rounded and less abrupt.
Still a plenty of added power from stock and the power drop isn't that much.
I would say slightly less power but in everyday driving you wouldn't really feel that drop because the drop happens on higher throttle / RPM range.

But so far I like the E85 more.
Why? Because it is definitely smoother.
Not that the E40 tune was rough in any way, but E85 felt extra smooth for me.
Probably because of the varying E85 content that E85 gives from the pump.
My plan is always fill slightly more E85 than a projected E40 mix. That way I am either close to or slightly above E40, which I think is better than being under.
So say instead of 6 gal 91 / 4 gal E85 mix I would do 6 / 4.5 - 5 and see how that feels.

So from $$ point of view and feeling that smoothness I prefer E85 for now.
I don't mind not getting that extra 20-30 hp (a guesstimate)

On this coming week I will do another E85 tank for a week.
I did more E40 just because of fun mixing things up, but ultimately I will probably do more E85 on weekly basis.

Ill do more reviews as I try the other maps and features of the MHD. But so far, what a difference!!
Very enjoyable for me.

Be safe everyone out there
Appreciate 1
baturbo47.50
      03-08-2024, 11:55 AM   #2
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Thank you for sharing

Phone number 702-494-9435