Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions M340i one week impressions! (from 7 year E90 335i owner)

04-12-2020, 09:00 AM   #45
Carpe_BM
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: EX-BMW (2019 BMW X5 xDrive40i)

I got to pick an M340i as a loaner and holy smokes! I have so much fun driving my wife's C300 as it has so much punch and much nimbleness to it but this a whole new level! love the exhaust pops!
Appreciate 1
      04-12-2020, 05:11 PM   #46
The Automotive Enthusiast
Retired BMW Genius
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi S5 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by skaper View Post
Thanks for the review! It's great to hear this from someone going directly from the E90 platform!

Not that anyone asked but this makes me feel better that I went from an F30 to an N55 E90. I just can't get behind the G20 for some reason. I have to admit, I really love each time I slide in the e90 - it just feels like the last chance to have that feeling in a car as a daily. Soon the ones that survive will all just be weekend warriors.
Enjoy the hydraulic steering while it lasts. The e9x really was something special now that I look back.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LucBroDude View Post
TRAITOR.
Appreciate 1
      04-13-2020, 03:51 PM   #47
-EndOfAnEra-
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i RWD

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliusa View Post
Totally enjoyed reading a great write up.

With electric and technology infused cars the natural feel is reducing by the model and folks who are starting their BMW ownership with the G series will love it because it's all about different drive modes, fast acceleration, and super quick shifting.

Enjoy the ride!
Thanks! There is truth in this for sure, but I am still having a blast! Poking the car and using "maths" to figure out the limits is different but still fun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by performance_outlaw View Post
Interesting read. I had M340i for a weekend some time ago. EU spec car, so it was X-drive.
What I like about the car compared to my wife F30 or mine F32 was space you get in the cabin. Design wise... yeah it is new, can't say that is good or bad. I had same issue in my head when did transition from E91 to F32.
But you said performance-wise it is a different story than N55. I have N55 in my '15 435i rwd. Car is equipped with MPE, MPPK and diff. So you would call it ZHP in the US.
While M340i i tested is more consistent and noticably faster 0-62mph, I noticed 100-200km/h were nearly identical with small advantage of 435i. That has to do with x-drive vs rwd I guess, and I just think rwd M340i US spec rwd, would be slightly faster.
I did measurements with draggy and both cars did 100-200km/h in range of 11.4-11.9.
I think G20 is a great daily, but I'd say it is evolution not a revolution comparing to F30 platform.
E90 to F30 was a revolution. I think F and G are much better daily cars, while E90 was more of a weekend fun car.
But don't treat me seriously. I'm a E46 M3 fanboy and nothing matches experience you get from that car 😂
Thank you. Space is an improvement, especially in the legroom. However, maneuvering isn't much different because although it is longer, it is the same width as the E90.

I don't have a draggy so I can't comment on exact numbers. I feel that the extra 200 lbs makes a difference in feel and likely in acceleration in the RWD but it's still faster and not by a little bit. I do believe that it feels much more refined putting the power down on acceleration, even with the passive suspension.

And totally agree on your last point! I will have an N/A inline-6 attached to a row-your-own someday again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by xi330 View Post
Thank you for a great review. I miss my e90 330xi everyday
Thanks! The lightness and the steering feel are what I miss most.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AD18 View Post
Great review! And thanks for comparing to an E-series car instead of an F, first comparison I've seen of these two. I have trouble deciding what to change my E92 335i for next. The tech and power is impressive in the G series which I'd definitely enjoy but things like steering feel are important to me enough that its made me stick with what I've got for now.
Enjoy the car
Thanks! If you don't need 4 doors, get an M2 or M2 Comp and don't look back. If you do... BMW is still making the best new one out there now.

Steering feel is the great challenge, and there's not much there. I need to drive much more and with more challenging roads before I can determine if what is there is "good enough"...
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2020, 08:04 PM   #48
Aquastevae
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2004 325i E46, 2010 335i E90

While I like the new car, and am glad it works for the OP, I'll take my well-built 335i E90 all day long over this new edition. I ABSOLUTELY HATE BMW'S IDEA OF MAKING THE GRILLS GIGANTIC!!!!! It looks ridiculous, in my opinion, and not at all like a BMW. I like the stance, power, build-ability and modifications of an E90.
That said, I'm glad the 340i works for the OP, and everyone has their own opinion on these cars. That was mine...
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2020, 11:54 PM   #49
lucasmiller2015
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquastevae View Post
While I like the new car, and am glad it works for the OP, I'll take my well-built 335i E90 all day long over this new edition. I ABSOLUTELY HATE BMW'S IDEA OF MAKING THE GRILLS GIGANTIC!!!!! It looks ridiculous, in my opinion, and not at all like a BMW. I like the stance, power, build-ability and modifications of an E90.
That said, I'm glad the 340i works for the OP, and everyone has their own opinion on these cars. That was mine...
The G20 grill isn't significantly larger than the F30 or E90. Also, now that the B58 doesn't have the fuel limitations that the first iteration had, you can easily get close to or hit 500 whp with just a tune, downpipe, and an ethanol blend in the tank. Good luck getting that kind of power on the E90 without significantly more modification required, especially on the N55.

Previous: 2011 E90 335i | Black Sapphire Metallic | 2007 E90 335i | Monaco Blue Metallic
Appreciate 1
Vratis0.00
      08-05-2020, 07:18 AM   #50
Burrcold
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2024 M3 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquastevae View Post
You joined just to say that? Must have been really eating away at you...